View Full Version : Experiences using melatonin?

Kiri
03-14-10, 09:52 AM
I have been having terrible insomnia for awhile now. I'm pretty sure it is not just my meds, (adderall) because for as long as I can remember, it has been normal for it to take me at least an hour, if not longer, to fall asleep. I never realized that it shouldn't be quite so hard to fall asleep until I started sleeping in the same bed with my husband. I'm always amazed by how quickly he falls asleep--he can seem wide awake, but once he lays down in bed he is snoring within 5 minutes. (The snoring is part of my problem, but I wear earplugs if I need to).

Lately I have taken to staying up really late playing video games or reading once my husband goes to bed. I know that seems counter-intuitive to getting more sleep, but it beats laying down and waiting for sleep that never seems to come. (Or sometimes when I do finally fall asleep it is such a light sleep that by morning I'm not sure if I really slept at all). Staying up late serves the purpose of pushing me to the point of exhaustion. Usually when I'm finally exhausted it doesn't seem to take me very long to fall asleep. Lately, though, even that has not been working very well.

I have an appointment with my primary care physician coming up next week, so I am going to talk to him about this, but in the meantime, I need SLEEEEEEEEEP. I had never heard of melatonin before joining these forums, but it seems that quite a few people on here use it to sleep. I bought some yesterday and tried it last night. It did help me with falling asleep, but unfortunately, not falling back asleep after my husband got up and left for work this morning. As an added bonus, his alarm was somehow accidentally set for 4:30 instead of 5:10 like it was supposed to be, so it woke me up and I couldn't fall back asleep. I've been up since then (it is 9:52 now).

I'm just so frustrated and TIRED right now. I intend to keep trying with the melatonin. What has been your experience with melatonin, if you've taken it? If you haven't used melatonin to sleep, but used something else that worked really well, what was it? Please respond... I really need to get some quality sleep!!!

Mikeh
03-14-10, 04:31 PM
I take one 5mg tablet about a half-hour before I go to sleep and with in about 15min. I start getting very drowsy. I donít use everyday, but only when I have had a day or two of trouble sleeping then I will use it. The only thing I donít like about it is that when I wake up my eyes are really dry and I am still drowsy, and takes me about a half-hour to really get going. Although when I am up I am up. Also do not consume alcohol with melatonin. Say a glass of wine or even one beer. I woke up once so dizzy I couldnít function for about two hours after I woke one day. I work thirds so I sleep during the day so it does work for me.

Mike

RogeregoR
03-26-10, 11:48 PM
Whoops. When melatonin was first made available without a prescription, there were a lot of formulations with high doses. Melatonin is not a drug, it's a hormone. It is very powerful, though its effect is more subtle than a sleeping pill or OTC antihistamines (which can knock you out quite quickly) like diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine, and the like. Most people get a desired drowsy reaction at taken 1/2 hour before desired bedtime of they take about 1/3 to 1/2 a milligram. If that doesn't work well, increase dosage by marginal amounts up to perhaps 1.5 mg.

Long-term use is ok, but don't increase the dose to more than 1.5 mg if you want to get it out of your system by morning.

_mml_
04-01-10, 04:47 PM
I have successfully used 3mg melatonin nightly for several months. I'm having a bout of trouble sleeping right now. I've always had my share of trouble, but my depression made it worse, and the Wellbutrin, which is helping the depression, is making it worse worse!

I'm going to try melatonin again this week and see what happens. I'll let you know.