View Full Version : Waking up too EARLY?

roseblood
03-15-10, 06:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone else does this, because it's the one sleeping complaint I never see from others here. I do also have the more common problem of taking over an hour to fall asleep, but as long as I go to bed early I can compensate for that. However I go through phases of waking up at between four and six every morning when I have no reason to, even if I'm going to bed late. I rarely fall back to sleep within a few hours, either it takes until 9 or 10 and then I sleep for three more hours if I have time, or I drift in and out of various states of half-sleep and dreaming for hours.

I know it's associated with depression but I'm not even close to depressed at the moment (touch wood!). I don't think there are noises waking me up either. I usually sleep even through thunder earlier in the night, and low level constant noise, whether white noise or things like muffled TV from another room, is actually extremely helpful for me in falling asleep, not because it drowns out other noises but because it lulls me into a relaxed, dreamy trance.

I know to keep the room as dark as possible but apart from that and going to bed even earlier I haven't thought of anything yet.

Henri J
03-20-10, 12:38 PM
I've had a terrible time with waking up too early. It usually happens when I am stressed or anxious about something. I have been told that I should get up and go do something until I feel tired sleepy again, but usually I just don't want to get out of bed. When I have done it, it is quite helpful. I have even been somewhat productive during those times.

I keep a head lamp (used for camping) and a book next to the bed so I can read without disturbing my partner by turning on the lamp.

H

fracturedstory
03-21-10, 02:33 AM
I always wake up too early. Though last night was the best sleep I ever had, except it took me hours to fall asleep.
I'm hardly depressed and have always had problems with waking up early. I used to always wake up at 4 am then find it hard to go back to sleep.
Reading before I go to bed helps me sleep and for some reason I sleep longer. OK, maybe two ciders, some crackers with cream cheese and 2 herbal sleeping pills were partly responsible.

roseblood
03-22-10, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, it was looking like I was the only one. This doesn't seem to be as common as most of the other sleep problems reported here. Problems falling asleep initially affect 80% of ADHD adults according to one study. I suspect my methylphenidate of making it a bit worse or triggering it when I'm not used to it, which makes sense as it apparently reduces the time you spend in REM sleep, which is the stage you're in before waking up in the morning. After a week of being on any particular dose quite consistently my pattern goes back to what it was before. Otherwise it could be coincidental. If anyone is aware of anything else that seems to trigger it for them, do tell. As I said, it seems to affect me for weeks at a time and then goes away again, unlike the initial insomnia which is highly consistent.

doozerpindan
03-22-10, 02:10 PM
I always wake up early, always have, but it resulted in me finding some amazing TV shows ("JAG" & "The Girl From Tomorrow" to name a couple) when I was a kid so I don't consider it a problem.