View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Meal?

Mary
04-14-03, 03:01 AM
Just thought I would add a thread to this if it's ok. I would like to know what you're all time favorite meal is.

Mine is a roast done in the pressure cooker, salt and peppered on both sides (while browning), with onions sliced up on top for extra flavor. With about a cup and a half of water added to the pan to keep from burning.

Sides, homemade mashed potatoes w/ or w/o garlic. Or home made macaroni and cheese with white sauce made out of cornstarch .... (depending on size of family to decide how many cups of cooked macaroni) with chunks of cheese stirred in and slices placed along the top..... baked to a crispy golden top.

With gravy made from the drippings from the roast... also using cornstarch for a creamier gravy...... biscuits, warm from the oven.

Veggie, whatever you desire... but I like corn or peas.

Thought this would be fun! :cool:

mark
04-17-03, 12:46 AM
My Mom's creamed eggs on toast is my all-time favorite. She just came to visit last month and made it for all of us. But I hadnt had it for about 5 years before that. Something about that comfort food only a mom can make. And the memories......

Spirit
04-19-03, 02:52 PM
Yummy Mark..

You outta get the recipe and share it with us..Plz :D

joanrdtobe
04-19-03, 04:54 PM
Saturday or Sunday morning brunch with a special someone and the newspaper....such as the Boston Sunday Globe....um...an omelet...no eggbeaters please...the real thing...with 2 eggs...made w/ with sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomato and melted muenster cheese....yum....then on the side a FRESH hot onion bagel with lox and chive cream cheese. A tall glass of orange juice. A hot cup of tea....and for dessert... a piece of my mom's noodle pudding......YUM......:)

healthwiz
04-23-03, 12:40 AM
Can't argue with Joans!

But corned beef and cabbage beats all!

Other favorites: Falafel!
Ny Strip!
Hummus and pita
Pastels with spinach, potatoe, or cheese
Matza Ball Soup!!!!
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Any salad that has feta cheese and greek black olives in it!

Jon

Jon

spasepeepole
12-24-03, 12:28 AM
Well, I love brunch in las vegas. Decadant in the word for it. But as far as what I make, I love the most unhealthy thing I do. It's a chicken breasted stuffed with grueyere cheese, in a white wine and butter sauce with fresh dill and diced tomatoes. Usually brown rice and steamed carrots and snow peas on the side. YUM. It will make men propose. ;) Not that I needed that...

Ace
12-24-03, 12:33 AM
Fresh boiled Maine lobster, corn on the cob, a salad, and a cold beer.

Or maybe just the essentials: lobster and a small tub of butter.

joanrdtobe
12-24-03, 12:06 PM
In the mood for some nice hot barbecured baby back ribs -- with a samll salad and a roll and a baked potato....

Later apple-pie-a-la-mode....:)

SubtleMuttle
12-27-03, 11:28 PM
I'm hungry!!!!! My two favorite meals (currently):

Portabello mushroom stroganouf (w/out meat, heavy on the sherry, over egg noodles) with pinot grigio- no sides neccasary! Never room for desert either!!! I think this is so good that it's almost like eating dessert for dinner.

Chato brion (spelling?) with bernaise sauce. Served with baked red potatoes (cooked with the meat but kept free of the sauce so they are not soggy), and green bean cassorole (the only cassorole I like: the beans baked with cream of mushroom condensed soup and topped with those crunchy onion thingys, sounds disgusting but it's amazingly good!!), fresh baked french bread and a cabernet savingion. Homemade family recipe apple pie for dessert with crappacino.

and on a day when I'm exhauted or stressed; nothing can revive the dead quite like the black bean soup that this cafe by my school campus serves a few times a week. It's my favorite lunch! With a cold soda (why they cannot serve beer at that cafe is beyond me!)

My dad's in incredible self-taught chef... so I've been a little spoiled (my understatement of the day) :D

amyschue
02-26-04, 02:13 PM
My favorite two meals are.. Pot roast with seasonings.. sides are tators and carrots.. with a salad with light dressing.. for desert.. peach cobbler.. The second fav meal is Ramen noodles with a fried egg.. (commonly known as poor mans supper) :)

Ian
02-27-04, 12:31 AM
Small portions.
Parmesan-rice crust mushroom and bacon quiche,
Greek salad,
roasted garlic basted with spiced olive oil,
fresh warm focaccia,
mixed spice marinated olives,
marinated mushrooms,
chocolate cheese cake,
latte - Kenyan AA.

Cheers! Ian.

Mary
04-02-04, 12:03 AM
They all sound good to me!

FlakeyGirl
04-02-04, 07:06 PM
I can't decide between two: filet mignon, rare, served with any kind of potato and a moosehead OR traditional mexican carne asada with rice and beans and a corona.

Onwari
05-12-04, 04:17 PM
All sound good! Mine is shrimp pad-thai. When we have it, I tend to overeat *burrrrp".

Ian
05-12-04, 06:18 PM
pad-thai was new to me recently but it's become a fave... yummer.. What else do you make with the meal?
Cheers! Ian.

paulbf
05-12-04, 07:11 PM
Sushi is what we always used to eat for a pick-me-up. I swear that stuff is the best antidepressant around.

Ian
05-12-04, 07:31 PM
Sushi in mid continent is a tough one.. heh Although I have to agree that my body loves the stuff.
Cheers! Ian.

Wheezie
05-12-04, 10:54 PM
hey ian! :)

at our house, pad thai is a meal in and of itself.

my hubbie makes it once every few months and he makes a huge batch to bring as a potluck dish with extra for us to munch on at home (it disappears quickly now that this group of friends knows how good it is.)

come to think of it, we usually serve mac and cheese with this meal. the kiddos aren't quite as enthusiastic about eating it as hubbie and i are, although they well pick out the shrimp!:rolleyes:

paulbf
05-13-04, 03:27 AM
Oooh!

My favorite Vietnamese recipe is barbequed fatty pork sliced thin with fish sauce and lettuce:

Prepare in separate dishes:

barbequed fatty pork sliced thin

FISH SAUCE
1/4c fish sauce (rotten fish juice)
2 cloves garlic
1 sm chili pepper
2tbs sugar
2tbs lime juice (or lemon, whatever)
1/4c rice vinegar

Shred some carrot & radish, add a bit of sugar to soften.

Silver noodles (clear noodles)

Pan roasted chopped peanuts (roast, then grind)

Then, serve with whole lettuce so you can make the rolls in the lettuce and let it drip down your sleeves...

or if you are a prude....

chop the lettuce and roll the combination in clear rice flour "wraps"

Either way, reserve the fish sauce for dipping. The more garlic & chili; the better.

Wheezie
05-13-04, 11:39 AM
yumm!

here's a great recipe for all you wanting to carb-load before a big athletic event...

breakfast cookies (they taste just like baker's breakfast cookies)

2 cups brown sugar (or 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup of sucanat (raw sugar))
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup prune puree (i use baby food -- the only amount i could find was a 5 oz. container, so, i dumped the whole thing in)
2 tablespoons water
5 egg whites
2 teaspoon vanilla extract (originally this was 1.5 tsp, but, rather than get another measuring spoon dirty, i changed it to 2 tsp.)
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional - i skipped them)
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots (cut with your kithen sissors)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the canola oil, prune puree, water, egg whites and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Stir in the raisins, walnuts and apricots. Scoop cookies using an ice cream scoop, or roll into golf ball sized balls. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets and flatten to 1/2 tall with wet hands. These cookies do not flatten very much while baking. (i skipped the "flatten them" part, maybe just a bit with the back of the ice cream scoop. they turned out fine.)

In the preheated oven, bake 8 minutes for chewy cookies 10 to 12 minutes for dry cookies. Cookies will not get crisp. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. (i cook them for 12 minutes and they were perfect! -- 8 min left them a bit raw in the middle)

source: http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/BkrsBrkfstCki.asp

i tweaked the amount of baking soda from the original recipe, so, if you go to the source to print it off, remember to adjust the amount of baking soda you use in order to avoid a bit of a baking powder aftertaste.

Penultimate
05-13-04, 12:47 PM
My favorite meal is the same as my favorite beer—one that’s paid for by somebody else. :D

FightingBoredom
05-13-04, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Penultimate
My favorite meal is the same as my favorite beer—one that’s paid for by somebody else. :D

You stole my line!

Now, if we could get someone else to pay the price for eating it too....and wear the 67 extra pounds of fat that comes with it! (Well, speaking for myself anyway!)

Looney-N-Idaho
11-16-04, 04:58 PM
Mine is any meal I don't have to cook! :)

stori813
03-21-05, 05:37 PM
My favorite meal is Breaded pork cutlets,homemade applesauce,mashed potatoes with cream gravy and buttery peas

whiteraven
03-21-05, 09:45 PM
Coconut chicken curry w/basmati rice, cucumber raita, carrot chachumber w/chopped cilantro, pooris, naan or chapatis, mango chutney and lime pickle.

RhapsodyInBlue
03-22-05, 09:25 AM
Raven, similar to you :D Thai red or green curry. Also, Mexican food HOT :)

capt kylos
03-22-05, 01:36 PM
A nice thick ribeye smothered in mushrooms with baked potato w/ sour cream and a romaine lettuce salad. Hold the angioplasty please. Capt Kylos:D