View Full Version : How much Ritalin do you take?

t-bird
06-19-04, 01:54 PM
I was wondering how much everyone takes and what time you take it.

I have been recently been taking 20mg in the morning then 15mg at noon and 5mg at 3:00. Its been working out good so far.

Andrew
06-19-04, 05:44 PM
When I took Ritalin, I took 10 mgs, 4 times a day

steveb
06-20-04, 11:55 AM
I take 54 mg via the Concerta tablet every morning.
It is Ritalin based, but I am not sure how it compares mg-wise to straight Ritalin.

David
06-20-04, 12:45 PM
I usually take the same amount that BIG did. I get 20 mg. brand Ritalin and I break them in halves, which I then take aproximately every 3-4 hours, usually 4 times a day.

I have varied my intake substantially and this is what I found works best for me. I weight right about 230 lbs.

Tara
06-20-04, 01:27 PM
I take between 30-60 mg of Ritalin LA. I take 30mg when I wake up and if I know I am going to have a long day I take another 30 mg later in the day.

I don't know how you guys take the short acting stimulants. I'm so glad that I began on the long acting. I'm lucky to remember to take it once a day...

Tara
06-20-04, 01:35 PM
I take 54 mg via the Concerta tablet every morning.
It is Ritalin based, but I am not sure how it compares mg-wise to straight Ritalin.18 mg of Concerta mimics taking 5 mg of short acting ritalin 3 times per day. So 54mg would be like taking 15 mg 3 times a day or 45 mg a day.

Because Concerta is also made up of the chemical release mechinism it's not exactly the same as ritalin.

David
06-20-04, 01:51 PM
I have tried taking the longer acting Ritalin but it does not maintain for me like they claim. After about 4-6 it wears off and it runs on a downward slope the last two hours, though if I take it in the evening time, I find it harder to go to sleep. With brand 10 mg. Ritalin, I can often go to sleep on it if needed.

t-bird
06-20-04, 02:54 PM
So do you think your weight affects how much you need to take?

pershingd
06-20-04, 03:05 PM
Up until a few days ago I 20 MG of Ritalin LA 3x daily. I've been forced to change Drs and trying to wean off of Provigil (Loooong story) so now I'm down to a morning and early afternoon dose so I can sleep at night.

PershingD

David
06-20-04, 10:48 PM
So do you think your weight affects how much you need to take?
My doctor said it definitely does amongst other things but I am not sure it has me. What I am doing usually affects how much I take.

Andrew
06-20-04, 11:00 PM
I have tried taking the longer acting Ritalin but it does not maintain for me like they claim. After about 4-6 it wears off and it runs on a downward slope the last two hours, though if I take it in the evening time, I find it harder to go to sleep. With brand 10 mg. Ritalin, I can often go to sleep on it if needed.

Same here....though I don't take Ritalin anymore.

Gracie
08-02-04, 10:12 AM
I just started taking Ritalin LA 20mg once @ morning and I like it a whole lot better than the Methylphenidate 10 mg. 2xs @ day I was on for 2 months.

Marcelo
08-03-04, 03:26 PM
I take one Ritalin 10 mg in the morning (about 10 am), then another at about 2 pm, and sometimes I take another at 4 pm to be able to work properly, and sometimes not.

Sometimes I don't take ritalin at all (weekends and some work days).

Best regards,
Marcelo

Keppig
08-03-04, 05:36 PM
Tara, my doctor says some ADDers are more sensitive to other ADDers. I'm very sensitive so I take 5 mg three times a day and can sleep fine and it gives me some control over my add, my son was taking 30 mgs twice a day, he's on 56 mg of Concerta now. So is my daughter. Neither are as sensitive to me.
Incase you are curious. I was on 20 mgs and I became emotionless and my creative mind died. I could only sleep about 4 hours. I was put on probation at work. I was then dropped to 10 mgs and I could do some of my creativity but I was anxiety driven.
At 5 mg I can concentrate and be creative, a skill necissary for child raising and drafting. :)

tamarama
08-03-04, 06:38 PM
I take Ritalin LA 20 mg twice a day: once in the morning and once again about 3 p.m. to get me through the afternoon / evening "second shift" of Mommyness. Sometimes it seems like I need another dose midday -- I can get a real brain fog around then sometimes...

Safu
08-07-04, 12:46 PM
I take 20mg generic ritalin 4 times a day, every 3 hours. Sometimes I cut it down to 3 and seom days I kick it up to 5 tabs a day. Every once in a while I skip a day entirely and I enjoy the loose feeling I get form being unmedicated. That is not to say my mate of 31 years enjoys it or that those humans I need to interact with are at ease. Those days are few but I feel more creative and less likely to "settle for less than perfect" in mt expectations for the day.
Oh well.
beemerbob

mctavish23
08-07-04, 05:17 PM
Takes (1 ) 20mg methylpheindate SR q am and another @ noon . Seems to work well.

LoveMyGirls
08-13-04, 11:53 PM
Sheesh, after reading what all you adults are taking, it seems like my daughter was taking much more than she should have of Ritalin. Because she started having more difficulty with focusing and remembering what she needed to do, her doctor recommended she increase the dosage from 30 to 40 mg LA in the a.m. and add a 10 mg. dose of the short acting after lunch (she already took 10 mg after school), so with everything she was taking 60 mg a day--she's 10. Once we did that, her grades and confidence did improve, but I couldn't help but wonder how much more she could tolorate. It seems like she needs a dose increase every year, and at that rate she's be on an incredible dosage by the time she's in high school.

Does anybody else find that the meds don't work as well after a while and you need to increase the dosage slightly? Perhaps this is more common with children?

t-bird
08-13-04, 11:57 PM
The reason I started this thread was because I was curious if there is anyone that takes higher doses. My dosage has slowly increased a little over the past 6 months. I started with 18, then 30, and now 40.

I feel like the ritalin is getting less effective over time. But I tried taking 25 mg in one dose and it made me feel sick. My max is 20 at a time.

Safu
08-14-04, 12:16 AM
At one time I was taking 3-20mg sr AND 5-20 mg regular ritalin per day. That was a little too much. I dropped the SR and upped the 20mg to 6-7 per day. I am now at 4 - 20mg per day but three days this week I've been at 5. I never feel like the effects are lessened. If anything, now that I try to make myself sleep (without sleeping meds) 5-7 hours a night I think the meds dosage is just about right for me. I will never forget the first time I had ritalin, what a wake up to a new world, a much less chaotic place to be. But I don't have to tell anyone here that do I? I just wish I'd been given these meds when I was a child or a young adult, hell, even in my 30's would have been good too.
Bob

t-bird
08-14-04, 01:28 AM
Safu,

How much Ritalin are you prescribed? What I mean is what does the doctor want you to take per day?

Safu
08-14-04, 07:48 AM
4-20mg methylphenidate / day.

Trooper Keith
08-17-04, 08:41 PM
This is exactly what it does for me, I take a 20mg Methylphenidate SR in the morning, and a "booster" 5mg Methylphenidate at around 4. I might have to up that to a 10 though for college, because I'll be needing it more...

The SR normally goes for about 4-6 hours, like he said, but the "stay awake" part doesn't fade for a long, long time after that. However, the SR does "taper off" the effect, so symptoms come back gradually, unlike off the 5 where it's like "Bam ADHD."

juliette
12-14-04, 01:37 PM
Sheesh, after reading what all you adults are taking, it seems like my daughter was taking much more than she should have of Ritalin. Because she started having more difficulty with focusing and remembering what she needed to do, her doctor recommended she increase the dosage from 30 to 40 mg LA in the a.m. and add a 10 mg. dose of the short acting after lunch (she already took 10 mg after school), so with everything she was taking 60 mg a day--she's 10. Once we did that, her grades and confidence did improve, but I couldn't help but wonder how much more she could tolorate. It seems like she needs a dose increase every year, and at that rate she's be on an incredible dosage by the time she's in high school.

Does anybody else find that the meds don't work as well after a while and you need to increase the dosage slightly? Perhaps this is more common with children?I have 2 sons that are on higher doses of concerta. They are only 5 and 7. Two different doctors told me children sometimes need more than adults because they metabolize the meds faster and differently than adults. just a thought. Yes, we also increased the dose after awhile, then we switched to a different med(from Ritalin to concerta), and it seems to be working wonderfully for them.

ferrette1976
12-14-04, 02:02 PM
I used to take 15mg twice a day. I had the same feeling- like I was building up a tolerance and needed more. I am only taking wellbutrin right now. I wish I had the ritalin though - I think I need it. It is just so hard to get I have become frustrated and lost the motivation to even try.

stanzen
12-14-04, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I started on Ritalin in October this year at 5 mgs twice a day as an experimental dosage. This showed some benefit, but after getting accustomed to the drug, I needed a higher dose. My pdoc recently gave me a large script for 10 mg generic Ritalin and instructed me to find an effective dose. My current dose is 20mgs in the morning, 10 after lunch and 5 @ about 3PM (35 mgs. total). This works well, and I can sleep at night.

laraR
12-14-04, 05:21 PM
LA 40mg morning, then 20mg in the evening depending on hws and assignments

rottndobelover
12-15-04, 07:21 PM
30mg in the AM and 20mg around noon. Sometimes 10mg in the late afternoon if I really need it.

flin
12-17-04, 07:29 PM
I taking ritalin 30mg LA about 7:30 AM but i'm starting to consider the possibility of taking another one by the noon

tractor1
01-05-05, 02:30 AM
I am on 20mg four times a day. More recent adult ADD info agrees with this, about 80 mg per day, although everyone is different.

FoggyPhil
02-08-05, 08:56 AM
I take 30mg in the morning, another 30mg at lunch, and 20mg at the end of work. So far its been great for me, very even throughout the day, and I still go right to sleep. I haven't experienced feeling like it didn't work as much. I have however noticed that sometimes it seems that way because the novelty of how great it is to feel "normal" starts to wear off.

Chadwick
02-14-05, 03:41 PM
You should discuss a drug holiday with your doctor, say, once or twice a week (weekend?). Or possibly no dosage on Saturday (fun day), and then light dosage on Sunday (time to do homework for the week ahead). Also, holidays, summer, etc., you should probably eliminate dosing altogether. For days that you deem "productive," you can certainly try a low or moderate dose, such as cleaning days, etc. But you really need to think about the consequences of tolerance, I think it's a real thing with this drug. Times of reduced dosage and especially complete abstinance days may help stave off or eliminate that slippery slope. I'm implementing a 5 day on/2 day off policy at some point in the near future. I already take 1 day off a week.

-Chad

PS: Despite what your doctor may believe (if they're not educated or maybe narrow-minded), tolerance to methylphenidate is a very real thing, at least in some people. Possibly in most. It is best not to gamble with that possibility, which is why I've done it, not necessarily against the recommendations of my psychiatrist, but he just feels it's unnecessary if you have true ADD.

Does anybody else find that the meds don't work as well after a while and you need to increase the dosage slightly? Perhaps this is more common with children?

mustFocus
02-21-05, 10:13 AM
I just started so I'm still playing with the dosages. Today, I took 10mg this morning and I'm pretty wired right now. I'll probably take 5mg after lunch. I don't know if tolerance builds up with use but I'm surprised that 5-10mg is having such an effect on me (healthy 100kg male). Then again, I've always been sensitive to certain stimulants. Sudafed can make me ballistic if I take too much.

I've also found that I have to be careful with my blood sugar. If I get hungry then things get a little kooky. I also tried to quit smoking cold turkey. I found that niccotine withdrawal and Ritalin are a bad, bad, combination.

It *is* helping quite a bit, though. Yesterday I was able to order a pizza on the phone, get the coupon ready, drive through downtown traffic and find the pizza place with no stress or fogginess or getting lost. It sounds mundane to my non ADD wife but it was an uplifting moment for me.

OldSchoolG
02-26-05, 06:18 AM
I've been in the trail period for about almost 3 weeks now.
I've done 5/5/5, 10/10/10, 15/10/15, 20/20, 20/10/10 etc, nthing more then 40mg a day.
Today I had a big project to do so I only took 25 mg at one time right before I had to start it and it seemed to help a lot. Whats confusing to me is when I took 20mg at once it seemed like too much...but now the 25 mg helped me a lot, anyone else experience something like this??

I'll see what happens tomorrow I'm going to take 25mg 10:00am/25mg 2:00/20mg 6:00

OldSchoolG
03-07-05, 12:05 AM
I've been in the trail period for about almost 3 weeks now.
I've done 5/5/5, 10/10/10, 15/10/15, 20/20, 20/10/10 etc, nthing more then 40mg a day.
Today I had a big project to do so I only took 25 mg at one time right before I had to start it and it seemed to help a lot. Whats confusing to me is when I took 20mg at once it seemed like too much...but now the 25 mg helped me a lot, anyone else experience something like this??

I'll see what happens tomorrow I'm going to take 25mg 10:00am/25mg 2:00/20mg 6:00
Well I don't take regular Ritalin anymore...because I had unsteady days...too much up and downs...so Pdoc has given me 10mg and 20mg of Ritalin LA...don't know what dosage works well yet...but I'm trying to find out more info about Ritalin LA first!!:)

ditzygirl
03-07-05, 09:35 PM
My doc just prescribed me Ritalin(generic) 3 x a day at 10mg. The 2nd day I felt energized, but lately I've been feeling kinda laid back. It's only been 4 days so we will see.;)

ditzygirl
03-10-05, 03:17 PM
Oh, I also wanted to say that there is NO difference between the generic methyphenidate and the brand name ritalin. It's the same substance, all your paying for is the name, or should I say, where it originated.