View Full Version : We Can Do It! DeCluttering Thread for Wednesday March 31st

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 09:23 AM
well ladies, yesterday was our first day & im sure we all didnt get everything done we wanted to do, but thats OK!

we tried, its fresh in our minds, and with enough encouragement & with each other we can make little dents in our mess!

as for me, the thought of the garage sale & making signs etc for my mom was DRAINING me. i got a few done (after i decided they werent *perfect* and then going to 3 different stores to get the right supplies) and then i took them to my moms.

thank GOD she wasnt ready to have the sale today too!!!!!! its been postponed til i dont know when, but i felt the biggest sense of relief!!!!

so today, i have decided to do things a little different.... im gonna clean the ADD was!

im just gonna start moving & whatever i get done, i get done & i will be happy about it! NO PRESSURE!

im SOOOOO happy we have each other!

Krys.
03-31-10, 09:42 AM
Good Morning,
I'm a bit flustered today & will not be checking in as often. My goal is to get it ALL done. Yes I know that's an unrealistic goal but I am going to try my absolute hardest and I just have 5 hours for sure to do it! Why? Because I goofed, well not so much goofed as ... well yeah, I guess it's a goof. I paid a couple of bills. The ones I paid are such that even though I made the payments (even early on one), NORMALLY they wouldn't have gone through until tomorrow or the next day... no big deal, tomorrow is payday. Well they both decided to send them EARLY!!! :eek: ack So this morning when my husband called me to ask how much gas he could put in the truck (cause it's practically on empty) and I checked the account it has us OVERDRAWN!!!:( Which means, he is going to have to borrow $$ for gas to get home today.(why is it that I have to have a deposit in by 3pm or it doesn't count until the next day but people can send in checks after 3 and it still counts against us? How is that fair?:mad:) He doesn't blame me for this, he understands how it happened.... however, that doesn't make him any less grumpy about the fact and if he comes home to a messy house it's not going to improve his mood. So, now that you've read the whole thing (and if you didn't that's ok, I don't blame you) you know why I want to get this place in tip top shape. So, I'm going to have a cup of coffee, a fat bowl of Golden Grahams and get busy!!! Wish me luck! (I'll need it) Wonder if I can hyperfocus on my house today..lol :cool:

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 09:48 AM
i sooooooo understand!

when i know my husband is mad at me, i can do some serious cleaning! LOL

fear & guilt are an AMAZING motivator! more so than if my in laws were coming! lmao!

Krys.
03-31-10, 09:53 AM
lol @ the in-laws comment....
He's actually not mad at me... but I do know that he will be in a sour mood because of the situation and when he is in a sour mood already and then comes home to a messy house it just makes it worse ya know?

demfabbones
03-31-10, 09:54 AM
Good morning! Today my goals are to straighten up the downstairs of my apartment for the Easter egg dying get-together I'm having Thursday. Entertaining is a big motivator for me because I like for my apartment to look cute when people come over...usually it's just a throw everything in the closet strategy, but this time I am really going to CLEAN and ORGANIZE. I mostly just have to wash dishes and go through the mail...ugh. The mail stack is huge and ever-accumulating. My roomie and I are both really bad at going through it and it's a huge pile. I am also going to try to do a few loads of laundry...dun dun dun!

Krys, I hate dealing with finances! That stinks that they put the checks in early - that will teach you to pay bills on time! (Haha, just kidding!) I myself have an old credit card bill that has been hanging over my head this past year. I am going to pay it TODAY.

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 09:54 AM
this is really off topic, but you know those KIA commercials with the sock monkey & yo gabba gabba???

well.... i made a facebook page for the sock monkey! LOL

i take pics of him in various places doing silly things.... become a fan if you want!

http://www.facebook.com/txsockmonkey

BrandNewDay
03-31-10, 11:41 AM
Hello ladies,

Well, I did not get everything on my list done yesterday, but I woke up today with less clutter than yesterday so it was a good day. I am in major de-cluttter mode at the moment attempting to work through years of clothing, toys and paperwork. I truly do make a bit of progress everyday which is so motivating.

For today:

1. Finish cleaning daughter's dressers and bag old clothes
2. Mail taxes!!!!!
3. Go through 2 bags of clutter in the garage
4. Job interview at 4:00!!!
5. Apply for 3 jobs (from yesterday)
6. Mop kitchen floor and upstairs hallway

Thank you for this wonderful and motivating thread. I soooo appreciate to have a place to come where I am not judged and where small victories are celebrated.

Suz57
03-31-10, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone! I should probably quit the cleaning and start on building an ark- the flooding here in RI is unbelievable.

Krys- sorry about your problems- this economy stinks.
Bones- I'm impressed that you're able to have an Easter Egg party. A month ago, I told my friends that I wanted to have one. Looking at this mess- not a chance.

So- for today I want to finally mail those '08 taxes and actually start to put the Christmas stuff away. Hmmm- same goal as yesterday- not good...

BrandNewDay
03-31-10, 11:55 AM
SUZ57,

I am mailing more than one year of tax returns, too, and both are for refunds. Truly sad...

Let's both commit to getting these taxes in the mail today, okay? I have to run out for a 2:45 pick-up and my goal is to have everything printed and ready to mail by the time I leave the house at 2:30.

Let's do it!

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 12:56 PM
how is everyone doing?

im kinda piddling, but thats ok! i have a great attitude today & have the evening to myself tonite too! no pressure about dinner... my kid will be at church & my husband is going to a friends house!

BrandNewDay
03-31-10, 01:03 PM
Stop piddling, my dear, pick up a pile and set your timer for 15 minutes. :-)

I just finished a resume for a job submission. 1 down / 2 more to go. I am also working on a bag of stuff from garage. Half way done a bag. Woo hoo!

I love this thread...

Krys.
03-31-10, 01:06 PM
Taking a quick food and coffee break. So far I've gotten a fair amount done, not as much as I'd like but it's coming along nicely. I've decluttered/straightened the entry, topped of the fish tank, cleared off the kitchen table, organized the computer desk, decluttered/straightened the living room, taken out the trash.. and it's only taken me almost 3 hrs!! Sheesh. I have almost 2 hours before I have to leave for a bit. Now as I've been cleaning, I've also been keeping a list of the things I still want to do in each place... so here goes:

ENTRY
freshen the chinchilla's cage
clean the french doors (all those glass panes!!!!)
vacuum & dust
put away the stuff in 2 laundry baskets (clutter not laundry)
clean the fish tank glass

KITCHEN
clean & oil table
sweep
do the dishes
wipe down the counters and stove

LIVING ROOM
vacuum & dust
straighten toy corner
move some laundry
empty the playpen (little one doesn't use it and so it became a catchall for everything else)

BATHROOM
toilet
counters
mirrors
trash
straighten tub/shower

OUR ROOM
do something, ANYTHING with the clean laundry monster. If I have time, I'll work on putting it away but if not, I'm hiding it!!

Ok that's it. My biggest focus is going to be on the kitchen & bathroom for now. Everything else can wait. (=

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 01:26 PM
hehe! i love it! yes maam!

Stop piddling, my dear, pick up a pile and set your timer for 15 minutes. :-)

BrandNewDay
03-31-10, 02:08 PM
hehe! i love it! yes maam!

Written with affection, of course. I love how we all want to see each other "win" with small goals.

I continue to be productive and I have no meds in me until I get a new prescription tomorrow.

vssjayden
03-31-10, 02:12 PM
Still working on laundry,go grocery shopping this evening and um school work either this evening or today sometime.But their's a load of laundry in the dryer waiting for me as we speak!

Suz57
03-31-10, 05:14 PM
I'm afraid you guys are in a different league. I'm so impressed (maybe a tad jealous) that you have decluttered enough to worry about cleaning.

BrandNewDay- did you mail your taxes? My husband mailed our '08 taxes- guess it might be a good time to start thinking about '09's.

Thanks to this thread- I have almost finished putting away the Christmas stuff. Right now I am lying on a couch with an ice pack on my back, having just taken lots of Motrin. Once my back is numb- I am determined to finish clearing the dining room so we can eat there. Sheepishly- I have to admit that it's not just for Easter- the kitchen table is covered with stuff too. Ah...will it ever end?

As someone said- this thread makes us accountable to someone while simultaneously, having the support of others while we try to reach our goals for the day. I have never felt so hopeful about finally getting this place in order so a big thanks to all.

Krys.
03-31-10, 05:29 PM
Ok, gone and back again. I got all of the kitchen stuff done, all of the bathroom stuff except for straightening the shower/tub but that's 1/2 done. I haven't touched the entry again yet and I have decided that MOST of the misc laundry that's in our room is going into some trash bags and playing hide and seek for a bit. I'll put my husbands stuff away but there just isn't enough time to put it all away and I would really like for him to come home to things looking good... even if I have to get "creative" to get it there.

LUVMYROTTS: How did that 15 minutes of something go? And lol @ sock monkeys. I'm not looking but lol just the same. :)

DEMFABBONES: I'm not a fan of finances either but that's part of my "job" I can't believe they put them through early either! I've been talking myself out of waiting till the last minute for so long and when I don't, this happens! sheesh How is that downstairs looking? Egg hunt ready?:)

BRANDNEWDAY: Great job on your progress today! Did you get those taxes in the mail?:)

SUZ57: Remember, each day is a new day. No worries about it being yesterday's goal Yesterday is over, but today is not. :)

VSSJAYDEN: a load of laundry waiting in the dryer means it's a load of laundry that got washed and dried! Awesome! :)

Krys.
03-31-10, 05:49 PM
I'm afraid you guys are in a different league. I'm so impressed (maybe a tad jealous) that you have decluttered enough to worry about cleaning.

It all depends on what room I'm in. I have certain rooms that I really try to keep the main parts of the house decluttered but other rooms are a different story... my Laundry room for example, is not even close to decluttered.

I have almost finished putting away the Christmas stuff. Right now I am lying on a couch with an ice pack on my back, having just taken lots of Motrin. Once my back is numb- I am determined to finish clearing the dining room so we can eat there. Sheepishly- I have to admit that it's not just for Easter- the kitchen table is covered with stuff too. Ah...will it ever end?YAY for the christmas stuff. That's fantastic!! Sorry your back is not cooperate. Good Luck with that dining room. And it may "never end" but that doesn't mean it can't be manageable. :)

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 07:35 PM
Suz! I'm not in a different league at all! Trust me!

Can someone else start the thread tomorrow? I have to take my husband to the dentist first thing in the morning.

Suz57
03-31-10, 07:46 PM
I did it! The dining room is empty. I boxed up everything and my husband is going to bring the remaining boxes down to the basement tonight. Yippee!!

Rotts- I could start a threat late tonight but I don't know how. If you give me directions... Thanks for saying I'm not the only one.

Krys- I know what you mean about certain rooms. Years ago, my laundry room used to be filled to the brim with stuff. My parents and sister's family used to spend Halloween with us and every time, my sis would open the laundry room door and point out the mess to my parents. Sibling rivalry perhaps?

So ladies- if my back wasn't bad right now I would go dance around with joy. Guess a big 'ol smile from ear to ear will have to suffice.

Suz57
03-31-10, 07:47 PM
ooops...forgot to mention, I even cleared the kitchen table!

LuvMyRotts
03-31-10, 09:40 PM
Well I managed to get some stuff done! Basic cleaning stuff and laundry, but no decluttering yet. I did look at things differently though! I took a good look in my closet and I'm going to get rid of about 50% of the stuff in there! I REALLY need the space for storage of my business supplies anyway!

I can start a thread tomorrow while I'm in the waiting room... It will be about 8:30 or so.

demfabbones
03-31-10, 11:14 PM
Suz, don't feel bad - trust me I have not done decluttering yet...someone has been in my room trying on all my clothes and shoes today and throwing them all over the floor. Oh wait, that was me.

Krys, I guess I will have to straighten up under pressure tomorrow after work bc I did nothing today! I straighten well under pressure but it's just my brother and a close friend coming over, so I'm not too concerned. Because I'm bored, want to vent and love to write, let me just give you a play-by-play of my incredibly unproductive afternoon, Bridget Jones-style- (I know you all have had days like this, right??!)

2:40 - School's out. (I'm a teacher.) Normally I stay till 5, but since I'm going to be productive this afternoon, I can totally leave early!
3:30 - Finished making copies for test tomorrow. I'm so productive! Leaving work now.
3:40 - Home to change clothes. (I LOVE living close to work!) Just going to listen to "Some Guys Have All the Luck" by Rod Stewart. Been on a big Rod Stewart kick lately.
3:47 - Need to go to bank, pharmacy, call insurance company, buy eggs for tomorrow.
3:47 - And change my facebook status so people know where I'm going...
4:10 - D-----! Haven't even changed clothes yet.
4:15 - Definitely the Beatles shirt.
4:16 - I look like I'm 13.
4:20 - Just a plain blue shirt.
4:20 - or black.
4:22 - Just the same one I wore to work.
4:25 - I hate my new haircut. I wonder if I have time to straighten it...?
4:27 - No, I'll just put it up.
4:30 - or down.
4:32 - Ready to leave. Crap, where is insurance card? Need to call insurance company before 5. Oh yeah, lost it and ordered a new one. Must be in this giant mail pile somewhere.
4:50 - Found it! Dialing...oh, Karen's calling! Hello?
5:10 - This bread is so delicious. Needed a snack while talking to Karen. Heading out now.
5:25 - Bank, pharmacy and insurance company all closed. Will head to Best Buy for totally unnecessary microphone for "Beatles Rock Band"
6:02 - Best Buy guy is so stupid. There totally is such thing as a microphone that plugs into USB.
6:15 - Guitar Center. $80 for a microphone! Blugh.
6:42 - Target. They don't have them either.
6:55 - Ooh, Garnier products are on sale!
7:02 - Oh, and I need eggs!
7:03 - omg are you kidding me? They are out of eggs.
7:04 - Karen calling, time to go decorate cake.
9:40 - home. Going to bed early tonight. Just going to check the forums and facebook...

And there you have it. I'M GOING TO BED SO I CAN DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW FOR REAL THIS TIME! (Sorry, not yelling, the caps are for me.) :) Night!

Rots, you are totally awesome for posting this from the doctor tomorrow! If you have not started it I will try to remember to check and do it!

Suz57
03-31-10, 11:59 PM
Bones- Thanks to you I have been sitting here laughing out loud while my family is looking at me like I'm crazy. My son just flew in from Baltimore and I just heard him in the kitchen saying, "I can't believe she just discovered Forums- that's a dangerous thing." See you all tomorrow-

Krys.
04-01-10, 07:51 AM
Krys- I know what you mean about certain rooms. Years ago, my laundry room used to be filled to the brim with stuff. My parents and sister's family used to spend Halloween with us and every time, my sis would open the laundry room door and point out the mess to my parents. Sibling rivalry perhaps?.

First I want to say FANTASTIC JOB on the dining room. Yeah my laundry room is a disaster. I walked in there last spring/summer to make sure the dryer was off before I left the house and heard a buzzing sound. I turned expecting to find a bug and found about a 5ft black rat snake instead!! He met his demise but I remember being worried that he would disappear in the laundry room mess. I swore I was going to clean it up after that. It's still a huge mess. Maybe that will be my spring cleaning project... although I would prefer to only do it while DH is home. I dealt with the snake last year but I like having the option of him doing it! lol