View Full Version : Running!

xenonscreams
03-17-10, 11:31 PM
Do any of you guys run, swim, bike, or otherwise participate in endurance racing sports?

I'm just wondering because I've found it's the best coping mechanism possible. When I'm out on a run, it's like I can actually understand what I am thinking, like I have a somewhat linear thought process. Absolute clarity of mind. I get to use my energy towards something physical and productive, and I can hyperfocus on racing sports like it's nothing which I think helps me become really successful in them. I'm running upwards of 50 miles per week now and I find that the more I do, the better I do in my classes, and the more I'm able to relax. It's amazing, really.

If you feel restless you should try going for a run, or a bike ride, or a swim... Seriously.

squeekybrain
03-17-10, 11:37 PM
Yes. I LOVE running. It was a great salvation to me through the years, and I still do it at my ripe old age. It makes me feel a lot better.

CR721
03-18-10, 12:32 AM
I used to be in track for 7 years, now I'm a boxer that has to run for condition and I hate running. I'm inattentive ADHD so it's like parting the seas to get me up and run. If I don't have headphones for music I just can't run, I think too much on how I'm getting tired when I don't have them and I get tired quicker and my attention is what if I get tired in the ring and such. It's a huge mind trick that I still haven't over come. If I could box with headphones on that would be amazing.Hahaha.

Also I need a certain music selection almost everytime I run so I can be more motivated to beat my time or continue. If my phone/MP3 player takes awhile to load the next song I slow down in hopes to try to fix it to keep that motivational high going.

It also doesn't help that I have small ear and I'm very picky on what type of headphones I need and such so they don't fall off my ears. I'm a Bluetooth fan.

wsmac
03-18-10, 01:04 AM
I've been an off-and-on runner for a long time.
I've run the Big Sur International Marathon 3 times...
1 - with shoes
2- in homemade deerskin moccasins
3- barefoot until I had to stop with spaghetti legs at mile 19

Avenue of the Giants half marathon

Other than that, I don't get out and run races much, although I do think of it when they come up.

I started running barefoot back when my daughter was in the 2nd grade... she's a Sophomore this year.
I actually started up running again today.
It did feel good to get out and run... sorta helped me get through the morning and not sit and mope about another disaster of a relationship.

Has anyone else tried the Vibram Five Finger shoes? I use them when I haven't run for a long time, until my legs get back in shape and when it's warmer so I can run barefoot again.

xenonscreams
03-18-10, 09:45 AM
I haven't run in those but I've run in Nike Frees. I like the way they work your lower legs, but I am very prone to stress fractures and when I was Free training a couple of times a week, I got one. So now I just walk around in them all the time, figuring they're strengthening my lower legs without the stress, and I run in a lightweight but cushioned shoe (Brooks Launch).

RedHairedWitch
03-18-10, 12:33 PM
Mountain biking. When if working my way down a steep slooe or rocky area (etc) I ahve to focous of whats going on right now or risk getting hurt. I also love it when I get on a nice, long, downhill trail where I can just let the bike "run" and whip along at break neck speed. I love it ... ah, clarity!

peripatetic
03-18-10, 07:50 PM
i run most days of the week. i do trails, though, and can't imagine running on a track or treadmill (mostly because my dog might not be welcome there:))

it's amazingly mind clearing while i'm doing it. rather than focusing on one thing, i usually think of nothing at all--pure bliss. i think that's part of why i run trails; keeping myself from tripping or falling downhill takes the bulk of my mental energy;)

wsmac
03-18-10, 09:15 PM
I haven't run in those but I've run in Nike Frees. I like the way they work your lower legs, but I am very prone to stress fractures and when I was Free training a couple of times a week, I got one. So now I just walk around in them all the time, figuring they're strengthening my lower legs without the stress, and I run in a lightweight but cushioned shoe (Brooks Launch).
I've only seen the Frees in ads, never in person. The first time I saw them I was already running barefoot and had to laugh at Nike... yeah, sure... barefoot-like running.

Before I went totally barefoot, I spent lots of time looking for the lightest weight shoe, basically flats. I had a pair so light I could stuff them in my red bag (sorta like your backpack but for wildland firefighting, and there is a weight limit due to travel by aircraft in Alaska), and take them with me on project work or fires.

Mountain biking. When if working my way down a steep slope or rocky area (etc) I have to focus of whats going on right now or risk getting hurt. I also love it when I get on a nice, long, downhill trail where I can just let the bike "run" and whip along at break neck speed. I love it ... ah, clarity!
I am currently searching for a 'real' mountain bike. Something I can get out on the local logging roads and trails with. Right now I have the old standard looking mountain bike with front suspension only.
We have a few docs, nurses and a pharmacist who get way out in the hills and ride like crazy maniacs, I hear.
I may never get to that point, but I do want to get off the paved and plain dirt roads.

i run most days of the week. i do trails, though, and can't imagine running on a track or treadmill (mostly because my dog might not be welcome there:))

it's amazingly mind clearing while i'm doing it. rather than focusing on one thing, i usually think of nothing at all--pure bliss. i think that's part of why i run trails; keeping myself from tripping or falling downhill takes the bulk of my mental energy;)
One of my problems here is that I haven't found any real nice trails to run that are close to town. When I lived up in Alaska, we had better places to run. Even in West Texas, I could just head out in the desert and run wherever I wanted... no trails, just wide open desert... it was great.

One of the good things about this area and the towns are the public parks.
Each of the three main towns close to me have large tracts of land (I can hear the King of Swamp Castle now...:p) that have been converted to public parks. The one in Arcata has some really awesome trails. They are mixed use, although there are some that are designated MB or Foot only.
The problem is that I have to plan a drive to them, and there are no flats to speak of... everything is up and down... VERY up and down in some cases.