View Full Version : Question about Focalin XR for 7 years old with ADHD

Mom2Bella
03-20-10, 12:15 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this board and happy to be here. My daughter is 7 years old, and was diagnosed with ADHD as if last year. She is in 2nd grade now, and struggling. After seeing a psychologist for the past two years and many meeting with her teacher we decided to give medication a try.

We started her on Focalin XR 5mg, we noticed right of way that she became very hyper, nervous, and started talking very loud. Basically this medication worked the exact apposite of what it was intented to do.
We only gave her the medication for two days, because what we saw frightened us.

When I called our Pediatrician the next day, she suggest that we see a psychiatrist, but I was a little uneasy with that since she didn't know our daughter they way she and our psychologist know her. She then said that she would call her in our behaf.

They have decided to give our daughter Focalin (short active) 2.5 mg.
Now, my husband and I are so afraid to give Focalin another try, or any other medication for that matter. BOth our doctor insist that once we find the right medication,our daughter will greatly benefit from the medication.

Has anyone in this board has had this experience before with Focalin?
Can any of you recommend that works best for children diagnosed with ADHD? I have read in the past that finding the right medication is tricky, but never have I read that the child becomes more hyper/unattentive while on medication.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

mcpforever
03-20-10, 10:54 PM
My son is nearly 8 and recently diagnosed as well. He is currently on Focalin XR 10mg and seems to have positive results from it. He is calmer and a good bit more focused. We also do the 2.5 mg after school for days that he has a lot of homework to get through.

I don't understand why they would want to stay with the same drug if it is hyping her up. :confused: Perhaps they are thinking the lower dosage will work for her? But! The way I understand it is that the XR just has 2 doses in one. Half of it gets processed immediately and the other half gets processed a bit later. So if she took 5mg of the XR, it's basically like taking 2.5 mg of the fast acting/regular-just at 2 different times!

My gut says to try a different medication at this point. We've had some success with it, but I know that just because it works for one person, doesn't mean that it will work as well-or at all-for another. I'm not a doctor or even consider myself well versed in stimulant meds for ADHD, but common sense says that this is just not right. If it caused those behaviors at the lowest dosage, then it doesn't work for your daughter and it's time to look into different medication.

Someone here has got to know more than little ol me, but I wanted to jump in and give you some support. You aren't alone in this.

Mom2Bella
03-21-10, 10:25 AM
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I was wondering the same thing...why were we still giving Focalin for a 2nd time?

If anyone else has a suggestion I would realy appreciated.

Thank you!

Lady Lark
03-21-10, 11:33 AM
Some medications just aren't a good fit. Some have temporary side effects that go away, while some don't. Finding the right medication and dosage unfortunately isn't a perfect science. Even if you decide that this one isn't right, I would strongly suggest you don't give up. It's frustrating to try and find the right one, but when you do it really is worth it.

MGDAD
03-22-10, 01:28 PM
I would seriously question the diagnosis with a reaction like that. That is the reaction a person would have if they dont have ADHD. Other issues can affect your focus. Sometime depression can affect your focus, or other mood dissorders.

A child psychiatrist would be a better option than the pediatrician, because they would be more able to consider other issues besides ADHD.

What are your childs symptoms anyway.