View Full Version : Switched from Vyvanse to Concerta-Mistake?

JenSMP
03-13-10, 12:26 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me. My 6 year old son started on Vyvanse about a month ago. We started at the lowest dose of 20 mg. He had side effects on that, so we went down to 15 mg, and he still had s/e. So, we went down to 10 mg and it worked perfectly for 2 weeks. Then, it stopped working all together. So, we increased to 15 mg...still not working. Increased to 20 mg for one day (yesterday), and it worked very well. But, the doctor suggested switching to Concerta when the 10 mg stopped working. I experimented on my own by giving him the 20 mg yesterday. This was his original dose, and we were supposed to work up to that amount, so I felt safe doing so.

Today is the first day on Concerta and my son is very HYPER, more so than is typical for him even when he's unmedicated. He's actually quite wild. It's like all of his ADHD behaviors are magnified.

Ok, so it's our first day on Concerta, and he's taking the lowest dose (18 mg). Should we just go back to the vyvanse, or will 36 mg Concerta work better? The doctor said to start with one 18 mg pill, and do that for 3-7 days. If it doesn't seem to be working, go up to 2 pills. I don't know if we can make it that long!

If you have any advice or experience to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm so ready for something to just work! Thank you.

JenSMP
03-14-10, 08:30 AM
Wanted to add a little info now that I've observed my son on Concerta for a full day.

Took it at 9:30. Around 10:30 he got really tired and calm for a very brief period. Then, by 11:00 he was super hyper. This lasted about 2 hours. Then he was energetic but focused (at least enough to play games and build sand castles on the beach). Throughout the day, he was so happy and polite. He was very conscientious of his manners and very sweet. He didn't have any meltdowns until late in the afternoon when he had trouble with a video game. For the first time in his life, he went into his room, shut the door, cried, and worked on getting himself calmed down. Usually it's a full out meltdown, and he always comes to us yelling and crying when he's frustrated. I gave him a hug, offered to go play another game, and he got over it quickly. He even told me I was the best mom in the world and thanked me for helping him calm down. He got a little hyper around 7:30 when the medicine was wearing off but not excessively so. He went to sleep with no problem and slept for 11 1/2 hours! So, we're definitely giving it another shot today.

Just curious about that 2 hour window in the morning where he gets crazy wild. Anyone else experience this? Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any response you might have.

MGDAD
03-15-10, 02:08 PM
They are both good forms of a long acting stimulant. Only way to tell which will work better is to try them. It does take time to figure ou the right dose.

JenSMP
03-15-10, 06:25 PM
Well, today was my son's first day at school on the Concerta, and the teacher said it's the best day he's had yet! She didn't observe any of the manic hyperactivity we saw over the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues to work Thanks for the response, MGDAD.