View Full Version : End of day meltdowns....arrggg

JAC1968
03-24-10, 09:51 PM
My 7 year old averages one really bad meltdown every 7-10 days at bedtime. It's like it's not even him. He just needs to "get it out".

Most nights I can avoid it by finessing around the triggers that might set him off.

He is on Concerta 27 and it is working great. However, its the evenings, pre-bedtime that offer the greatest challenge.

Can anyone relate and offer solutions?

MGDAD
03-25-10, 03:36 PM
There are meds that can be given to take the edge off the rebound. Clonadine, Tenex, etc. My daughters doctor also sometimes recommends benedryl.

zerby1470
03-29-10, 01:51 AM
We wound up going to our doc and got a clonidine script. Benadryl was idiosyncratic in that it made her wired for about 6 hours (not what she or I needed) and 0.1 MG usually does it fro us. We have a sliding scale for dosing that registers the various things that stimulates DD and we can accomidate the rebound.

The Concerta works great, but the rebound is horrible.

tessmesser
03-30-10, 02:16 PM
Some physicians are finding that Vyvanse has a much smoother tapering and the melt downs are much less. The Vyvanse is not Methypenidate which is what Concerta is, it is in the amphetamine class but you may find that the melt downs go away... On the other hand, we all have those kind of days where no amount of medicine can contain our frustrations and he may be having those kind of days every 10 days or so.

My son is on Vyvanse and we are thankfully not seeing the melt downs that we used to see unless he is very hungry, very tired, or has had an exceedingly stressfull day.

Good Luck! Tess http://primarilyinattentiveadd.com

mcpforever
03-31-10, 08:26 AM
My 7 year old averages one really bad meltdown every 7-10 days at bedtime. It's like it's not even him. He just needs to "get it out".

Most nights I can avoid it by finessing around the triggers that might set him off.

He is on Concerta 27 and it is working great. However, its the evenings, pre-bedtime that offer the greatest challenge.

Can anyone relate and offer solutions?

I'm new at this, so I could be way off, but I thought I'd put forth the two thoughts that came to mind.

1) If he's taking the weekends off medication, and then returning for weekdays, it could be that his body just isn't handling being off of the medicine for a couple of days and then just put back on it. It might not just happen every Monday though. It could happen sometimes on Monday or Sometimes on Wednesday depending on how his body is metabolizing everything.

2) He could just be having an age appropriate meltdown even not on medication. Before meds, my DS (age 7 too) would have occasional evenings when the world was just too much for him and everything would set him off. Sometimes it came out in anger. Sometimes it came out in tears. (And a little OT, but I firmly believe that men/boys tend to get angry more often as a reaction to stress than they get weepy/teary/sad. It's taken me 30 years, but men/boys' anger is their way of "crying.")