View Full Version : Anorexia / Eating Disorder

Princess Moon
03-17-10, 06:45 PM
I am skinny and have a type of anorexia / eating disorder. I don't eat at all during the day until dinner time. At dinner I only eat safe, healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables. I do more than an hour of treadmill first thing in the morning, 70 minutes of treadmill every morning and starve myself all day until late at night. I've been doing this for more than a year. I know I am skinny and thin, but still continue to starve myself all day to continue to stay as skinny as I am. Not eating all day makes me tired, too. I fall asleep and get tired and not eating makes my ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety much worse. I have some health problems like low estrogen and low progesterone and low blood sugar or hypoglycemia because I don't eat anything that contains the right kinds of things you need for your body. After I have starved myself all day I have a slow heart rate during the day but at night my heart starts beating rapidly after going all day without eating and I start sweating out of nowhere. I also have not really gotten my period in almost two years. Anyone else have ADD and related learning disabilities and mental health problems and have anorexia or eating disorder? Does anyone else feel that not eating at all affect how the stimulants work? A lot of doctors who know about my anorexia / eating disorder act like that's the main problem, but they won't really understand it without understanding the ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety and obsessive thinking that goes with it. Doctors tend to act like my entire problem is the anorexia / eating disorder and not realize that you can't fix that without concentrating on all the other stuff.

I also can go out to concerts and music venues and underground music clubs at night and have a lot of energy and feel amazing, but if I'm in a place where I have to sit down and concentrate I feel tired and sleepy. Doctors blame my anorexia / eating disorder and lack of food for my fatigue and lack of energy, but it seems more like that and ADD which make each other worse. I have inattentive ADD, and learning disabilities with defecits in visual-spatial skills and motor skills and visual processing and other anxiety disorders, I do not have hyperactivity, the doctors I see talk more about how I need help for the anorexia and eating disorder part, but it's really more about the other conditions. Anyone else have anorexia or eating disorders and inattentive ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety disorders? This condition doesn't really affect things that much, at night I can go out and nobody will guess that I only ate once a day, but I get really tired. Anyone else have ADD and eating disorder? Not eating all day makes ADD symptoms a lot worse. Doctors recommend counseling, but I don't know if most counselers would understand the parts that ADD and other conditions play into anorexia and eating disorders.

C-digs
03-18-10, 05:13 AM
I'm in recovery from anorexia and have ADD. Carolyn Dukarm (http://www.carolyndukarmmd.com/) has done research on link between ADD and eating disorders. For me, anorexia was a way to slow my thoughts down. Starving myself was like self medicating. Most doctors will want you to treat the eating disorder first since most medications won't work without nutrition. I wasn't put on stimulants until after I went IP and could hold a stable weight.

You've probably heard this all before, but I really encourage you to seek help. I had all the symptoms you described above and when I went IP they told me I was about a week out from having a stroke and having bradycardia puts you at risk for having an arrhythmia. If you want to talk PM me.

Princess Moon
08-13-10, 12:53 AM
I feel like a lot of the doctors and therapists don't understand me and the way my mind works and are treating me like a typical anorexic patient. It really upsets me that they think they can brainwash me into doing what they tell me to do, they don't really know how to work with my mind. Because of ADD and NLD I have a very hard time listening to therapists/doctors/teachers who disagree with me and the people who are trying to get me help for anorexia and stuff, they don't understand me and don't understand me and I feel like they are treating me like a typical anorexic person and aren't listening to me at all. It's so frustrating! ADD/NLD and other issues make me different.

ThinkingOutLoud
10-13-10, 01:48 AM
I have an ED too, anorexic tendancies being my BMI is in the normal range, as well as ADHD, bipolar and anxiety.

my old Dr used to ask me at every session if I was ready to deal with my ED and I would say no, Ive got a few more pounds to lose. keep in mind I saw him once a week, then we would talk about my ADHD.

I have come to the realization that I must eat to avoid going back into the hospital. last summer all my organs were shutting down because I was only eating once a day also, but mine was breakfast. I was in the hospital most of last summer and ended up losing my gal bladder in the end.

all my problems were worse from lack of food and the medications were not as effective.

if you want to talk PM me also.

Marspider
03-04-11, 06:34 PM
Very easy to say but find a counselor who understands ADHD. Yes, I know, many to most have difficulty understanding ADHD. I've been able to retrain a few counselors on ADHD :-). I told them right from the start, I realise I need counseling but I also have ADHD and it has an effect on me. Those who've argued or ignored me, I haven't stayed with them for very long.

There's research showing that there's a link between ADHD and eating disorders so hopefully the message should be seeping through.

I am skinny and have a type of anorexia / eating disorder. I don't eat at all during the day until dinner time. At dinner I only eat safe, healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables. I do more than an hour of treadmill first thing in the morning, 70 minutes of treadmill every morning and starve myself all day until late at night. I've been doing this for more than a year. I know I am skinny and thin, but still continue to starve myself all day to continue to stay as skinny as I am. Not eating all day makes me tired, too. I fall asleep and get tired and not eating makes my ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety much worse. I have some health problems like low estrogen and low progesterone and low blood sugar or hypoglycemia because I don't eat anything that contains the right kinds of things you need for your body. After I have starved myself all day I have a slow heart rate during the day but at night my heart starts beating rapidly after going all day without eating and I start sweating out of nowhere. I also have not really gotten my period in almost two years. Anyone else have ADD and related learning disabilities and mental health problems and have anorexia or eating disorder? Does anyone else feel that not eating at all affect how the stimulants work? A lot of doctors who know about my anorexia / eating disorder act like that's the main problem, but they won't really understand it without understanding the ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety and obsessive thinking that goes with it. Doctors tend to act like my entire problem is the anorexia / eating disorder and not realize that you can't fix that without concentrating on all the other stuff.

I also can go out to concerts and music venues and underground music clubs at night and have a lot of energy and feel amazing, but if I'm in a place where I have to sit down and concentrate I feel tired and sleepy. Doctors blame my anorexia / eating disorder and lack of food for my fatigue and lack of energy, but it seems more like that and ADD which make each other worse. I have inattentive ADD, and learning disabilities with defecits in visual-spatial skills and motor skills and visual processing and other anxiety disorders, I do not have hyperactivity, the doctors I see talk more about how I need help for the anorexia and eating disorder part, but it's really more about the other conditions. Anyone else have anorexia or eating disorders and inattentive ADD and learning disabilities and anxiety disorders? This condition doesn't really affect things that much, at night I can go out and nobody will guess that I only ate once a day, but I get really tired. Anyone else have ADD and eating disorder? Not eating all day makes ADD symptoms a lot worse. Doctors recommend counseling, but I don't know if most counselers would understand the parts that ADD and other conditions play into anorexia and eating disorders.

After50
03-05-11, 11:25 AM
Granted that what I know is very little, but what I do know is that one of the side effects of stimulant meds is nearly always appetite supression. If I were a Doc having pre-knowledge that you are anorexic, providing you with a script for a stimulant med woud violate part of my medical oath to , 'Do No Harm.' It is no wonder that they will not provide you with any type of medication that may even remotely be responsible for suppressing your appetite. They could be sued by your surviving next of kin for malpractice and probably negligent homicide.

I understand what you are saying and you are most probably right in that your problems must be treated with a whole patient philospohy but you are probably going too have to face reality and accept alternative non-medical or non-stimulant med managment of your ADD until you prove you have conquered the anorexia problem.

I am in a similiar but opposite type of problem in that I was and probably still am a compulsive eater. In June of '09 I weighed over 425lbs. I now weigh 261. Six weeks ago I went in for an eating disorder and came out with an ADD diagnosis and a script for Vyvanse. My Doc warned me upfront and in no uncertain terms that if I lost more than anything he would consider a reasonable amount of weight between visits, there would be no more scripts. He felt having untreated ADD was the lesser of 2 evils when compared to anorexia.

Roes ferry
06-03-11, 11:44 PM
Well it is a good discussion and i really like it.It is informative post and quite helpful for everyone.Eating disorder is not good for health so we should avoid it.

melvin44
07-26-11, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Melvin and I had an eating disorder...well, let's say I'm getting better! But now my skin looks so old and ill that I'm not in the mood of going out...does someone have a suggestion how this could be better? like a special beauty online shop where they have products that my skin needs...or is it more a vitamine problem or something? I'm really clueless! Thanks and a good day!

mapanoy
09-28-11, 12:20 AM
You should eat more. You know eating disorder can cause death. You'd better see doctor for the urgent treatment.