View Full Version : Anyone change their diet because of having ADD/ADHD?

PookDo
03-20-10, 08:43 PM
I'm in the process of eliminating grains,dairy,starches,and sugar from my diet because my doctor siad I should.

chamaleon
03-20-10, 08:44 PM
i take loads of fish oil supplements and eat about three bananas a day

fish oil is very important.

PookDo
03-20-10, 08:45 PM
Yeah I take fish oil every day with my meds.My diet is going towards a paleo or primal diet.oddly sometimes refered to as hunter-gatherer

livinginchaos
03-20-10, 08:48 PM
your doc told you to eliminate those foods because of ADHD? as a treatment?

If that's why, I'd really question that and ask for allergy testing.

PookDo
03-20-10, 08:49 PM
I get really tired and sick if I eat those types of foods

livinginchaos
03-20-10, 08:50 PM
so, it's not for ADHD, but for being tired and sick after eating foods with grains, dairy, starch and sugars?

have you had allergy testing done?

PookDo
03-20-10, 08:52 PM
no allergy testing done but the reason I said ADHD is because when I do it the way the dr advised me to my symptoms aren't as bad

tinywiney
03-20-10, 08:53 PM
I know I do a whole lot better on a high protein, low carb diet. I avoid refined carbs. I avoid most grains except brown rice, oatmeal and flaxseed, but not a lot of any of these.

It doesn't eliminate ADD but I know my ADD is worse if I don't eat this way. Food does affect mood in some people anyway. Also someone who doesn't eat good is more likely to have blood sugar fluctuations, which would make anybody feel bad.

PookDo
03-20-10, 08:55 PM
I know I do a whole lot better on a high protein, low carb diet. I avoid refined carbs. I avoid most grains except brown rice, oatmeal and flaxseed, but not a lot of any of these.

It doesn't eliminate ADD but I know my ADD is worse if I don't eat this way. Food does affect mood in some people anyway. Also someone who doesn't eat good is more likely to have blood sugar fluctuations, which would make anybody feel bad.

Yep.Has to do with insulin levels in the body