View Full Version : thinking about changing meds????

AnitaL76
04-01-10, 05:55 PM
Hi all
My 8 year old DD just got put on ritalyn 20mg. we are currently having to crush them and add them to ice cream as she is unable to take a pill whole. also stuck having to do this 2 times daily (not fun).
my DD is going away to camp for the summer and needless to say adding icecream to her bag is not exactly an option, also she is sick of taking a pill at lunch and wants to "be like the other kids at lunch". we have an appointment in another 2 weeks to see her ped. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about possible meds that may be ok to crush or capsules that could open to add to applesauce or something so she can get it in but then would work all day? I had seen postings about a patch, though I am not sure they are available here in canada yet :(
Thanks
Anita

Scooter77
04-01-10, 06:47 PM
crushing creates a problem, the long acting types depend on their coating so you cant crush them. I've heard of the patches, but never seen or spoken to anyone using them, no idea how effective they are.
Maybe you need to work on her being able to swallow tablets? I have a 6 year old daughter with the same problem, it's so annoying! Sometimes I wish she was a dog so I could just push it down her throat!! LOL! Don't worry people, I'm not going to try!!

canukie
04-01-10, 10:51 PM
Hi there fellow Ontarian.

I'm wondering why your doc is using ritalin when there are better (long acting meds out there). Is it the cost?

Long acting are definitely the higher standard for kids. Can you research adderall or even vyvanse which just came out in Canada? You can sprinkle adderall on yogurt although if you have it with acidic foods (orange juice, or sprinkled on apple sauce) its effectiveness can be very diminshed. Vyvanse is a powder in a capsule you can mix with water. And there is also biphentin (methylphenidate, like ritalin only longer acting which can be sprinkled.

See the CADDRA guidelines (Canadian Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Resource Alliance) for prescribing and show them to your doc. See the doc section to find the guidelines. You can also ask your pharmacist for info too...see what they say about ritalin vs others. And you can use that info to go back to your doctor about.

My child had a hard time swallowing pills but I got him to practice with tic tacs. If he could swallow one he could have the whole package. There are some postings here on how to swallow pills.

AnitaL76
04-02-10, 08:29 AM
Hi Canukie

I know our Ped's main reason for his choice of meds was cost. We do not have coverage of any kind and he was concerned we would not be able to afford to keep our daughter on the meds if they were to expensive. especially as hubby was in denial at first of her even having ADD, thought she was just not paying attention. I think the past 3 weeks on meds and comments comming back now from the teacher prove this is a good thing for her, at least for now.

Is there really that much of a diffenence in cost between ritilyn and adderall or vyvanse? I know I saw someone post to get the higher dose tablets and halve them (considering I am currently crushing them this is not much of a problem anyway), apparently this may bring the cost down. I am having difficulty getting info from the pharmacy as they want me to give them the name of what the Dr perscribed only and give me info on that rather than other meds.....

I deffinatly need to work on getting her to swallow a pill, it would make things SO much easier. going into the bush with friends for a week would not be so scary as I would know she could take the meds without needing special requirements. (last thing I need is her being inattentive in the middle of the bush in Northern Ontario..... too much space to get lost!) I will deffinatly check the rest of the posting to see if I can find the info on Pill taking, hopefully someone will have found something I have not already tried :)

Thanks and I will deffinatly research the 2 meds you told me about :)
Anita

tessmesser
04-02-10, 04:07 PM
The following capsules can be opened and sprinkled on anything (toast, in a sandwich, on roast beef, on eggs...) it does not tast like anything.

Focalin-XR, Adderall-XR, Metadate-CD, and Ritalin-LA.

canukie
04-02-10, 10:24 PM
Hi AnitaL76

I don't know the cost of ritalin but at Shoppers Drugmart the cost of a single 30mg vyvanse capsule is $3.90. Since we're only using about a half capsule per day the monthly cost is about $58. Fortunately we have a drug plan through work. The cost of the Adderall XR 10 mg capsule was about $2.85.
I believe there is a generic adderall but I don't know if its in Canada.

You can google the meds and the companies all have product monographs available for both docs and patients if you can't get info from the pharmacist.

MGDAD
04-08-10, 05:44 PM
There are no generic versions of those long acting meds that Tess listed. There are some generic long acting stimulants, but I think they need to be swallowed whole.

Tiggertoo28
04-09-10, 12:21 PM
My son has been taking some form of ADHD medication for 6 years now (he's 12). We've been through the list: Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Adderall, Adderall XR, Vyvanse & Daytrana (the patch). His problem is that he's apparantly a fast metabolizer - even the Vyvanse (which is supposed to last around 12 hours) would be out of his system in less than 4 hours.

Adderall XR was just released in generic form on April 3rd, 2009. (Shire sold the brand patent to Teva last year when they came out with Vyvanse). See if your pharmacy carries that one and talk to your doctor to see if it's appropriate for your daughter.

Any of the extended release stimulant medications (capsules) can be opened & sprinkled in applesauce, ice cream, yogurt, etc I believe. You don't crush the long-acting capsules though - you open them and sprinkle the contents onto whatever you want to take it with. However, if your daughter's going away to camp, the camp will have strict guidelines about when & how she gets the medicine. She won't be able to just put it in her own applesauce & take it when she wants to - it will have to be dispensed by the camp staff. A lot of camps are good about having stuff available for medications though.

Now, the second part of my response - the patch. I could fill pages and pages of the different combinations, dosages, brands that we went through over the years... And the patch has been the most successful & effective as far as I'm concerned.

The patch is actually Daytrana, and as far as I know there is no generic. My son has been on the patch instead of pills for 9 months now and I can't say enough about it. It's great. As long as it's on, it works. No more medication wearing off because his body processed it already, no more multiple doses during a day (having to take a pill at lunch, afternoon, etc), no fluctuations in it's effectiveness. Just a steady dosage that works as long as it's on, and for about an hour or so after it's removed. The only issues we have are it itches him a lot if it's not applied properly (bubbles) and it tends to dry out the skin.

The biggest reccomendation for it (and the funniest for me) was from my son. He started going to public school this year, in addition to having started on the patch. He comes home on about the third day and tells me "It feels weird. I'm not used to being able to pay attention". First year ever with no behavior issues, no complaints about fidgeting or inability to pay attention from the teachers, great grades, no comments that "he's a bright child that can do better than he is".

Since there is no generic, it's quite expensive without insurance. I've got a prescription plan, so it's only $40, but Target pharmacies put the "cost" on the labels, it it says that retail cost is around $484 per month.

My son is going away to overnight camp for the first time this year, so we'll see how effective it is in that situation!

MGDAD
04-09-10, 03:52 PM
Some capsules can be opened and some cant. Concerta, for one, should not be opened.