View Full Version : generics for adhd meds.

kimberlee1972
03-25-10, 11:42 AM
:o:confused: I have looked and I am add, but I cant afford medication for myself yet.. and I have a sweet 11 yr. old son who has been taking concerta 20 mg once a day. That has helped him make friends , bring F's to B's be a joy to be around. But I don't have suport at all from my family (they are against adhd med.) I feel alone cause I have to hide this from them so my son don't feel like something is wrong with him.(don't want anyone telling him things) I am working on myself to make more money... We have just 9 more weeks of school and if he keeps his grades up he will pass to the 6th grade with all his friends and play football, which he wants to soo bad. I need anyone out there to please just to give me any information that :confused:I may get as a generic adhd med. that may work for my son:confused:, I understand every child is different in body, but what is a decent generic adhd med. If you could give me some names of generic adhd meds, that are you think have been helpful to you or your family, it would mean so much to me. (I have a hard time getting to the point) I am a add trying to help my son with adhd and no support financally or emotionally. I need friends on here ,but it took me 15 min. to figure out how to post this..little slow but sure. Thank you in advance..

CR721
03-25-10, 11:59 AM
In my opinion Adderall generics(depending on which ones that work for YOU) are one of the best out there. I've taken Ritalin, Vyvanse, Strattera and Adderall generic by far was more superior then the name brand meds I mentioned above.

O'Doyle
03-25-10, 12:19 PM
Barring some rare individuals (see what I did there?), the general consensus is that Sandoz/Eon Labs generic Adderall (IR) is the closest thing to the original.

Novartis makes generic MPH (Ritalin) that also worked great for me until I developed tolerance issues.

kimberlee1972
03-25-10, 12:34 PM
Can you tell me about how much Adderall (generic) is without ins. low dose ..small supply?? Thank you so much for posting this for me..

O'Doyle
03-25-10, 01:26 PM
Kimberlee, can you define low dose, small supply for me? I need to know dose & pill count per month before my insurance company's "price without coverage" web-report is going to work :)

***Also, individual pharmacy prices are going to vary--you're best off calling around once you have the prescription in hand. This goes double if you need to ask for a specific brand of generic. My advice in that case is to not even bother with chain stores and just find a local pharmacy that will work with you. 'Mom & Pop' pharmacies are also less likely to treat you like a junkie looking for a fix--which sadly, MANY pharmacists & techs do at the chain stores. The only thing I'm addicted to is my high GPA, loser--just count the pills and hand 'em over!
I've never had a local, privately-owned pharmacist treat me poorly...

Oh, and generic Adderall is pretty much cheaper than Tylenol. My 30-day supply of 30mg tid (90 pills total) costs Blue Cross $11.10. My co-pay is $10, so I'm saving a massive $1.10, hehe.

kimberlee1972
03-25-10, 01:42 PM
My son takes one 20 mg concerta, only on school days.. I knew I was running low(lost my ins.) and found out there is no generic concerta.... I agree with mom and pop pharmacies. Are you saying I can prob. get generic adderal for less than 20 dollars a month!!!??? I hope that is right... I have an appt. today with the doctor. Thank you so much for helping me..I will let you know what happens... I am feeling relief, just having hope...Thanks!!:)

Kimberlee, can you define low dose, small supply for me? I need to know dose & pill count per month before my insurance company's "price without coverage" web-report is going to work :)

***Also, individual pharmacy prices are going to vary--you're best off calling around once you have the prescription in hand. This goes double if you need to ask for a specific brand of generic. My advice in that case is to not even bother with chain stores and just find a local pharmacy that will work with you. 'Mom & Pop' pharmacies are also less likely to treat you like a junkie looking for a fix--which sadly, MANY pharmacists & techs do at the chain stores. The only thing I'm addicted to is my high GPA, loser--just count the pills and hand 'em over!
I've never had a local, privately-owned pharmacist treat me poorly...

Oh, and generic Adderall is pretty much cheaper than Tylenol. My 30-day supply of 30mg tid (90 pills total) costs Blue Cross $11.10. My co-pay is $10, so I'm saving a massive $1.10, hehe.

O'Doyle
03-25-10, 01:50 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying :)
A few people on here have actually had the pharmacist tell them not to bill their insurance for it at all, since their co-pay would be more than the cost of the pills w/o insurance.

The instant release stuff from Sandoz/Eon works very well, but you'll have to get in the habit of scheduling the 2nd/3rd/whatever dose. ADD people have a hard time remembering to take their meds, heh.

ADHDTigger
03-25-10, 01:53 PM
If you have Costco in your area, try their pharmacy. They are VERY customer service oriented and the best price for generic Adderall I have seen in my area (MN). I also agree on smaller, individually owned pharmacies. Chains- especially Walgreens- are a nightmare.

O'Doyle
03-25-10, 02:04 PM
Lol, Tigger--you should've seen the look I used to get when I handed over my Ritalin prescription: 30mg qid (1 & 1/2 pills at a time). Ohhhh man, even the Meijer pharmacist was like: "really?"

hehe.

ADHDTigger
03-25-10, 02:13 PM
Lol, Tigger--you should've seen the look I used to get when I handed over my Ritalin prescription: 30mg qid (1 & 1/2 pills at a time). Ohhhh man, even the Meijer pharmacist was like: "really?"

hehe.

OH BABY!!! Consider me a veteran of "Been There, Done That".

I lucked out at our local Wal Mart before I switched to Costco. The pharmacy tech at WalMart has an ADHD son and husband. She'd pick my brain when I went in for refills. Nice lady.

Kim- something that occurred to me to try is looking to see if your state participates in a prescription drug plan. These are not insurance and are generally provided by the state to defray out of pocket costs for situations exactly like yours. Also, check the prescription drug program offered by the drug manufacturer. That can cover up to 100% depending on how you qualify.

Some independent pharmacies have plans also. It NEVER hurts to ask and you could get lucky. Costco has a program to defray costs for folks without insurance. If you use Costco, you might want to try that as well.

MGDAD
03-25-10, 03:47 PM
There are plenty of generic forms of stimulants, the problem is most are not long acting. Concerta lasts 6-8 hours, the short acting meds only last 3 hrs. So, he would have to get another dose at school.

Here is a link to a site that lists what meds have generic versions availible.

http://adhd.emedtv.com/adhd-articles-a-to-z-page-6.html

Make sure that you pick a long acting one. Adderall XR would be good, but the active ingredient is amphetamine, while with Concerta it is Methylphenidate. Ritalin SR would be a better choice since the active ingredient is Methylphenidate.

Your doctor should be able to help you with this. They know which meds are availible as generic.

Good luck.

kalimba
03-28-10, 04:35 AM
Well, a few days late as to your doc appt, but...

I'm on generic adderall and I first found it was about 60% of the cost at Sam's Club than at the other local pharmacies. I've also heard (as Tigger mentioned) that Costco has good prices, but as the nearest Costco to where I live is 90 miles away, that kinda doesn't work for me.

Then, something else I learned on this website (from way too many people to even mention) is to have your doctor write the prescription for double the mg strength, and half the quantity of pills.

And to write the prescription to say take 1/2 tablet.

The pharmacies charge a lot more per pill than per mg of drug.

For instance my script was another $30 cheaper for my doc to write it as quantity 45 of 30 mg Adderall generic.... take 1/2 tablet 3 times a day.

Than to write it as quantity 90 of 15 mg Adderall generic... take 1 tablet 3 times a day.

And my pharmacist even cuts the pills in half for me.

But as others mentioned, it only lasts me for about 3.5 hours. So I have to remember to take it 3 times a day, which I don't always remember.