View Full Version : any suggestions

6angels
04-06-10, 05:32 PM
My daughter was diagnosed with adhd and was put on concerta. I wish I would have researched more about it. I recently did and she is no longer taking it. I am so upset that they even give that stuff to kids. But I was wondering if anybody knows of a herbal that would help for adhd. I'm not even sure she has it but I want to try something besides drugs.

Nishira
04-06-10, 05:38 PM
i have to wonder if "herbal" wouldn't also be considered drugs? also, in some senses, i have to wonder if a herbal couldn't be just as much, if not more dangerous then drugs - because it's probably never been tested extensively and who is to say what is the right amount for a given person?

MuscleMama
04-06-10, 08:17 PM
Just because something is 'herbal' doesn't mean it's safe. What research made you scared of concerta? What sort of evaluations has she had?

This thread might be of interest: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78006

mike1w
04-07-10, 08:20 AM
Concerta is safe, if prescribed properly by a doctor who knows what he or she is doing, and taken or given as prescribed. My son and I both take concerta. Problems can result from misuse or abuse, but if you supervise your child, nothing bad should occur. If this helps, my son and I both have our own seven day medicine box strips, which is labeled by day, and we each open up our daily dose ourselves, my son makes sure he shows us it every day.

Imnapl
04-11-10, 01:19 AM
Another drive-by, two post wonder?

MuscleMama
04-11-10, 08:43 AM
Another drive-by, two post wonder?

I know, I hate that!

LoveSoCal06
04-12-10, 07:35 AM
i think that i would try no drugs or herbal meds at all if you arnt comfortable with giving them to your daughter you know moms are always right when it comes to feelings and your kids lol, why dont you try changing something in her invironment like trying to work with the problems of the adhd maybe extra ways to get her to spend more energy doing something active with her? i find that with a kid who has adhd or not it always helps in ever aspect to spend as much time with them just being there when you can and be patient with her im sure its frustrating for the both of you but you will find a happy medium and then maybe when shes older if you both decide medication is worth a try again then her body might take to it better. i hope that helped in some way.

Scooter77
04-12-10, 07:41 AM
i think that i would try no drugs or herbal meds at all if you arnt comfortable with giving them to your daughter you know moms are always right when it comes to feelings and your kids lol, why dont you try changing something in her invironment like trying to work with the problems of the adhd maybe extra ways to get her to spend more energy doing something active with her? i find that with a kid who has adhd or not it always helps in ever aspect to spend as much time with them just being there when you can and be patient with her im sure its frustrating for the both of you but you will find a happy medium and then maybe when shes older if you both decide medication is worth a try again then her body might take to it better. i hope that helped in some way.
Yeah thats lovely, but love doesnt cure brain disorders and leaving them untreated can create more problems. I think it's fair to say that most of us mum's tried all the 'natural' alternatives...and the behavioural ones....and the social ones....and all the other ones that were suggested. But at the end of the day, it's an imbalance in neurotransmitters and that needs to be fixed with medication.

LoveSoCal06
04-12-10, 08:16 AM
you are right about that but if shes not going to medicate then shes got to have something to fall back on right? :)