View Full Version : TS questions

smow
03-31-10, 04:53 AM
I'm 99% sure my boyfriend has TS. Sadly, I'm a hyper-sensitive person who is irritated/annoyed by repetetive tapping, unnecessary sounds/noises, loud voices, to name a few.

Anyway, he grimaces his face, blinks, clears throat (to the point where others think he is sick), rythmically taps his fingers, whistles songs that he hears over and over and... well, you get it.

My questions are:
*Is he aware of his tics?
*Can it be controlled to some extent? Or would that cause too much frustration on his part?
*Would it be ok to discuss it with him? How would you suggest I approach it?

We're not little kids. I'm 55 and he's 57. Truthfully, (and there's a word for my over-sensitivity to sounds, loudness, etc) I know I'm not perfect, but his seemingly lack of awareness of his tics and the tics in general, drive me nuts.
Help... I'd like some please!
Thanks

Logic
04-10-10, 11:09 AM
*Is he aware of his tics?

I was relatively unaware of stuff like excessive blinking or breathing out sharply through my nose until it was pointed out to me.
I have always had little 'spasms' in my shoulder/neck since I was little, and I've always been aware of them. They are only very small, slight movements and I used to call them 'muscle hiccups' when I was younger.
The larger movements that sort of mysteriously appeared about 18 months ago - well, I'm very much aware of them as they tend to involve entire limbs and large muscle groups suddenly springing into life... :)

*Can it be controlled to some extent? Or would that cause too much frustration on his part?

I can 'put off' a movement (I'm loathe to call them tics as I don't actually have a diagnosis of TS) for a while, but if I can describe it like shaking a bottle of cola up - the fizz is still there contained inside, until you unscrew the lid later on and it explodes out and makes a mess...
I can stop myself from having, say a shoulder shrug at work (somebody told me it looks like i'm trying to headbutt my shoulder, so not a small movement) by putting my arms behind my back and tensing them, or putting my hands on top of my head and tensing my shoulders and back and then the urge sort of goes away, but when I'm walking to my car after my shift - I get heaps of them in a row and they're generally much worse than they would be usually.

*Would it be ok to discuss it with him? How would you suggest I approach it?

All I can say to this one is: there's no harm in asking.

Logic