View Full Version : Just joined the site.

ChrisH
04-05-10, 02:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Been reading the forum for a couple of weeks but I just signed up, seems like a great place.

So I'm a father of two boys, a 3 1/2 year old, and a 1 year old. Even though there has been no formal diagnosis we are pretty sure our older son has ADHD.

In addition to the hyperactivity, impulsiveness and inattentiveness he is extremely oppositional. He looks for opportunities to break rules at all times, even when we strongly focus on positive reinforcement for good behaviors and quick punishments for negative ones. In spite of speech issues he can clearly state the rules and the consequences for breaking them, but appears unable to stop himself from breaking them.

He received two 10 weeks blocks of once a week speech/physio/OT & behavioral therapy and the resulting recommendation from the panel was to try medication for him, as they are unable to get through to him and don't have any suggestions anymore about how we can either. We went to our pediatrician today and he said that medication CANNOT be given before the age of 6 and he should go to a psychologist.

So now we're caught in a loop, the psychologist thinks he needs medication and is unable to do anything for him, and the doctor refuses to look at the medication route and says the psychologist should be able to handle it.

Anyone have suggestions or thoughts? Similar experience with this extreme oppositional behavior?

My wife and I are at our wits end, we can't deal with him being like this any more as it just drains everything we have.

vssjayden
04-05-10, 02:45 PM
I understand what you are going through I have a ADHD son and lord knows it's a struggle.
With combination with IEPs at school,a person who sits with him through class,time-outs and medication we seem to have it under control. If you need some pointers your more them welcome to ask,we will all put our 2 cents in and everyone here is great. It's helped me. I am also ADD. So welcome and enjoy!

FinallyAnswered
04-05-10, 02:46 PM
Hi Chris and welcome.

I agree with the doctor and think that 3 and a half is a bit too young to start him on stimulants. Children don't develop their true personalities until age 6-7, so it's tough to gauge which direction they're going to go. Once they enter school and can really distinguish between right and wrong is probably the best time to make that decision. You also need to see how they act in day-to-day social situations like school. Typically, ADHD kids have great difficulty with social skills.

Also, does anyone else in the family have ADHD??

Good luck!

MuscleMama
04-05-10, 02:54 PM
Can the psychologist suggest a psychiatrist to follow up with? They could do an evaluation and prescribe meds. Or possibly a neurologist referred to by your doctor. Pediatricians are not always ideal for handling adhd.

ChrisH
04-05-10, 02:55 PM
Thank you for the responses. No one on either side of our family has ADHD.

If you'd have asked me a few months ago i would have agreed with you about no medications at this age but I'm not convinced we can get through to him anymore at this rate. He'll be starting preschool in september with an aid, which should help him at school, but right now he's acting up in all situations, home, daycare, at parks, in classes, everywhere.

A lot of parents don't even realize that their children have adhd until school age, where with him, we already suspecting it at a year old, and now people meet him for only a few minutes and can figure it out about him, he's so unable to concentrate.

Ms. Mango
04-05-10, 08:22 PM
I'd like to respond but before I do, can you tell me the nature of your son's speech problems?

Also, has anyone suggested a behvioral therapist who can work with your specific needs? That helped us a bit at that age.

ADHDTigger
04-06-10, 06:02 PM
Chris, I was diagnosed prior to beginning school at age four. Medication didn't start until I was in a classroom environment even though the diagnosis was made. Keep in mind that this was 1967 and there wasn't the level of information that we have now.

My mother said she knew I had ADHD from the cradle. I was lucky in that she proactively looked for a diagnosis.