View Full Version : how do you eat? (fast, slow, etc)

Nishira
04-09-10, 05:53 PM
I've always been an incredibly fast eater. I'm pretty sure i inherited the "fast eating gene" from my dad (hehehe) as he was the same way.

I know it's common wisdom to eat slow to give your body more time to know it's full - but that's never worked for me.

When i go out to eat, i definitely order (and can eat) a lot of food. Although i have the propensity to overeat - i also eat healthy a lot of the time. I think it's due to keeping a vegetarian/mostly vegan diet that i'm not in terrible shape. I'm about 20lbs overweight, which to me is terrible - but in the grand scheme of how much heavier i'd probably be if i was a meat eater and if i ate dairy more often - it's not too terrible.

Anyhow, i still want to lose the extra weight, of course.

One of the aspects i'm working on now w/my therapist is better eating habits. As as experiment - she's having me eat more slowly, taste my food, the components, the textures, etc. She also suggested that when i drink - to drink through a straw - to sort of get the same affect. I haven't done the straw thing yet. Also, i'm trying the eating experiment but only about 20% of the time.

I find it *incredibly* difficult to eat in that manner. It's so counterintuitive to the way I *want* to eat. I'm the type that *absorbs* food. When i am able to force myself to eat slowly - it's exactly that, i'm forcing it, it's a big battle between my intellectual self of wanting to try doing something in a different way versus my lower emotional self that's just like "naw naw naw gimme gimme slobber slobber slurp slurp" :p, well ok, you get the idea.

So, i'm just curious what kind of eaters other people on this board are and if any of you have successfully changed the method of how you eat and if so, what challenges you faced and what helped you to overcome and succeed?

inquiring minds would like to know ... :cool:

Sirrah
04-09-10, 07:09 PM
Must... remember... to chew.

I tend to eat incredibly fast, too. I have made a conscious effort to slow it down, as I quite often suffer from bad indigestion and constipation. Alas, my efforts only last so long before I revert back to my old ways!! Story of my life.

mctavish23
04-10-10, 11:42 AM
Very fast.

I also tend to eat one thing at a time ( i.e., all the veggies, then whatever's next,etc.)

Excellent question (tastefully avoids the obvious "food for thought" idea...lol).

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

ideaman
04-10-10, 11:51 AM
I'm a very fast eater, too. I also eat compulsively, especially sweets, pasta and bread. I have found that not eating alone helps me eat less. I love cooking and have a very fine palate, which makes me spend more for better quality food / wine than many others.

Nishira
04-10-10, 11:52 AM
Very fast.

I also tend to eat one thing at a time ( i.e., all the veggies, then whatever's next,etc.)

Excellent question (tastefully avoids the obvious "food for thought" idea...lol).

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Ha ha, avoids it - but still gets it in there - smooth ... :p. the "food for thoughts" was kinda funny actually.

peripatetic
04-10-10, 11:57 AM
it depends. total cop out, i know;)

i'd say it depends on 1. how hungry i am and 2. the food in question.

if hungry and something tasty: as fast as i can:)

if not too hungry and tasty: i tend to talk more than i eat such that very little goes into my mouth.

if hungry and i can't find something tasty: i often get frustrated to the point of being distracted and don't eat at all.

not so hungry and nothing tasty: i snack sometimes because i think i *ought* to. it sucks, though, and feels like a chore. it goes down very slowly and i can easily convince myself that a few bites *totally* constitutes a meal so i've completed the 'task' and can move on.

i've not changed my eating speed (at least, i don't think i have...certainly not willfully...).

i do end up eating more on medication, though, unlike many others i've seen posting on the food issue. my partner ended up identifying the reason for me: when i'm off medication i will get food, then eat a bite or two and move on.

i do this with beverages, too. if i go out to a tavern and don't take medication i'll order something, take a drink or two, leave it and go do whatever (who knows what? talk to someone, hit the loo, etc), and then order another beverage. i *think* i've had half a dozen drinks and i'm amazed i don't even feel tipsy. in reality, i've possibly consumed one full beverage and left half a dozen glasses in random places:rolleyes:

i do the exact same thing with food.

novagal
04-18-10, 02:25 PM
I'm generally a very fast eater, especially if my mind is on something else as I'm eating. For example if I'm working while I'm eating it seems like I take that first bite and then I don't know where everything else went but it's suddenly gone.

I did get in the habit of eating more meditatively I guess you'd call it, with a sense of gratitude, taking the time to really taste the food, feel the textures etc, appreciating what went into growing and preparing it (even if it's my own cooking) and it's had an interesting and positive effect on me. And I think that overall I eat less because I give myself a chance to get full.

This isn't to say that I don't enjoy a full faceplant in a bag of white corn chips now and again, or eating three huge servings of veggie lasagne when I'm hormonal.

There's one thing that will SLOW me down when eating without any effort on my part, and that's really fresh excellent quality food. I find myself savoring every bite, exploring all the flavors I can find in it, making mental notes of what I might want to try in my own cooking (yeah, notice this really fresh good quality food comes from other people's kitchens :D)

The better and fresher the food, the more slowly I tend to eat.

I don't care so much for junk food, I don't like how I feel after I eat it, but I will happily mow through a burger and fries once in awhile. There's nothing meditative about me eating a burger. Except for the clean up of the carnage on my face, arms, and clothing afterwards.

fracturedstory
05-01-10, 06:34 AM
It's not just eating slowly that tells your body you're full but chewing many times (let's say 20 for each morsel) can trigger an elastic like function to your brain and it will then tell your stomach that you're full.

I think I sometimes eat fast or slow. I'm content with my weight. I just need to remember to get the average amount of calories a day, because I'm falling a bit behind.

TriciaJ
05-04-10, 09:19 PM
I eat incredibly fast - as though I am worried someone will take my plate away! I also eat impulsively -- without much thought at all sometimes. Some days are better than others.

~Tricia

meridian
05-04-10, 10:16 PM
You know what they say, the slower you eat the better you are in bed. :)

Of course, I am usually the slowest eater in any group I'm in. :D

:rolleyes:

Twiggy
05-05-10, 11:47 PM
I usually eat slow, making sure I chew everything up into tiny peices.

Nova
05-06-10, 01:39 AM
I eat, extremely slowly.
I don't know, if that's, a Southern-thang, or just because, I, personally enjoy, the social aspect, of dinner, with company.
Except....I eat, slowly, even without company.
Maybe, it's, a Savouring- thang. (0:
All I know, is I'm, always, the last one, to finish eating.
It drives, my friends, bonkers.

Nova

ginniebean
05-06-10, 01:51 AM
1- 2- 3 ---- GO---- I win!

EshkaronsEngine
05-06-10, 01:59 AM
I eat like I am searching for essential elements in order to balance my CHAOTIC body.

mad83
08-24-10, 08:54 AM
If I am not dining with anyone, I wolf down lunch in 5 minutes. If I am dining with my husband (who LOVES to talk!), it takes me about 30-45 minutes and the food gets cold. I love that because I'm satisfied from the meal.

ZiggyFry
08-24-10, 11:34 AM
I'm a grazer. I can eat a huge amount of food for my body size, but I eat it quite slowly. I prefer to enjoy my food instead of eating it as fast as I can.

Sin.Ziggy.

snickerz
09-22-10, 05:54 AM
I eat extremely fast my therapist said to eat it slowly and think about the food that your eating ie were it come from problem is tho i forget to eat slowly lol

tipoo
09-22-10, 06:13 PM
Varies greatly. Sometimes I can take hours, sometimes I scarf it down in minutes. Depends on if I have other things on my mind, other distractions around me, and just how damn yummie the food is :D

Rebelyell
09-22-10, 08:38 PM
People tell me to slow down no 1s gonna steal it but usually I never finish any meal and Im last 1 done. back when I was 17 folks went to a thanksgiving/fall church turkey dinner all you can eat.Well I was chow hounding it and I was so full when desert came around I forced myself to eat it.Well I was so stuffed an parents were talking so they told me to go for a walk in the parking lot.Im walking around and next thing I know Im not feeling to good,some 1s in the bathroom,I went back outside and was trying to stifle it.next thing I know a family was walking by as I yaked up on this big oak tree in the parking lot,they looked mortified.I was so embarrassed later I told folks and that was a mistake because my dad got on me for always overdoing it and always taking too much an not thinking bout any 1 else and being gluttonous an blah blah blah.Story of my life,I dont have to hear it anymore my folks are gone.Until I went on Anti'ds I was 5'11 and a buck thirty no more then 140 thru out most of my 20's.I could hide behind a telephone pole,but do to some of my behaviors I think it ruined my stomach in some ways.

StoicNate
09-22-10, 09:16 PM
Slow eater.
I like to take time eating and savor all the flavors.

L120
01-06-11, 02:42 PM
I know it's common wisdom to eat slow to give your body more time to know it's full - but that's never worked for me....

...it's exactly that, i'm forcing it, it's a big battle between my intellectual self of wanting to try doing something in a different way versus my lower emotional self that's just like "naw naw naw gimme gimme slobber slobber slurp slurp" :p, well ok, you get the idea.

Both of those statements hit the nail right on the head! You pegged exactly how I feel when I have to think about what I'm eating and how slowly I'm eating it... it takes the joy out of the act, at least for me anyways!

However, every other day of my life, I do not think about what I'm eating and how slowly I'm eating it, and my eating style is a prime example of what Freud would have called the id part of the personality. My current hypothesis is... maybe my id ate my ego and superego, because I haven't seen them anywhere.

Soon after devouring my plate, the emotional "food-hangover" comes... and it also takes the joy out of eating for me. It just as easily snatches up that joy I worked so hard to attain edibly... it just want 'till after I've eaten!

I dont understand how, when faced with a full plate of food, the rational part of me can just say "C-ya, Leah!!" :confused:

sarey
01-16-11, 12:21 PM
If it is around people, slow.
If it is by myself & it is a binge, very fast.

NorCalAndy8
01-29-11, 08:02 AM
If I'm having lunch or dinner a fast food place I'll usually eat faster than everyone else there. I won't eat as fast at a sit-in restaurant, but I try not to be bothered by people around me.

But one thing is for sure, I'll try to enjoy my meal when I do not have to pay for it. ***** taste good when its free..mmmhmm :p

C8H10N4O2
03-11-11, 02:50 AM
If it is around people, slow.
If it is by myself & it is a binge, very fast.

Same here. With people, I'm usually the last one finished. By myself, I don't ever know how all the food disappeared.

eggyolkes
03-11-11, 02:58 AM
Generally, wayyyy toooo fasttttt

buddy
03-11-11, 09:17 AM
I am a fast eater especially at home.I tend to slow down if I am in public or around people that I don't know well.

loveydovey25
03-26-11, 12:23 PM
...I also heard that you fill up faster so you eat less overall

alan1
03-26-11, 08:28 PM
Very fast. But it may be as much to do with my family rules at the table growing up as ADHD. There was never enough seconds for everyone and you did not get seconds until you finished your first serving. So I learned to eat the things I liked really fast so I could get seconds. Of course it took any pleasure of actually tasting the food away by snarfing it down. Now it is just a habit - or maybe it was the ADHD all along...

Offle
03-26-11, 08:53 PM
I inhale my food when I'm sitting at the dinner table with my family. I can scarf down a piece of chicken, some vegetables and some rice in five minutes easily.

When I'm watching TV, on the computer, reading, or having lunch with a friend though I tend to eat very slowly because I get distracted or caught up in what I'm doing rather than eating. My friend and I went out to lunch two weeks ago and it took us two hours to finish our meals because we kept talking and would forget to eat.

I've noticed that when I'm eating slowly I can only eat about a fraction of the food I would normally eat if I were eating quickly. I also digest the food more easily and I don't get as hungry later.

GoPlacidly
04-05-11, 02:11 AM
super fast

Amjad
04-07-11, 05:15 AM
Hi Nishira,
I eat slow because I chew food well before swallowing. I have inherited this form my dad also.
He told me once to chew food well as it helps you in digesting quickly and prevents you from getting fat.

Dark Angel
04-14-11, 03:37 AM
I use to eat fast before.... didnt eat for days sometimes too. But basiclly fast when i did. After i started on meds. things has changed cos the meds. makes me sick. And ive nbotised that if i eat too fast now i'll only get more sick