View Full Version : Anyone offer help with laundry organization?

jacob.und
03-09-10, 05:25 PM
I find this slightly humorous, but none the less, I have a serious problem: laundry. I have no problems cleaning my place at all, but of all things, laundry is an ADD- nightmare for me. There are just so many steps to the process of laundry, that even thinking about it is enough to lose motivation.

I think if I had my own washer and dryer it would not be so bad, but I have to take my clothes out of my apartment to have the clean. Has anyone else had this kind of problem and found ways to cope with this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

danelady
03-09-10, 05:35 PM
I can't believe you just posted this! I was thinking this today too! I hate laundry with some kinda sick passion. Was I thrown into a dryer and tortured as a kid? I don't know. I will buy new clothes to get outta doing laundry. If I'm gonna be hanging around with a bunch of strangers for an hour or more I want there to be a bartender and alcohol there too.

croweater
03-09-10, 06:43 PM
I can't believe you just posted this! I was thinking this today too! I hate laundry with some kinda sick passion. Was I thrown into a dryer and tortured as a kid? I don't know. I will buy new clothes to get outta doing laundry. If I'm gonna be hanging around with a bunch of strangers for an hour or more I want there to be a bartender and alcohol there too.

Hey, now there's a business opportunity for the taking! :D

I'm ok with the washing part of the laundry, but when it comes to sorting out the clean dry stuff into everyone's different piles and putting them away in to the correct drawers, I struggle to focus.

Jacob, you mention that if you had your own laundry equipment, you would probably be OK. Do you think it might have something to do with having to use communal amenities?

danelady
03-09-10, 07:41 PM
[quote=croweater;850976] I'm ok with the washing part of the laundry, but when it comes to sorting out the clean dry stuff into everyone's different piles and putting them away in to the correct drawers, I struggle to focus quote]

O man,I can't even think about that! I have no idea how my son turned out the way he did. He figured out real young it was easier to learn to do his own clothes.
Just wondering Jacob,how long between washings. If the top of the mountain of clothes gets to eye level,well,that can be daunting,to say the least. Well,it is for me...NOT saying you're that way!:o

croweater
03-09-10, 08:12 PM
Yeah, we often end up climbing Mt Washington to find clean clothes in this house.

GreyStreet
03-18-10, 12:00 AM
I actually just got some advice on doing laundry today, not sure how helpful with using a laundromat but here goes.

Break it into smaller steps:
-find something to put clothes in (one or more hampers, etc)
-find all the dirty clothes, put them by the hampers
-sort them into hampers (if you do that, I don't, I just put them all together)
-put first load into washer and set a timer for washer length cycle
-when timer goes off, put load into dryer and reset timer for dryer length cycle
-put second load into washer
-etc
-when a load is dry, fold it and stack it somewhere (or put it away right now)
-then put away the stacks

When I had to use a laundromat, I brought my computer (even if there's no internet there's bound to be a power outlet) and played games - just make sure you notice the timer!

She also recommended listening to a book on tape or a "laundry playlist" of music you really like while folding to make it more interesting (I watched a show while folding today and survived it!)

I hope this helps!

meridian
03-18-10, 12:49 AM
Many laundromats offer "wash & fold" service where they do the work for you. I did that for years.

I read a great tip regarding socks.

Throw away all of your socks -- yes even the ones that actually match -- and then go out and buy identical sets of white athletic socks and black dress socks.

That way when you've done the wash, ALL of the black socks match each other and all of the white socks match each other.

CR721
03-18-10, 12:52 AM
I put all my clean clothes on the floor in the corner.Haha. I fold when the pills are working great that day.

ginniebean
03-18-10, 05:34 AM
If you're not washing anything really new, just throw it all in (no sorting) in cold water with a cold water detergent.

Two colours of laundry tubs, (you can have as many as you want.) One colour for dirty, one colour for clean.

If you are a visual ADHDer get rid of your dresser, it's just a damn mess anyway. Get shelves and just walk over with your stack of pants or shirts or whatever and stick it on/in the shelf. Everything is visible. You can get those hanging 'shelves and a portable clothes rack for a fairly inexpensive price.

mrs. dobbs
03-19-10, 04:53 PM
Lol I'm all for a laundry with a bar. I cannot stand being around people doing my laundry. RARGH. I never washed my clothes when I had to go to the laundromat. Once I smoked a little green to take the edge off before I went to do my laundry. I was folding a single sheet for ten minutes!

I also can't stand dressers or drawers! My clothes live in piles of clean and dirty on the bed and then at night on the floor. All because I force myself to keep thinking that I must use drawers. BUT I don't have to!

I think I did best when everything I owned (except socks and undies) lived on hangers. The closet door was constantly open so I could see it all, and hanging things up was super easy. And if I smashed them together, they ironed themselves. :)

I'm good about throwing dirty clothes in various hampers (in all rooms where I shed my clothes, there are hampers) and I'm good about washing now. Because there's a washer in the house. Before I developed a criterion for sorting colors, I'd procrastinate. Now I have set color groups (browns+oranges, reds+purples, greens +blues, blacks+greys, colorful undies vs. white undies) and I just have different laundry sacks for different color groups. All my colors and non-undies go in cold, white undies+towels go in hot.

It's the putting away part that I don't do for the above-mentioned reasons.

Glad others have more helpful tips than I do.

ginniebean
03-22-10, 02:47 AM
Now I have set color groups (browns+oranges, reds+purples, greens +blues, blacks+greys, colorful undies vs. white undies) and I just have different laundry sacks for different color groups. All my colors and non-undies go in cold, white undies+towels go in hot.

I have two piles.. darks which cover browns, reds, purples, black, grey ( I do not notice any bleeding or altered colours cause I do mine in cold)

and lights which pretty much cover ANY lightly coloured clothes.

I can't manage a someting inbetween lights and darks.. tried.. couldn't do it.. couldn't care less.

stef
03-22-10, 06:39 AM
wow Iwas terrible with the laundromat or the washers in the college dorm! If I could actually remember the detergent, change for the machine etc...ugh.

The worst was when I was studying in france, I could figure nothing out. Very first load I did, there was a red sock I didn't see and I ruined all of my "whites".

my laundry solution now is very simple: this is my husband's job!

MessieJessie
04-02-10, 07:25 PM
There is lots of good advice above. If you can afford wash/dry/fold service I would highly recommend that.

But if not, the simpler and easier you can make the job the more likely you will be to execute it succesfully. I had to really work on my laundry issues and here are some things that helped.

Consider washing smaller loads more frequently. If you look at a big pile of clothes, you really just don't wanna do it. I found that I was much less reluctant to do the job when I was looking at a small basket of clothes. Get a small bag or basket and take it in whenever it's full, rather than waiting until everything you own is dirty.

Quit sorting whites and colors. It really increases the work. Stop buying clothes that are white and wear all colors. If you still wear whites and they're clothes you can take a little risk with, try throwing them in with the colors using cold water and see what happens. Most colored clothes don't bleed at all. I stopped sorting about a year ago and haven't had a single problem with any of my whites being discolored.

Try to wash your clothes less often. Most of us wash more often than is really needed. Buy a bottle of Febreeze. Look at your clothes and smell them when you're taking them off. If they're not stinky or stained, give them a little spray and hang or fold them back up. Try not to toss them aside somewhere, because then you'll end up having to wash them anyway because they're wrinkled and stepped on. This will save wear and tear on your clothes too.

Try to make laundromat visits pleasant. I usually bribe myself with a movie or tv show as an incentive to fold the laundry. If you have a laptop maybe you can do the same kind of thing at the laundromat.

Hope some of this helps!

Babyanne
08-29-10, 03:14 PM
I mentioned one day to our sitter that I LOATH laundry and she said "really I don't mind doing laundry at all" a new level of our friendship emerged. I pay her 250 a month for all of our laundry to be done. It is the best money spent IMO!!

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-29-10, 04:39 PM
I've been assured by many people that laundry mats with bars attached exist... I've heard a place like that in SF not only serves alcohol but also great burgers. No way in hell I'm packin my laundry all the way over there though...

My boss always lectures on thinking stupid simple -- "What did they use to measure Heterotermes (a type of termite) consumption in Arizona??? Toilet paper! That's right Toilet paper!"

My way of doing laundry: 2 piles.

1) Really dirty gross things, or durable items.
2) Everything else. (and, if I remember, put dedicates in a small laundry bag).

I use two kidney shaped laundry baskets. I will put my Everything Else items in this, and toss the Durable Items to the side of the basket or if there's a really gross item I lift up the top basket and put the durable & gross in the bottom basket.

I always, always, always empty my pockets before pants/jackets end up in the piles and I make sure that my socks are straight and not in a bundle.

Not the most pretty system, but when it was time to do laundry, essentially all the laundry was in the same area (except for socks cuz I am so absent minded that I end up taking them off anywhere in mid-step) and I knew I didn't need to go through the pockets, etc. I kept my laundry detergent next to my laundry bin, so a total no brainer to remember (although I still forgot sometimes :eek:).

Then... to the laundry mat to use... maximum 2 washers, 2 dryers. Bada bing! bada boom!

I would get coffee, do puzzles, read a book... but my favorite was getting breakfast while timing my loads... It took me awhile to get it down but very worth it...

B-fast laundry bonanza started when I found a restaurant I liked that was a short walk to a laundry mat that I liked -- I liked doing laundry alone, because I could sit at the bar and didnt have to worry about anyone else messing up the timing... --

Put in the wash, get it started, book it over to the restaurant... Start people watching, observe how many orders are out in comparison to how many tables... suss out the waitresses serving style... Gauge how long it will take for my meal to get done, and compare to how much longer my clothes will wash for.

Put in my order when I thought I could switch the wash to the dryer and be back just as the food was out. I let my waitress know what was up, and believe it or not, they all seemed very supportive of my goal. I am certain they enjoyed the game too, I had way too many perfectly timed b-fast laundry day bonanzas for the waitress to not be actively participating...

All the parts work together in concert, oh yes... it was fun.

Either or, I think I am saying...

The laundry will take care of itself if it is a part of a routine that you enjoy doing. Laundry was integral to my saturday/sunday breakfast experience.

Marspider
08-29-10, 07:40 PM
I love doing my laundry, measuring out the powder, deciding whether to use the colour detergent or the lavender one, setting the wash cycle (there's no way in heck I'm ruining my lovely clothes), hanging it out (don't have a dryer). I sometimes watch the clothes go round and round and round.. it's hypnotic. I'm good at this bit.

The difficult part is the folding and putting away. As the clothes dry, I remove them, generally when my housemates need the airer to dry their clothes and chuck it in my clean laundry basket. And the pile is getting bigger and bigger. Sigh, at least it's clean. I very rarely iron my clothes, I walk the creases out.

ADXP
09-11-10, 10:31 AM
There is lots of good advice above. If you can afford wash/dry/fold service I would highly recommend that.

But if not, the simpler and easier you can make the job the more likely you will be to execute it succesfully. I had to really work on my laundry issues and here are some things that helped.

Consider washing smaller loads more frequently. If you look at a big pile of clothes, you really just don't wanna do it. I found that I was much less reluctant to do the job when I was looking at a small basket of clothes. Get a small bag or basket and take it in whenever it's full, rather than waiting until everything you own is dirty.

Quit sorting whites and colors. It really increases the work. Stop buying clothes that are white and wear all colors. If you still wear whites and they're clothes you can take a little risk with, try throwing them in with the colors using cold water and see what happens. Most colored clothes don't bleed at all. I stopped sorting about a year ago and haven't had a single problem with any of my whites being discolored.

Try to wash your clothes less often. Most of us wash more often than is really needed. Buy a bottle of Febreeze. Look at your clothes and smell them when you're taking them off. If they're not stinky or stained, give them a little spray and hang or fold them back up. Try not to toss them aside somewhere, because then you'll end up having to wash them anyway because they're wrinkled and stepped on. This will save wear and tear on your clothes too.

Try to make laundromat visits pleasant. I usually bribe myself with a movie or tv show as an incentive to fold the laundry. If you have a laptop maybe you can do the same kind of thing at the laundromat.

Hope some of this helps!

I love the Febreze part the most. Hahahahahahaha.

Rampage
05-11-11, 12:53 PM
It's like you guys are from my family! LAUNDRY.....GAHHHHH!

Ok. After almost twenty years of marriage, I think I might have the laundry stress minimized. I didn't say, "GONE." Just minimized. Where I don't break into a cold sweat or have an anxiety attack of mounds of clothing thrown onto my couch.

We are a family of five. Two parents, three kids.

I now do all of our laundry separately. Everyone has their own laundry
basket. (I only do all laundry together if I'm desperate.) But I still try to wash the laundry - presorted. That's why everyone has their own basket. That way I don't have to sort as much. If I were more organized, everyone would get their own Laundry Day of the week, but I haven't gotten there yet.

So, I take my laundry basket down. I wash my darks together. Dry them. Throw them in basket. Same with whites.

I have two small laundry netted laundry bags (actually lingerie bags). I have one bag labeled "clean." One bag is labeled "dirty." Those two bags are hung on the back of my bathroom door. When my laundry is done, my clean underwear and socks are put in the lingerie bag and then placed on the over-the-door hanger/sorter (with several hooks). Whenever I shower and change, I put my old stuff in the "dirty" lingerie bag.

So, I always know when I'm running out of clean undergarments/socks. And, once I've washed and dry, I have MATCHING socks. IT'S A MIRACLE...!

Let's be honest, isn't it so stressing trying to keep your clean underwear and socks in the correct dresser drawer? This keeps underwear and socks from having to be FOUND in the dresser drawer. Cuz, if you're like me, your underwear and socks are NOT in the designated drawer. They are all over the place, as in all over the ROOM!

I tried doing the lingerie bag for clean/dirty underwear and socks for my three sons, but that was a disaster. Boys take their socks off in ANY room of the house.

I do have my oldest teenager, who actually cares if he has clean underwear and socks, also use two lingerie bags on the back of his bathroom door.

Trust me, it simplifies doing the laundry!

islandgrrl
05-22-11, 03:36 AM
Ahhh yes, the dreaded laundry monster. I feel for those of you who don't have machines at home. Years ago I used to lug garbage bags of laundry in a taxi to get them done.

I strongly believe that all family members over 12 should bear some laundry responsibility. My husband has been washing his own clothes for years. I don't get him to wash mine, as he throws things in the dryer that he shouldn't and does a "fisherman's load" of lights and darks together.

Clean clothes often spend time inside or on top of the dryer. If they are clean, they can be worn, and laundry has technically been done. If they are wrinkled, they can be fluffed in the dryer.

I also try to buy multiples of the same socks to make pairing easier. All family members are responsible for how they choose to organize their socks. I sometimes pair my socks up while watching tv, otherwise I stuff them in the drawer loose. I tend to hand most of my tops on hangers, as it is easier and more visual than folding them and storing in drawers.

I put a seagrass basket in my linen closet to throw my clean facecloths in. It saves on the piddly folding, plus the piles of folded facecloths would often fall over or get messed up anyway. This is both easier AND more organized!

I don't buy anything that MUST be hand-washed or dry-cleaned. I even *gasp* machine wash bras. I try not to buy anything that needs ironing. All my dress pants for work are ones I can take straight out of the dryer. My workplace is business-casual, so in the winter I wear nice sweaters all the time. In dress shirts, a little lycra goes a long way to warding of wrinkles.

The next thing I need to work on is getting around to sewing buttons and fasteners back on several pairs of pants. Using a safety pin is getting a little old! lol

lacaminante
05-25-11, 10:37 AM
my laundry solution now is very simple: this is my husband's job!

Me too! :)

Although I do have to put my own clothes away... which I hate. I especially hate hanging things up. Me + hangers = frustration/anger. I'd rather just shove everything in drawers- out of sight, out of mind ;)

spaceytracy91
07-28-11, 10:35 AM
I love dropping off my laundry!! It comes back square and smelling good. And when I invariably don't put it away, I just live right out of those huge blue ikea bags of square clothes. It is worth all the money in the world to not have to do my own laundry. Now that I live in a house with a washer/dryer...OY! I simply can't excuse dropping it off at the laundromat anymore...and I'm a wrinkled, sometimes clean mess.

cherrycoke
02-23-12, 01:22 AM
*line your hampers with mesh bags from the $1 store. pull it up out, flip it inside out into the washer and toss the bag in too. when it's all dry, you can put it back into the bag to bring home/put away.
*when the clothes are dry, i quickly sort them into piles for who they belong to. then i can fold them without thinking b'c i'm not having to think "this is my son's, this is mine.." it all just gets folded and set down on the pile. goes SUPER FAST
*unless an item is brand spanking new i wash lights/darks/whites/towels all together all the time. i wash almost everything on cold and with homemade detergent (that is gentle on colors, tough on whites and gets ick out of anything). no more different detergents for different colors, waiting for a full load of whites, blah blah. i got stuff to do! if i'm worried about something bleeding, i toss in a shout color catcher sheet with the load. lifesaver it is.
*simplify. purge. get to the basics. good quality half a dozen of each thing (pants, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweaters/sweatshirts, etc) will more than suffice.
*if you get a magazine subscription, bring it with you to the laundromat, read it there while doing your laundry, then bless & release.. leave it for others to enjoy. one less thing cluttering your home and you have something to look forward to each time.
*got a friend that does the same thing? set a time to go together.
*bring a pillow, blanket and an alarm clock and take a nap at the laundromat. ;)

Pansie
02-23-12, 02:11 AM
I don't have a dryer, I hang it out in the sun to dry, and I sort the clothes as I'm hanging them on the line, then fold and sort them further getting them off the line, so when I get inside I just need to take the sorted piles and put them away.

Odd how this usually takes at least a week and is all messed up and rummaged through by the time i get to put them away...

mjoy79
03-19-12, 02:50 PM
I know this is an old thread. But I've always struggled with the laundry issue. I've always wondered - even though my mom taught me how to do my laundry when I was a kid, had me put it away, all of that - why do I still struggle with this as an adult? Of course i've eventually figured out that ADD has a lot to do with it.

I've had my own washer/dryer for the last couple of years which has made that department a lot easier for me. But of course there are still piles of clothes in my bedroom- mostly clean clothes that I put on my bed which eventually ends up on the floor.
I used to hate myself for this but now that I understand that its part of the disorganization, I don't beat myself up about it. I try to at least have the hangable clothes hung up but thats as far as i've gotten lately. sigh.