View Full Version : windows 7

tash11
03-24-10, 01:40 AM
does anyone else find the sideways folders in win7 incredibly distracting? I really really hate them, to the point that I can't use that computer anymore.

I am not the only one right?

ADHDTigger
03-24-10, 01:52 AM
I kicked Windows to the curb when Vista was threatening.

OS X causes me no problems.

Ever.

eggyolkes
03-24-10, 01:55 AM
macs all the way! actually... I really don' t like them, i just have to deal with them because i had to buy one for my major... course this was a few months after i had bought a new laptop. do'oh.

tash11
03-24-10, 02:01 AM
yeah I skipped vista because I didn't like it. But then my computer crashed and my husband 'upgraded' it to win7. How is it that microsoft can just keep getting worse and worse?

Last time I touched a mac was collage. I didn't mind it at all. It actually crossed my mind but I don't think my husband (aka tech support) would like it much.....

but seriously... sideways folders? that is just wrong.

ADHDTigger
03-24-10, 02:02 AM
I have three Windows lappies. I love my XP netbook.

My base (home) machine is a Mac.

I run Windows in a quarantined virtual environment and can do anything I need to do.

I love my Mac.

tash11
03-24-10, 02:05 AM
I am typing on an xp laptop. I don't mind xp. but xp has folders that know how to be FOLDERS!!!!!

ADHDTigger
03-24-10, 02:09 AM
Tash, exactly. My whole family kicked MS as a thought leader to the curb and went essentially Mac. My stepson uses Mac professionally and I use it to write books and manage forums.

I think there may be a setting that will make your folders act like folders. Let me do some research.

tash11
03-24-10, 02:14 AM
I haven't found a setting that I like yet. It's not acting like folders it's looking like folders. Folders have an open part on the top and sides and a closed part at the bottom to hold everything in. The new "windows live" folders have the closed part at the side and all the stuff in them looks like it is trying to fall out. When I use that computer all I see is stuff falling everywhere and it drives me nuts. Highly distracting. I just can't handle it.

I also do not like the transparency of the new theams. But I did figure out how to turn that off. It looks cool, but is not conductive to actually getting things done.

Here (http://windows7icons.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/windows_live_folder_icons_pack_by_carlosjj.jpg)is an example of what I am talking about. Here (http://i.ehow.com/images/a05/6o/8q/install-live-sync-copy-folders-800X800.jpg)is another, but it's kinda small.

ah, here is a good example (https://ytquzg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1mRvrwMEUO8eJskLDL23e_0symkyVLcqaq9OFg6KfyBEoRWjG SmWtwXHMWsa2W4Tl1t5LU1uKXV2Yh85Z_MdoUwKydtuhzr1vjE ftLCRmPuTiJTRrgDJPM6oz0uagc9opq68jbre_WxEU/Your%20Picture%20Folders%5B5%5D.png).

You can't see what is in the folder like in XP, but everything isn't all neat and tidy like 98....

myvinyl333
03-24-10, 06:35 AM
does anyone else find the sideways folders in win7 incredibly distracting? I really really hate them, to the point that I can't use that computer anymore.

I use W7 on two machines and XP on the other. My desktop has XP on the left on W7 on the right, each with their dedicated monitor connected with Input Director (http://www.inputdirector.com/). I prefer W7 over XP. I find the lack of find features in the search program (ttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search) of W7 annoying in XP. I do not see your dislike of sideways folders, as I use both XP/W7 @ the same time.... shoot me a line anytime as I have figured out ways to use W7 that work for me:cool: POV: MACs confuse me:confused:

mike91163
03-24-10, 07:39 AM

Tash, exactly. My whole family kicked MS as a thought leader to the curb and went essentially Mac. My stepson uses Mac professionally and I use it to write books and manage forums.

I think there may be a setting that will make your folders act like folders. Let me do some research.

Here's how:

---Start Windows Explorer; you could double-click any folder, or Start-Documents, whatever;

---By default, Vista/Win7 hide the "menu" bar (File-Edit-View-Tools-Help), so simply press the ALT key once-it will appear. Click Tools-Folder Options; on the General tab, click the "Use Windows Classic Folders" button, then Apply.

---Click the View tab; then click the "Apply to Folders" button-answer OK to the popup, then Apply.

---Close the dialog window-done!

I have three Windows lappies. I love my XP netbook.

My base (home) machine is a Mac.

I run Windows in a quarantined virtual environment and can do anything I need to do.

I love my Mac.

Hey Tigger, not looking to hijack this thread, but, a couple of questions...

---What are you using for your VM host-Parallels?

---So, you're a member of the Steve Jobs' "cult of personality", huh? I'm not saying that Macs are "bad", but:

1--You're paying a substantial premium for a pretty case and the "cool" factor. Let's be honest-the guts (CPU, HD, RAM, video, etc.) are the same as in any Windows or Linux machine...why should I pay twice the price for my "meat and potatoes" just because it's served on a gold plate?

2--Contrary to popular opinion, Macs can and do "lock up"; I'm sure you've seen the "spinning pinwheel of death" and the "Force Quit" option. Yes, I agree that XP and Vista had their issues, but Win7 isolates problem apps very nicely, so a program fault/hang does not bring the OS down.

3--It's funny that, at a time when computing in general is moving towards a more "open" environment (Linux, free open-source), Apple forces you to lock into their hardware, period. Further, it's ironic that many people complain that Windows "steals" ideas from Mac OS and others-yet, huge chunks of Mac OS code were lifted right from BSD, a Unix derivative.

4--Mac OS9 ("classic") and OSX look vastly different; yet, we didn't hear the hue and cry that the masses showed when Vista/Win7 was rolled out-why?

5--OSX has "security through obscurity"...the simple reason Macs don't have malware is because their market share provides little opportunity for virus writers. To borrow from the line attributed to Willie Sutton- when asked why he robbed banks, he replied "Because that's where the money is." Yet, time after time, hackers at security conferences have consistently "broken into" OSX easier and faster than Windows.

6--If OSX was so perfect, as the rabid "fanbois" are fond of saying, then why does Apple consistently push huge (100-200MB) updates to OSX systems?

I've used Macs before, and I've had to support them at work. I do not dislike the Mac environment, per se; what I don't like is the atmosphere of the cult that blindly follows Apple and Steve Jobs.

mhyper790
03-24-10, 08:05 AM
USE LINUX MiNT!!! Its Free, Faster and very easy to use... YOu can customize very things about it all the way down to whether or not you want a start menu even! :) Windows I have not used that Junk in awhile. ;) To many viruses, updates and redo's of the OS. Dirves me nuts.. Plus when it fails there is no way to trouble shoot if the OS does not boot that I know of.. Linux Always a way to trouble shoot.

tash11
03-24-10, 09:48 AM
Here's how:

---Start Windows Explorer; you could double-click any folder, or Start-Documents, whatever;

---By default, Vista/Win7 hide the "menu" bar (File-Edit-View-Tools-Help), so simply press the ALT key once-it will appear. Click Tools-Folder Options; on the General tab, click the "Use Windows Classic Folders" button, then Apply.

---Click the View tab; then click the "Apply to Folders" button-answer OK to the popup, then Apply.

---Close the dialog window-done!....

Thanks. But it doesn't have a "Use Windows Classic Folders" button. Just Browse folders-open each folder in the same window, or open each folder in it's own window. and Click items as follows-single click or double click. and Navigation pane-show all folders, automatically expand to current folder. Thats it. :(

tash11
03-24-10, 09:49 AM
USE LINUX MiNT!!! Its Free, Faster and very easy to use... YOu can customize very things about it all the way down to whether or not you want a start menu even! :) Windows I have not used that Junk in awhile. ;) To many viruses, updates and redo's of the OS. Dirves me nuts.. Plus when it fails there is no way to trouble shoot if the OS does not boot that I know of.. Linux Always a way to trouble shoot.

I would. But my husband does my tech support so I have to go with whatever he is willing to support :( although he did say he was thinking of giveing our daughter linux......

can you do photoshop with linux? that is the main thing this computer does.

Imnapl
03-24-10, 09:53 AM
I've used Macs before, and I've had to support them at work. I do not dislike the Mac environment, per se; what I don't like is the atmosphere of the cult that blindly follows Apple and Steve Jobs.There's a Mac Cult? Nobody told me.

The new 27" iMac is almost decadent. I say almost because I ran from the store before I could pull my Visa from my wallet and purchase it. Can't stop thinking about it, though.

tash11
03-24-10, 09:57 AM
ok. I clicked on the 2nd tab and changed the thumbnail option there and then I had to change the live folder theam and now SOME of them are ok. But some of them (mostly the little tiny folders next to things) are still off :(

why does ms do stupid things like this? do they hate me?

ok... found a problem with that option... now all gifs and jpegs and stuff are not showing what they really are and are just showing the default image.....

tash11
03-24-10, 10:14 AM

ok... looking at linux....

can I run everything I need? games? iming? (I like trillian). what browser do you use? can I transfer my things over? (documents, photos, etc).

When ms decided IE needed to be changed and put the adress bar above the other stuff I dropped that and am now using ff. I personally don't have a problem dropping win7. Especilly since this computer is virtually unusable to me and just ****es me off to the point where I can't do anything (even non computer stuff, it upsets me that bad) I need to find something.

Yaaziel
03-24-10, 11:35 AM
Nope. I had XP for years, loved it, and avoided Vista because of the bugs.

I recently did a memory/hard drive upgrade of my laptop, and I'm loving Windows 7. I find it even easier to navigate around in, and it runs better and faster.

I considered switching to Mac, and I may again some day, when I have lots and lots of money to spend. Granted, you get a pretty machine that runs well (and apparently the right to be evangelistic and smug), but I needed an affordable machine.

As to the folders, perhaps there is a setting to change?

mhyper790
03-24-10, 12:32 PM
I would. But my husband does my tech support so I have to go with whatever he is willing to support :( although he did say he was thinking of giveing our daughter linux......

Yes You can do photoshop with Linux It would not be called Photoshop but it is called GMP (Linux's version)...Also comes with openoffice (Spread sheet, word, etc) Linux version of MS office. All programs that come with the OS are FREE thats the best part.

Is very easy to check out and install with your co-existing OS.

mhyper790
03-24-10, 12:34 PM

Yes you can do photoshop with linux It is called GMP (Linux's version of Photoshop).

Very easy to install along side with other OS's on your system.. You can make a system with two os's on it and choose which OS to boot from.

mhyper790
03-24-10, 01:58 PM
ok... looking at linux....

can I run everything I need? games? iming? (I like trillian). what browser do you use? can I transfer my things over? (documents, photos, etc).

When ms decided IE needed to be changed and put the adress bar above the other stuff I dropped that and am now using ff. I personally don't have a problem dropping win7. Especilly since this computer is virtually unusable to me and just ****es me off to the point where I can't do anything (even non computer stuff, it upsets me that bad) I need to find something.

Firefox Webrowser... I find it freezes less, and has less viruses that effect it.
Opera Web Borwser is great too..
Iming yes, you can run it through one program called pdgin..This program allows you to configure other IM programs with it (Google Talk, yahoo MS,etc)
OPenoffice.org (Free) It is linux equivalent to MS office with out the big price. This even runs on Windows LOL.
Yes You can transfer all documents and photo over as well as anything else needed.
Best of all there is no Dang Note Pad Garbage! Gosh I hate note pad!

Games--Are the only thing I see as being a problem but did not do much research in this department, however I heard programs Like WINE Allow you to run WINDOWS type APPS. Or you can setup a Virtual machine to run the actual Windows OS.. But you need a pretty decent machine for this.

Hope I am not sounding to Technical I tend to do that.

mhyper790
03-24-10, 01:59 PM
Yes you can do photoshop with linux It is called GMP (Linux's version of Photoshop).

Very easy to install along side with other OS's on your system.. You can make a system with two os's on it and choose which OS to boot from.

LOL A repeat Post How did this happen :O

tash11
03-24-10, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't say that gimp is photoshop. I haven't really used it but saying "its called gimp" is kinda odd....

Does gimp use the same file types for brushes, actions, and such? The reason I haven't really tried gimp is because I have photoshop and all my custom brushes and things that I like to use. Can I still use those?

I don't think I would want to partition them. I just don't see the point.

tash11
03-24-10, 03:39 PM
Firefox Webrowser... I find it freezes less, and has less viruses that effect it.
Opera Web Borwser is great too..
Iming yes, you can run it through one program called pdgin..This program allows you to configure other IM programs with it (Google Talk, yahoo MS,etc)
OPenoffice.org (Free) It is linux equivalent to MS office with out the big price. This even runs on Windows LOL.
Yes You can transfer all documents and photo over as well as anything else needed.
Best of all there is no Dang Note Pad Garbage! Gosh I hate note pad!

Games--Are the only thing I see as being a problem but did not do much research in this department, however I heard programs Like WINE Allow you to run WINDOWS type APPS. Or you can setup a Virtual machine to run the actual Windows OS.. But you need a pretty decent machine for this.

Hope I am not sounding to Technical I tend to do that.

I have been using firefox, that's what I meant by ff :) I didn't switch to it sooner because I am not fond of tabs, but now that ie is a copycat with that it doesn't matter. :)

is pdgn like trillian? I mostly do yahoo with it. Of course nowadays most people just seem to use facebook so I don't know if it really even matters...

does open office open .docx? my daughters teacher sent me something that is that and I can't open it. I don't think it is important though so I don't care enough to google it.

I don't mind notepad. But I do use word more. I write myself a lot of random, sometimes lengthy notes. (I actually have 3 wordpads open right now). :)

ok, maybe games would be a reason to partion. I don't play often. maybe a couple times a year I don't do anything else. :lol:

no, not too technical. I am used to hearing much more tech-speak then this :)

mhyper790
03-24-10, 05:48 PM
I have been using firefox, that's what I meant by ff :) I didn't switch to it sooner because I am not fond of tabs, but now that ie is a copycat with that it doesn't matter. :)

is pdgn like trillian? I mostly do yahoo with it. Of course nowadays most people just seem to use facebook so I don't know if it really even matters...

does open office open .docx? my daughters teacher sent me something that is that and I can't open it. I don't think it is important though so I don't care enough to google it.

I don't mind notepad. But I do use word more. I write myself a lot of random, sometimes lengthy notes. (I actually have 3 wordpads open right now). :)

ok, maybe games would be a reason to partion. I don't play often. maybe a couple times a year I don't do anything else. :lol:

no, not too technical. I am used to hearing much more tech-speak then this :)

Cool, I posted my response and then read you put ff and I was like Now I read it. :)..

There is a way to disable the tab browsing in Firefox and as well as with IE.
Sorry. I may have answered this prematurely, I must say that I am not to familiar with GIMP and Photoshop I just know they both open pictures. LOL.. Sorry if I misinformed in anyway. However do a little research I bet there is something out there that those people of the GPL (General Public Licensing) Have developed something that can take care of that for ya.

yes You can open docx extensions with Open Office. Anything you can open with MS office you can open with Open Office. However because Bill Gates loves Copy rights and patent the default format of word .odt (In Open Office) Will not open in MS office. When using WORD or Excel in Open Office always save as .doc and .xlsx (So it can open in MS Office 2007 and later)

With Note Pad it throws the formatting off Its not very intelligent.

Yes it is like Trillian, it is one program that can interface with other chat programs. Kpete is another which is also installable if you prefer.

One other benefit I find with MINT is that it also includes Repositories where you can download drivers that are supported, Other Programs, Some games and such.

tash11
03-24-10, 07:36 PM

yes You can open docx extensions with Open Office. Anything you can open with MS office you can open with Open Office. However because Bill Gates loves Copy rights and patent the default format of word .odt (In Open Office) Will not open in MS office. When using WORD or Excel in Open Office always save as .doc and .xlsx (So it can open in MS Office 2007 and later)....

I remember that back in collage. They would give us mac formatted zip disks (because the school only had macs). A mac formatted disk does not work on windows. So I got a zip drive and would format my disks to windows and then use them at home and school.

What if I needed to send a word type thing to someone. Would they be able to open it easily? like could I easily save it in a format that anyone would be able to open? or would it be difficult?

Addr68
03-24-10, 08:01 PM
I'm actually very happy with my win7 64 bit. Am I in the minority here :eek: ;)

For one:
I like that win7 knows the answer to my question before I even ask it.
win7 will find drivers for you. This I like.

I never experienced vista OS

I went from XP to win7, when I bought my new pc.

mhyper790
03-25-10, 07:54 AM
I'm actually very happy with my win7 64 bit. Am I in the minority here :eek: ;)

For one:
I like that win7 knows the answer to my question before I even ask it.
win7 will find drivers for you. This I like.

I never experienced vista OS

I went from XP to win7, when I bought my new pc.

I have yet to see Windows 7 myself, but am Afraid too due to my past bad expereince with xp, vista all the way back to like 3.1 Yuck!.

However I find that (and I may be jumping the gun here) But from what I see and hear a lot of the things that windows seems to come up with is copied Ideas modfied slightly to avoid being a 100% copy cat of Linux OS's such as SuSE , Mint and Ubuntu.

This is one thing I have always hated about Windows they can't really seem to come up with their own geniune Ideas, they seem to take the Ideas from others and manipulate them in (most of the time) a bad way.

Sorry I am so darn Opinionated. :)

mhyper790
03-25-10, 07:56 AM
I remember that back in collage. They would give us mac formatted zip disks (because the school only had macs). A mac formatted disk does not work on windows. So I got a zip drive and would format my disks to windows and then use them at home and school.

What if I needed to send a word type thing to someone. Would they be able to open it easily? like could I easily save it in a format that anyone would be able to open? or would it be difficult?

Yes You could very easily, when you save Docuemtns, in any OS (Not sure about MACS since they seem to be more Proprietary to "MACS") , you can select from the Drop down menue udner file types and it gives you a few options. Always save it as .doc it never hurts anything and it will open any where (Except MACS "I believe")

Imnapl
03-25-10, 08:58 AM
I remember that back in collage. They would give us mac formatted zip disks (because the school only had macs). A mac formatted disk does not work on windows. So I got a zip drive and would format my disks to windows and then use them at home and school.There is now a Windows version for Macs.

tash11
03-25-10, 11:22 AM
I have yet to see Windows 7 myself, but am Afraid too due to my past bad expereince with xp, vista all the way back to like 3.1 Yuck!.

yeah. I remember 3.1. I rarely used it. Basically only if I had to. Then we got 95. That was the first (and only) time I got in trouble for saying a bad word :lol:

I did kinda like 98se though. But I like the folders best in XP.

Yeah, it does seem like ms copies a lot of ideas.

There is now a Windows version for Macs.
why?

mhyper790
03-25-10, 02:20 PM
I like XP the best. After XP MS just went into an area that they did not do much research on which is why Vista was such a failure. That and the fact they copied Ideas they tried to manipulate.

Imnapl
03-26-10, 09:55 PM
why?Good question! :D Some people felt that Apple didn't have a word processing software program equal to Word?

Marspider
09-05-10, 11:43 AM
I did love my XP computers and was very reluctant to change to Windows 7. My laptop crashed, the motherboard died but the hard disk was fine, it still has XP installed on it, and I had to use my sister's Vista laptop for a few months. I despise, despise Vista.
My dad got me a Samsung netbook with XP which crashed because of a hard disk problem. So back to the Vista laptop. I think there was problem with the Samsung netbook hard disk that they are discreetly fixing because we handed in the netbook, they said nothing and changed the hard disk. In the meantime I got an ASUS netbook with Windows 7. I now love Windows 7.
It's fairly easy for me to navigate once I got used to where everything was. My only quibble is how sometimes if I knock the mouse it goes too easily to the desktop.
But I do like the hovering and being able to see the different programs at the bottom. It's quite helpful.

qinkin
09-08-10, 03:44 PM
I set up my lil' bro's new "going to college" laptop to make sure he never gets a virus, or pays money for anti-virus software.. It came w/Windows 7.

Awesome, compared to XP.. It's the coolest operating system I've used lately.. which is only really XP, nontheless! I got a little bit of virtual training w/Linux and older versions of Windows. . Linux wasn't too different, cool enough.

The whole transparent windows and better organization. . and it helps, when his laptop is more powerful than my home PC. . (wide screen, and 4GB of RAM compared to my 1Gb + energy star CRT behemoth monitor)

PedroDaGr8
01-22-11, 08:14 PM
I use both OSX and Win7 both at work and on my home PC (yep my home PC is a dual-boot hackintosh). Each has their benefits and problems. I find Win7 a bit more intuitive than OSX but that is likely because I grew up using Windows. OS X has a more consistant user-interface (MS is getting better at this but in a lot of places you still get the older more cluttered feel). Win7 is HANDS DOWN better for multitasking, atleast for me where I will have loads of documents and web pages open all at once.

tipoo
01-22-11, 11:00 PM
You know you can hide those with organize > layout and uncheck the options