View Full Version : Windows 7 - a rant

novagal
03-29-10, 11:16 AM
Okay so I've only been messing around with it for a few hours, but I've got some issues with it. I'm wondering if there's a way to change things in my preferences or something?

1. When I'm using my mousewheel to scroll down pages and that thumbnail window pops up or changes the pages I'm looking at - arrggghh! Stop that!

2. The snap feature. I don't want this! I move my windows all over the place on my desktop and I put them where I want them just as I want them - I don't want them maximizing when I've not told them to do so. I mean how much more work was/is it to just click the maximize icon - now I have this huge border along the top of my screen that I dare not get too close to when I'm moving my windows around or they maximize. If I move them up to the top I want them to stay sized just as they are. Now it feels like I can't use that part of my desktop.

3. I hate hate hate having to go down to the taskbar and hover over the IE icon to see thumbnail previews and switch between windows. At least in Vista they were all laid out in my taskbar by name and I could just click between them - this hovering thing feels like it takes forever. I'd have thought I'd like this because I'm such a visual person, but if I've got several documents open that look similar I've got to really study them to see which is which. arrrggghh! (oops, I'll give this one a half way "nevermind", I just realized it does give the document names as well)

Am I the only one that's frustrated with this? Or am I just experiencing hysterical blindness?

C.C.
03-29-10, 11:51 AM
Okay so I've only been messing around with it for a few hours, but I've got some issues with it. I'm wondering if there's a way to change things in my preferences or something?

1. When I'm using my mousewheel to scroll down pages and that thumbnail window pops up or changes the pages I'm looking at - arrggghh! Stop that!

2. The snap feature. I don't want this! I move my windows all over the place on my desktop and I put them where I want them just as I want them - I don't want them maximizing when I've not told them to do so. I mean how much more work was/is it to just click the maximize icon - now I have this huge border along the top of my screen that I dare not get too close to when I'm moving my windows around or they maximize. If I move them up to the top I want them to stay sized just as they are. Now it feels like I can't use that part of my desktop.

3. I hate hate hate having to go down to the taskbar and hover over the IE icon to see thumbnail previews and switch between windows. At least in Vista they were all laid out in my taskbar by name and I could just click between them - this hovering thing feels like it takes forever. I'd have thought I'd like this because I'm such a visual person, but if I've got several documents open that look similar I've got to really study them to see which is which. arrrggghh! (oops, I'll give this one a half way "nevermind", I just realized it does give the document names as well)

Am I the only one that's frustrated with this? Or am I just experiencing hysterical blindness?

If you right click on the task bar and open properties you can choose if you want to view the icons as combined or not combined. I am thinking you prolly dont want them combined so you can see everything without having to hover? You can also choose it to only combine with the the task bar is full....

To turn off the snap feature...go to control panel, ease of use and then change how mouse works. Check the box that says prevent windows from being automatically moved...

not sure if I understand your first problem?

Hope this helped! I love Windows 7...it is very different though

novagal
03-29-10, 12:03 PM
YES!! I knew there had to be options! thank you!!!!!

That fixed two of my frustrations. The first thing I mentioned is when I'm scrolling vertically using my mouse wheel, the thumbnail preview thingy pops up and if I don't stop scrolling immediately it starts scrolling through the different pages/docs I have open (or something like that) What I'd like is for the thumbnail previews to not come up at all.

You were most helpful!!

C.C.
03-29-10, 06:38 PM
Im not 100% sure...but in the ease of access place go to Make it easier to focus on tasks....then try to check the box to turn off unnecessary animations....that make help the thumbnail issue. If not I am stumped :)

FinallyAnswered
03-29-10, 07:16 PM

NG.....I only have this to add.....wahhhh wahhhh wahhhhh!! :p

(Long time no see.....hope you're doing well!! :))

vssjayden
03-29-10, 08:11 PM
Sometimes I want to snap at that woman who comes on the TV and says I created Windows 7. Or something to that effect. So your the wench behind the madness. *lol*

Addr68
03-29-10, 08:14 PM
Mod note:
Lets stay on topic :)
Thank you

novagal
03-29-10, 08:38 PM
C.C. - thank you again! Yes, that fixed it right up.

Okay now I find this hliarious - "Make it easier to focus on tasks". That's just funny, like "we know we created all these distractons...."

NG.....I only have this to add.....wahhhh wahhhh wahhhhh!! :p

(Long time no see.....hope you're doing well!! :))

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=652&pictureid=5644

lol!!! You have no idea! (that's why I've provided the visual)

Thanks FA, good to see you! :)