View Full Version : Time Timer for Time Management - love this!

Sit-n-Spin
03-24-10, 02:37 PM
I saw another thread on alarm clocks so I thought some people might be interested in this different visual timer. It's called a Time Timer. (It has nothing to do with that little guy from the 70s public service announcements.) They have various versions of it. We have the little one that is like a travel alarm. They now have them for watches and for computer screens. It looks like a clock, but for the timer part you pull around a visual red "zone" that shows the quantity of time you are timing. As the time passes the red part decreases, but it's not like some others that just show a quantity of a color because it's actually on a clock. It's great for children, too. I have always had no sense of time. I'm usually just a little late, but sometimes if I have nothing to gauge time at all I'll show up really early because I'm worried too much time has passed. Just no sense of time at all, which I've now read can be a symptom of AD/HD.

http://www.timetimer.com/

Cedr
05-08-10, 11:31 AM
Interesting, I gotta look a bit deeper into this

Spence's Mom
05-08-10, 12:45 PM
we l o v e this!!!!

meridian
05-08-10, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info Sit-n-Spin. Looks like an interesting device.

There is also an iPhone app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time-timer/id332520417) version that I'm going to give a try.

In future, Forum guidelines ask that you use the "Insert Link" feature (that blue ball with a chain link at the bottom in the toolbar) to link to any commercial sites, the way I did with the iPhone App store link above.

*Signatures and websites linked in signatures and posts must be family friendly and must not be blatant attempts to sell products or services.

Here's a link to the Guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=75&a=91) for future reference. Thx

meridian
05-09-10, 05:30 PM
I thought some people might be interested in this different visual timer. It's called a Time Timer. (http://www.timetimer.com/)

BTW, I DID buy the TimeTimer App for iPhone and it's great! ($4.99 instead of $30++)

Thanks very much for the info! :)

weareacc
05-09-10, 06:10 PM
Isn't this a "great idea but I always forget to use it"?

meridian
05-09-10, 06:43 PM
Isn't this a "great idea but I always forget to use it"?

I use my timers all the time. It is how I convince myself to try to start something or to stop something (like being here too much).

This one is just better.

Does that always work, no, but it does keep reminding me of the time as it goes on by.

And since it is on my iPhone I won't misplace it (sits in the charging dock when not in my pocket) I like it!

wsmac
05-09-10, 11:40 PM
Way back when my daughter was in the 6th grade (she's in the 11th grade now), I purchased a large wall clock like this for her teacher.

I already had the small personal clock and it is a good unit.

For timing my lunch break here at work, I've been using another type of timer I discovered back around the same time as the TimeTimer...
The Invisible Clock... invisibleclock.com

I'm going to do like Meridian and purchase the App... I may like it more than my invisibleclock.

Thanks for the info!:D

weareacc
05-10-10, 05:17 AM
Good to know Meridian.

Im worried the novelty will wear off like everything else I've ever tried.

I suppose I could buy a couple of clocks and pu them in prominent places where I do most of my "productivity".

Sit-n-Spin
05-10-10, 09:08 AM
Good to know about the iPhone app. I don't have one of those, yet, but that would be SUPER helpful when timing out and about. That's why I bought the travel sized version, but I don't always take it with me. Now I can set the timer for, say, "15 more minutes to play then we have to go" for my son, telling him when it's almost time. It's great to have a timer or alarm be the "bad guy" instead of me!

weareacc, I don't think the novelty of this wears off. It's so perfect. There are some I think would, like the ones with lights that show you colors (almost like a stoplight) with amounts of time (e.g. green means 30 mins, yellow means 15) left. Those don't actually show you the quantity on a clock. That's what I really like about this is it's basically a clock with the time "filled in."

My husband says he wants one of these for meetings. The larger ones do have stickers you can put on them like for when to do certain things. Not sure how that works, though.

Spence's Mom
05-10-10, 09:19 AM
This is so used in my house and I have only had it about 2 weeks...it is perfect for my son who, lingers in the shower...he can 'see' the red from the shower and knows it is time to get moving...(he gets tokens for thing and this helps him be on time to get those tokens.)..I worry that I will loose interest in it and not use it but I am really self talking and making it a great thing for us.

meridian
05-10-10, 09:49 AM
Good to know about the iPhone app. I don't have one of those, yet, but that would be SUPER helpful when timing out and about.

My husband says he wants one of these for meetings.

I *believe* that the app will work on the more recent versions of the iPod Touch, too.

Maybe you can pick a used one up off eBay, plus they are fun for just iPod stuff too!

Sit-n-Spin
05-10-10, 09:55 AM
Cool! So, you mean pick up an iPod or the Time Timer from ebay? I have an iPod, which I'm finally learning to use after several years of it just sitting there. (Showing my age!)

Sit-n-Spin
05-10-10, 09:58 AM
"Elapsed time" is what it shows. Someone posted that in a review. That's what I've been trying to say. Better for those of us who have little sense of time than just an alarm.

meridian
05-10-10, 10:06 AM
Cool! So, you mean pick up an iPod or the Time Timer from ebay? I have an iPod, which I'm finally learning to use after several years of it just sitting there. (Showing my age!)

No, just the iPod TOUCH which is like the iPhone without the phone part.

It's actually easier to use than a regular iPod because it works like the iPhone and iPad.

If somebody is selling a used TimeTimer on eBay, then yeah you might be able to find one there.

Buying a new iPod Touch (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/) for $199-$399 JUST for the Time Timer app ($4.99) would be a little expensive!

Sit-n-Spin
05-10-10, 10:08 AM
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm excited. I just bought the one for my iPod (which also works on the iPhone)! It's only $4.99 on iTunes.

This is great! Thanks, meridian, for letting me know they offer this option!

Oops! I can't figure it out! Can you tell me how to get it on my computer and/or iPod? It won't let me click and drag.

Lunacie
05-10-10, 12:08 PM
The ticking of an ordinary kitchen timer drives me batty and this one is supposed to be silent - but this is waaaay more expensive.

... ponders the advantages vs the price....

meridian
05-10-10, 12:20 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm excited. I just bought the one for my iPod (which also works on the iPhone)! It's only $4.99 on iTunes.

This is great! Thanks, meridian, for letting me know they offer this option!

Oops! I can't figure it out! Can you tell me how to get it on my computer and/or iPod? It won't let me click and drag.

I think you might have missed an essential part of my other posts when you asked if you could use it on a regular iPod . . .

I *believe* that the app will work on the more recent versions of the iPod Touch, too.

No, just the iPod TOUCH which is like the iPhone without the phone part.

Buying a new iPod Touch (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/) for $199-$399 JUST for the Time Timer app ($4.99) would be a little expensive!

However, if you DO have an iPod TOUCH it will sync automatically through iTunes.

I hope you didn't just waste $5! :eek:

weareacc
05-10-10, 12:20 PM
Well, thanks guys...

Just bought the app.

Anyone noticed if it affects battery life? Don't expect it's too battery hungry really.

meridian
05-10-10, 12:24 PM
Well, thanks guys...

Just bought the app.

Anyone noticed if it affects battery life? Don't expect it's too battery hungry really.

It will because the display is ON of course depending on how much you use it.

I dug out my old iPhone dock, took the phone out of the case and now just sit it in the charging dock while I use it as a timer so the battery life is not impacted.

weareacc
05-10-10, 12:39 PM
Cheers, I was thinking of getting a proper dock anyway so it's a good excuse.

Might even get one of those speaker ones so I can combine 2 ADHD tools in one!

:-D

wsmac
05-11-10, 01:52 AM
This is so used in my house and I have only had it about 2 weeks...it is perfect for my son who, lingers in the shower...he can 'see' the red from the shower and knows it is time to get moving...

GREAT IDEA! I could use this in the shower also.
I usually leave the door cracked just enough to see the living room clock when I'm showering for work, but I still manage to cut it too close at times.
Plus, it's all too easy for me to count the minutes and think, "I have 15 minutes left, it'll only take me 3 more minutes to finish". But having a visual clue like the red face might make me think differently.
I never thought about using one at home, I pretty much just thought about them for my daughter's school and homework.

Sit-n-Spin
05-11-10, 07:57 AM
Crap. Well, I thought it said other iPods. I'll check to see if there is a way. I can also let other friends/family dedicate it to theirs. You can do up to five. So, I won't feel I wasted $5 if that's the case. At least it was only that much!

meridian
05-11-10, 09:17 PM
Crap. Well, I thought it said other iPods. I'll check to see if there is a way. I can also let other friends/family dedicate it to theirs. You can do up to five. So, I won't feel I wasted $5 if that's the case. At least it was only that much!

Sorry! But thanks for the tip!

I really love the timer and was really glad to be able to get it for $5 for my iPhone.

I've used it just about constantly since yesterday.

It is perfect for me, and I've been amazed at how much I can actually get done in a 10 minute burst with the visual feedback.

It simply gave me a better "feel" for how long ten minutes is! :) Brilliant!

gailzy
05-11-10, 09:33 PM
Time timers are great! The thing I want to caution is that they break really really easy so don't let them become toys when they're not being used. I've had to throw two away so far. There's another one, a visual timer that has different sounds (http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER6900-Time-Tracker/dp/B0007DHU0S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273627906&sr=8-8) (http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER6900-Time-Tracker/dp/B0007DHU0S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273627906&sr=8-8)that's really hard to set...unless I'm just to ADD to read the directions, which is entirely possible. Then there's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Traffic-Light-Kitchen-Timer/dp/B000KA4UYC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273627906&sr=8-16 which is great b/c it's a regular easy-to-set kitchen timer and the magnet is GREAT and it changes color the closer you get to the time expiring. That one is my favorite.

Sit-n-Spin
05-11-10, 09:44 PM
I guess I'll have to stick with my "old-fashioned" version for now.

I did not care for the Time Tracker with lights as much because it just gives an estimate of time, which is hard for very young children. I think it would work better for older children or for some situations, but not others.

Along the same lines, there is a traffic light looking thing (the Yacker Tracker) that shows a green light when children are speaking normally, yellow when getting a little too loud and red when definitely too loud. We really needed that tonight at dinner!

wsmac
05-11-10, 11:14 PM
Just an aside for those who might want to buy an iPod Touch...
I have purchased two so far from Apple as Refurbished units.

They have a warranty, work just as good as a new one, in my opinion, and cost less.

Of course, these are not the latest models, but the ones right before the latest... which for me is just fine.

I haven't used the app yet... dang!.. I should have used it today after being called in to work. I missed clocking back in from lunch (I was back, just forgot to clock in... a very common mistake I make here).

mystes
05-14-10, 04:45 AM
Good to know about the iPhone app. I don't have one of those, yet, but that would be SUPER helpful when timing out and about. That's why I bought the travel sized version, but I don't always take it with me. Now I can set the timer for, say, "15 more minutes to play then we have to go" for my son, telling him when it's almost time. It's great to have a timer or alarm be the "bad guy" instead of me!

weareacc, I don't think the novelty of this wears off. It's so perfect. There are some I think would, like the ones with lights that show you colors (almost like a stoplight) with amounts of time (e.g. green means 30 mins, yellow means 15) left. Those don't actually show you the quantity on a clock. That's what I really like about this is it's basically a clock with the time "filled in."

My husband says he wants one of these for meetings. The larger ones do have stickers you can put on them like for when to do certain things. Not sure how that works, though.

This is nice.. a programmed organizer for the time..

this is quiet something useful for me 'coz i am bet have a problems with my time and my work.. that some important things will just left behind..

aside from the thread starter, who still use this?

daylilly
09-14-10, 06:28 PM
I am home schooling my adhd son this year, and we use the time timer when he is working on written material. I love that when I say "check your clock" I know he is actually *taking in* how much time he has left thanks to the bright red color of that shrinking pie slice. I find that I myself am consistently surprised at how much and/or how little time has actually passed, but then he is a chip off the old block :)