View Full Version : Sweet & Sour Brisket

concerned mom
06-17-04, 11:14 AM
6lb single beef brisket 2 onions sliced
1 clove garlic minced 3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar 1 cup each of catsup and water
1 tbl salt 1/2 tsp.pepper

Place brisket in heavy skillet,brown all sides. Add brown sugar ,onions,garlic and stur alittle then add remaining ingrediants. Simmer covered till meat is tender, about 3 hours, Serves 10 people

( mother in-laws recipe)

Mary
06-28-04, 07:49 PM
Ya know... a person can fat just reading all these .... :P j/k I love the recipe section!

Penultimate
06-28-04, 08:32 PM
What exactly is brisket? My brother says "brisket" is the Yiddish word for corned beef. Is that true?

Andrew
06-28-04, 08:49 PM
Brisket is not corned beef. The chest portion of the beef, usually extending some distance back of the forelegs; flavorful but rather tough, thus best used for pot roasts and for braising.

From about.com: The difference between a good brisket and a great brisket is in the cut, the grade and the preparation. If you really want to get a great brisket, one you could take to the competition cook-offs, then start with a prime grade untrimmed brisket. However, you can still make great barbecue with a good brisket without spending a fortune on a free range, prime grade brisket. Just remember that it needs to be untrimmed, meaning it has all its fat still on.

Penultimate
06-28-04, 09:30 PM
Okay so I thought I had an idea of what it was. Now I have no clue…well technically I never had a clue but I used to think I did…

I just reread that and it sounds like corned beef to me. Ya boil it because it’s flavorful but tough.

Penultimate
06-28-04, 10:00 PM
Looks like I was right, Andrew.

Corned beef is beef brisket that has been salt-cured to give it a special, tangy taste. It’s called corned beef because the Irish practice was to cure it with corn-sized grains of salt.
Link (http://www.mycustompack.com/healthnotes/Food_Guide/Beef_Brisket.htm)

It seems that corned beef is a subset of brisket so I wasn’t that far off. I guess rather than saying that “brisket” is Yiddish for corned beef I should have said “corned beef” is Irish (or New England?) for brisket.