View Full Version : best types of exercise for ADHDers?

smartestblonde
04-09-10, 05:46 PM
Just curious for those of you who exercise, what types of things do you do? Have you found a particular type of exercise more tolerable than others? I have always hated exercising, I find it excrutiatingly boring....I will get on the treadmill, and after 5 mins, want to move on to something else, no surprise. However, I really need to lose some weight and just need to start some form of exercise for health reasons, so I'm curious to see what others enjoy. The thought of just getting started is overwhelming....

vssjayden
04-09-10, 05:51 PM
Just dance with the Wii, so much fun, walk around the block with my dogs.
Thats when I can get motivated! *L* It just seems like to much work to umm put the disk in the wii, turn it on move the coffee table. And well to walk I have to make sure I have work out clothes on and well my shoes and I can hopefully find the leashes.

Nishira
04-09-10, 06:01 PM
the Wii is *fun* - but, i never really felt challenged by it. It also *stalks* you .. if you haven't been on the Wii in awhile .. and someone else gets on - it'll start asking them questions about you, and also badmouth you to them, behind your back ... creepy :cool:

i live about 10 minutes from a lake - so many times i'll head over there and jog around the lake. however, i get bored w/doing the same thing too many times and after awhile - it does get harder and harder.

another thing i'll do - and this is cool because i don't have to go anywhere for it... i have a rubbermaid stepping stool ($7) and i do a stepping routine to it while listening to music. generally i do a light jog the whole way through (up/down/up/down/up/do...well - you get the idea...). I guess that can be seen as the most boring of all but truth be told, it's the music that drives me, so inspite of the apparent boringness of it - i'm not too bored because i do it to music of my selection.

vssjayden
04-09-10, 06:03 PM
*lmao* your wii is possessed.

meridian
04-09-10, 06:08 PM
I got on my stationary bike today for the first time in a year or so. :D

MUSIC is what makes it work for me. I have to get past the first 5 minutes before I enjoy the exercise itself.

Scooter77
04-09-10, 06:23 PM
Yep, I'm with you meridian, music is the key. I like to go out for a run or get on my spin bike, either way it's all about the music....

Sirrah
04-09-10, 07:17 PM
Something you can do that doesn't require much concentration, so you can focus your attention on something you actually want to do. Like music, as others have said.

For me, it's either the treadmill in front of the TV. Or listening to music while weight training. (Music is also good for long walks, or runs, if I'm not too out of shape!)

You just have to make it fun somehow, if you do it through sheer force of will, you'll never keep it up!

alan1
04-09-10, 07:33 PM
Stationary bike. But it is attached to a Computrainer which shows a bike animation on the computer along with data on speed, wattage used, distance etc. I also download all kinds of stuff, mostly from public radio (favorite is This American Life) to listen to on my ipod while riding. I also work with a trainer to keep the workouts interesting. We have never actually met but the guy but sends workouts by email that keep me fit without getting hurt from over-use injuries. The stationary bike alone would be too dull to contemplate.

drewbie
04-09-10, 08:00 PM
For me, it's any sport, tennis, basketball, soccer etc. I love my sport, so it's easy for me to stay interested with it. I absolutely hate treadmills and gyms with a passion, just cannot for the life of me stay motivated and push through when you do lose interest.

tinkerbell84
04-09-10, 08:39 PM
Haha, I have the same problem with cardio. I do weight training and don't feel too bored, but the days I want to do cardio used to kill me. If you have a cardio machine at home, I recommend putting it in front of the TV and watching your favorite show or a movie. If you go to the gym like I do, I highly recommend getting a portable tablet dvd player. I just got mine not too long ago and it makes it soooo much easier to do long cardio workouts. It also helps me kill two birds with one stone by getting through my netflix list quicker. I don't always have time to watch dvds at home, this way I watch them at the gym and get through them.
I got this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014KROZO/ref=oss_product

Good luck!

C.C.
04-09-10, 08:46 PM
I like circuit training or plyometrics the best. You move from one thing to the other very quickly and never have much of a chance to get board with a move. I do both P90X and Insanity (beachbody.com) and love them.
Another good thing about doing a circuit or plyometrics (jump training) is you burn twice the calories or build more muscle than just running or riding a bike in less time.

It is the only thing I have been able to stick with. :)

Nishira
04-09-10, 08:49 PM
just wanted to add/make a plug for the newly coined "Rubbermaid Stepping Routine" :).

Similar to what CC mentioned about circuit training (although i'm sure, to a much lesser scale) - the stepping involves many different muscle groups - so you're getting much more of a workout then just running.

When i'm doing the stepping, i vary from using my legs, my abs, my butt, my back - etc, one body part gets tired so i then focus on another part to do the heavy lifting.

peripatetic
04-09-10, 08:58 PM
i don't like the gym, but i do like being outside, so i go trail running with my dog. i like it because i get to be outdoors and it's more challenging than you might imagine keeping your balance while going uphill/downhill/exploring new places/dodging puddles in the rain, so i don't get bored:)

MmeHibou
04-09-10, 09:48 PM
I run outside (it is sooo beautiful now!) on a path in a huge prairie-like park. There's always something new to look at. What also works is running through a neighborhood where you can sort of choose your own path as you come on it. I also do a couch-to-5k, which is interval training. You run for an interval, and walk for one. Repeat (usually about 6 times). It gradually builds you up to running a 5k. It keeps me focused and motivated. You can download a podcast (I think there's a free one) or you can buy something like this: http://www.gymboss.com/ that will help you do it on your own, so you can make your own workout playlist.

Good luck! I exercise every day, and it has DRASTICALLY reduced my overwhelming feelings of understimulation.

gnbeg
04-09-10, 11:02 PM
I love to exercise. But here are a few things that might help if you get bored:

take an ipod loaded with your favorite songs or videos. I load episodes of my favorite tv shows and watch them at the health club when I'm on the spin bike or eliptical.

Work toward some goal. If you ride bikes, then set a goal to ride a century or half century. If you run, train for an upcoming 5K or 10K. Or just set a fitness goal, e.g., I'm going to run 2 miles in 20 minutes.

I recently took on Karate. I absolutely love it. I can't get enough. It challenges me both physically AND mentally. I wish I had tried it years ago.

Just a few ideas.

naninni
04-10-10, 01:28 AM
intense walking or jogging with awareness.

wmazz
07-05-10, 01:48 PM
I ride a bicycle and swim for my cardio. I can't stand stationary methods

Layla771
07-27-10, 10:33 AM
Great thread!

I've always hated exercises with a vengeance too.. Though I was lively as a kid.. (I think my Mom yelled 'No no no' one too many times I guess, she says my spinning in the kitchen made her dizzy, and she was constantly worried we'd fall off a tree or something-??) Hated PE in school, got better in high school, as we could just walk/jog by the river.. And playing basketball for fun (without a teacher near!) was actually - shock! - fun.. sometimes..

At the Uni it was interesting to run in the 'high society' areas with lots of people (you could always hope to meet the President or at least meet any interesting people), or we went jogging together with friends.. Always hated the machines too..

I guess I'm just bored to go running by myself now, and my friends live far away or have too much fitness level compared to me.. So, not sure what to do?

Some areas here are problematic, I get upset over some trash there and how healthy is it then?? (I do pick up small ones, if I have a bag with, some big things like possibly-asbestos-rooftiles are responsibility of council though, and they haven't done anything about it in years! They know about it, I did call, guess I'm too shy to nag though? And maybe it's not even asbestos /rant/)
I just got bored of some other tracks, and with the summer heat couldn't quite figure out the timing either.. Soo..?
Also, if I was told to go for a walk, I didn't want to - so now I told my parents this and they said I mustn't go out of the house-?? OoO lol!! Not sure if it'll work or not?? lol!

Trying to get myself motivated/inspired again.. It just seems such a waste of time (even though it's beautiful outside here..) /And yeah forum posting isn't a waste of time?? lol! Talk about logic!!)

A cool thing to do is exercises by the computer (with hands/arms/neck - someone at another forum told me of this!) Very cool! Also, running up and down stairs to get something - sometimes I purposely don't bring everything with so I can go up and down again.. I've even gone on the elliptical now that it's in the 'home office' (ideally with TV/music on..) Come to think of it, music videos or figure ice-skating always inspired me to move too.. just to see the gracefulness of those people..

nomannomad
11-13-10, 10:27 PM
I tend to prefer anaerobic to aerobic. Things like:
-running up 10 flights of stairs as fast as I can
-sprinting, especially up hills
-bodyweight squats (*** to calves, i.e. all the way down) for 50-100 repetitions.
-anything else that makes me sweat and huff and puff in short order.

This stuff is a better drug than adderall for me. If I am at all tense or upset or confused, this stuff breaks through the fog.

I do some aerobic exercise, especially long walks. And I also do weightlifting and calisthenics, but the intense anaerobic stuff is trans-formative.

mguffey31
05-11-11, 03:08 PM
Brazilian jiu-jitsu!

Blueranne
05-11-11, 05:12 PM
I like jogging but its too slow. Riding a bike (non stationary) is faster and you can see more and go further. Treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes are SO boring! Bball or other team sports can be mentally challenging and fun.

Xbox kinect is way fun!

Yoga helps me slow my mind down a bit and I enjoy the more physical stances.

Impromptu_DTour
05-11-11, 05:26 PM
LaVienEnRose

sops
05-12-11, 03:07 AM
Brazilian jiu-jitsu!

Martial arts! It really helps as there's structure and the one sport that I've been doing for 10 years.. But err, I didn't stick to one discipline though. Keep changing from karate, taekwondo, judo, etc.. but hey, fighting's still fighting.. feels good though as the skills are transferable and I learn new techniques fast.

The other sport that I do on weekends is mountain biking. Started out with cycling from point A to point B and I find it mundane. With mountain biking, the terrain is everchanging and if I get bored, I do jumps and drop off 3 to 5 foot cliffs and I love the adrenaline rush.

I've tried rowing and I fell bored halfway through rowing (can you believe that!). Soccer? When the ball's not in my court, my mind wanders away..

dsvlil1
05-12-11, 06:36 AM
I tend to go for the most engaging forms of exercise I can get into.

Martial arts was great, especially doing tournaments and getting the massive adrenaline rush that comes with it.

Anything you can do to music tends to be good at sucking me in. I did partner dancing that had an acrobatic element to it and that was awesome.

Group/partnered exercise seems to be the only thing that can engage me enough to keep coming back, going to the gym was just mind numbing.