View Full Version : Adhd and social anxiety: Tenex vs ssri's

hollywood
04-09-10, 09:57 AM
I'm currently trying intuniv, I think after all this time of wondering why I can think really well in calm environments is probably due to the fact that stimulants help me focus but don't help with eliminating other distractions that can be sensory or come from stress and multitasking. I can get chest tightness just by an environmental stress and it creates a conditioned response... It sucks because its transient but not taking stims is not an option. So I'm trying intuniv, it is slowing things down but I do kind of have a fog, I wonder if lexapro or cymbalta or anything is has a better success rate with adhd meds for social stressors. I am good socially at times but at other times I'm totally off and thats just not working for me. I need and desire universal success. Any opinions on lexapro vs intuniv and which one is less likely to interfere with my stims effectiveness and help with social stress as well?

hollywood
04-16-10, 11:01 AM
lets' go , let the feedback start rolling-

Nick
04-16-10, 02:54 PM
Well, I am new at this myself, but I think Lexapro is very effective in general. It might be worth it to give it a try.

hollywood
04-16-10, 03:38 PM
I took lex for two days once.. whoo hoo record, and felt like I was a martian. I had no idea what I was talking about in conversations... I'd ask my wife, I'd say holy expletive and then say I don't know what i'm talking about and she'd say just smile at them most people are boring and find this type of conversation interesting.....

Ta dowe!

Nick
04-16-10, 03:42 PM
Wow. Well, that's interesting. I did not have anything remotely close to that experience, so I don't know what to tell you. What does was it? Maybe cutting the dose down and trying it again could be an option.

MRS_Update
05-21-10, 08:29 PM
Hollywood,

I had the same experience on celexa...at first I thought it was from the concerta I was taking so I stopped taking it and the klonopin. After 3 days of taking nothing but celexa I felt paranoid and out of my skin, not to mention anxiety was through the roof! Quit taking celexa the following day and immediately noticed a relief of symptoms. Everyone is different, but for me the most effective combo is 10 mg Adderall IR w/ .5 mg klonopin, taken together. I am calm, focused, and organized, can talk to people without fear, and have control of my impulses. Also, I'm not sure why, but Adderall XR has the complete opposite effect, even with the klonopin dose. It made my heart beat out of my chest, and I was constantly on edge. The anxiety totally overpowered the focus from the XR. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps!

hollywood
05-24-10, 09:29 PM
Man I
just don't know, doc has never mentioned klonopin

hollywood
08-22-10, 08:48 PM
Still battling this issue been trying ssri's once again, I am one week into celexa and feel a bit anxious, not sure what to make of this as I have had physical and social anxiety for awhile. I am 29 this has to stop. Anyway been on celexa for a week not sure if this will work. Do not want weight gain either, maybe tenex at night would be better

willinabox
01-20-11, 11:52 AM
I'm taking lexapro right now...I felt the same way you did when I first started taking it...felt completely out of it and didn't really know what I was talking about, I'm at 5mg now and I notice those side effects have subsided.

However, I still get way to anxious when I take a stimulant....I was wondering if tenex would be an option...or maybe even in addition to stimulants, as I know it has a anti-anxiety effect.

I have a feeling that if I am on the Tenex and Lexapro, I will be unfocused and unstimulated/groggy/tired....since I have been told that both have somewhat of that effect.

hollywood
01-20-11, 04:18 PM
what's up will,

All I have to say is up to this point I have yet to stick with an ssri longterm. I've tried and tried and believe me it's not fun. I know with adhd we get things stuck in our head and alot of times it's just doesnt go away until our environment changes. The problem is that I feel uncomfortable alot of times and unfocused too many times in different environments so sine college it's been up for debate whether it's my nasal sinus allergies which really could be affecting me , my adhd , or true anxiety issues mixed with depression issues. I just don't know, I workout so much that alot of times I wonder if I'm just chronically fatigued. Anyways , I'm on day 4 of prozac with my stims lol and I feel tired like always on this stuff but I guess I'm giving it a shot. I tried intuniv with my stimulants and it calms down the mental noise so you can focus better on whats in front of you. Intuniv or tenex may just be the best way to go with my treatment plan. It helps anxiety by increasing focus and decreasing distraction.