View Full Version : Ativan

netsavy006
04-09-10, 03:30 PM
I went to see my pdoc today about the Ativan. I told him about how I didn't like having to have to go around with the 2nd/3rd dosages at times when traveling around. So he suggested how about trying 2mg AM/PM. I said ok and he wrote a script for 1mg Ativan 2pills 2AM/2HS. Later on in the day (ride home from program) I thought about how the medicine would be sedating (like he mentioned), but even bigger I worried because of my past brain seizure. It's proposed I had the brain seizure because I was "messing around" with the benzodiazapines. And I didn't want to change my current dosage to something new and risk something. Plus, I'm on the 4x/day regimen for anxiety/restlessness and it works as best it can on a 4 times a day basis. I worried that if I only had a twice a day dosage even though it's still a 4mg total if I only took 2 in the morning and got anxious or restless I would be stuck. So when I got home, I told Mom about what happened and she thought it best to keep the dosage the way it is as I concluded on my ride home. (1mg four times a day). I'm sure the pdoc expects me to be taking the pills the "other" way till next week. What do I do and what do I tell the doctor next time I see him about my medication?

Nick
04-09-10, 04:48 PM
Well, I don't really understand it to be honest. These new directions don't make a lot of sense, and doesn't sound like the doctor put a lot of thought into it.

Basically, you are doubling your dose, which will make you more dependant, and more sedated, yet leaving a huge gap during the day where you aren't covered. So you'll be withdrawing off that big 2mg dose during the day, and you'll probably want to take more pills. This just doesn't make any sense at all.

Take the pills 4 times a day, and when you see your doctor, tell him it doesn't make any sense.

Then ask him for Xanax XR or Klonopin.

Klonopin is fantastic. For me, it is not sedating at all. You feel "normal" on them except your anxiety is gone. And, you only have to take them twice a day at most. The half life is so long, that you'll never withdraw from it unless you don't take it for a couple of days.

I usually take .5 one day, then a whole one the next day, then maybe another, whole one, then maybe a .5. I change it up, and try to keep the dose low. But because it builds up in your system because of the long half life, you are covered. There is always a steady stream of the drug in your blood, working, all the time.

Nick
04-09-10, 04:50 PM
I would find a benzo equivalancy chart and see how much klonopin equals the ativan you are taking, and also try to find out about people who made the switch and what their experience was.

There are all different ways to do this. You might just be able to directly switch, or maybe take klonopin with a little bit of Ativan for break through anxiety until the klonopin builds up in your system after a few days.