View Full Version : It has been a difficult few weeks..

MGDAD
03-22-10, 04:11 PM
As some of you know my daughter has been on a variety of meds. Finally was off everything for a few weeks to reestablish a baseline. She became very depressed. Just sad all day. Then going to school, once again, became horrible for her. She eventually began having a full on panic attack every morning. She was out of school for two weeks. It was awefull. Her therapist even gave her his cell phone number. She would call him, we were all unsure of what to do. She began taking Prozac. Doctor wanted to use that one, because it is the only antidepressant approved for children. It seems to be making her happier, but she still would not go to school. Finally, he prescribed a half a Xanax in the morning. That works well and now she is back in school.

Things seem to be better, but homework is still a chore. It is so hard to get her to make any effort.

Had a meeting with her teachers on Friday. The school agreed to do a full evaluation of her, including for learning dissabilities. That will be good. She was tested when she was six, but now at 12 it is time for another evaluation.

MuscleMama
03-22-10, 06:11 PM
That's really hard, I'm sorry. I hope you can eventually figure things out. Evaluations should be helpful, even if it just rules things out. Hang in there!

JenE
03-22-10, 09:55 PM
I'm so sorry she is going through this again. I hope the evaluations provide some insight. Does Prozac help with anxiety? My son is taking Lexapro for depression and anxiety and it has really helped. Took some time to build up to full effect but it has been a great help. Wish I could help more. We're here for you even if only to vent to.

MGDAD
03-23-10, 12:07 PM
The Prozac seems to be helping with her overall mood. She is definately sad less. Dont see much of an improvement in the anxiety though. The Xanax is huge help with the anxiety though. Although, it is only used on school mornings, and it only does anything for a couple hours. Hopefully we can get rid of the Xanax after while though. She is just building up her confidence with school again.

MuscleMama
05-20-10, 09:20 PM
Was just thinking about you today and wondering how your daughter is doing.

FrazzleDazzle
05-20-10, 10:11 PM
It's been a long road. She is lucky to have such a caring, involved dad. Nice to hear the positive update. The updated evaluation will probably give lots of new insights and ideas for moving forward now. Been thinking about you and your daughter.