View Full Version : Doing a test dose tomorrow

JenE
04-08-10, 08:24 PM
Saw the dr today and she says it's time to try something else. The Strattera has helped but not to the extent we would like. She feels the behavioural issues we see (impulsiveness, dark moods, irritability) are aspects of ADHD the Strattera isn't addressing. What we are doing obviously isn't working and she doesn't expect to see any additional improvement until we change meds.

I see her point but it still scares me.

But we are trying a test dose tomorrow and if he does ok, then we will decide on a new med and dose and try it next wknd. We did a test dose of ritalin last summer and he actually did well--his post-dose testing was better than the pre-dose testing and he didn't have a "crash" when the med wore off that night. So hopefully this will work out well. Wish us luck and I'll keep you posted.

MuscleMama
04-08-10, 08:50 PM
Does he have to wean off the strattera? What about the other meds?

Hopefully it will be great! :)

JenE
04-08-10, 08:57 PM
Thanks MuscleMama! She said we would wean off the Strattera eventually but she doesn't want to make multiple changes in the meds so we don't have to guess which one causes what reaction. Once we get him established on a stim, we'll wean off the Strattera. The Lexapro will definitely stay and the Tenex may or may not, we'll see.

Why am I so nervous???

MuscleMama
04-08-10, 10:03 PM
Because change with our kids means walking on eggshells ;)

JenE
04-08-10, 10:23 PM
You are so right! But then again, we've been walking on eggshells for a long time so maybe soon, it won't crunch with each step!

ADHDTigger
04-08-10, 11:41 PM
Jen, I don't know if this will help or not...

I was on Ritalin at four years old and was on and off it until I was around twelve. Back in those dark ages, the belief was that ADHD simply went away. Drug vacations were common (and awful) and every time something new showed up, I could expect to be switched.

I know that I would have been in such a different place if I had been allowed to stay with a med that worked and allowed to stay with it throughout school.

Time to allow that you are doing the very best you can with what you have.

(((hugs)))

JenE
04-09-10, 01:03 PM
Thanks Tigger! I know you are right. I'm just a worrier and change is hard for me too.

We're back from dr and I'm encouraged by the results. I'm going to post them in a different thread.