View Full Version : Need more meds

Cherie
04-10-10, 03:42 PM
Please help moderators,:confused: Thank you:)
I finally figured it out. I need 20mg of methylphenidate fast release every 2 hrs. I only have a prescription for 60 mg. The PMHNP goes off the FDA recommended dosages, but said he will go up to 80 for adults.

I would like to be covered by meds longer than 6hr.=60mg and even more than 8hr.=80mg. I would like to be covered for 12 hrs. from 8am-8pm=120mg or a least 8am-6pm=100mg
I think I should get it increased to 80mg then try find someone else that is more qualified to help me and that is honest, and not a trickster. I have not tried more than 70 mg a day yet.

I am wondering if there is another medicine that the adult FDA strength is approved for adults that is equivalent to 20mgs of methylphenidate every 2 hr to cover a 12hrs a day??

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 03:52 PM
Maybe the MPH patch: Daytrana.

Ask your doc about an adult-sized # of Daytrana patches. Should be pretty continuous, I'd think.

Cherie
04-10-10, 04:15 PM
I don't have a doctor that prescribes my med I have a PMHNP.
Do you know what the equivalent of the Daytrana patch is to methylphenidate 20mg every 2hrs to last 12 hr? Thank you.

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 04:19 PM
No idea what a PMHNP is—something something something nurse practitioner?

Anyway, all the info we could *possibly* want for Daytrana is available here:

http://www.daytrana.com/downloads/DaytranaPrescribingInfo.pdf

Happy reading!

~OD

Cherie
04-10-10, 04:22 PM
PMHNP = Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Thank you will go to link.

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 04:24 PM
PMHNP = Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner

aaaaaah. K.

Cherie
04-10-10, 05:30 PM
Hi O'Doyle, I see the patch that's equivalent to 82.5 mg over 9 hrs. That is almost the amount I need 90mg=9hr. Also the patch is supposed to start working in about 1 hr after you apply it. Do you think he will write out another prescription for 2 20mg fast acting doses also so it can last me long enough? He goes by FDA I don't know how/what FDA thinks about that.
So if I take 20mg at 8am then at 10 and patch at 11am =12 hr coverage. From 8am-8pm Thanks, Not sure if that's something that he would approve.

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 05:43 PM
Hi O'Doyle, I see the patch that's equivalent to 82.5 mg over 9 hrs. That is almost the amount I need 90mg=9hr. Also the patch is supposed to start working in about 1 hr after you apply it. Do you think he will write out another prescription for 2 20mg fast acting doses also so it can last me long enough? He goes by FDA I don't know how/what FDA thinks about that.
So if I take 20mg at 8am then at 10 and patch at 11am =12 hr coverage. From 8am-8pm Thanks, Not sure if that's something that he would approve.

I know my doctor wouldn't so much as bat an eye about *wallpapering* me with Daytrana patches if he thought it would help me. Docs are all different, I just happened to be fortunate enough to cross paths with one that believes in giving adult doses of medications to adult patients.

Some do, some don't; some will, some won't. How yours is likely to react I'm unable to say, but know that there are reasonable doctors out there—even if they are few & far between.

FYI, off-label Daytrana usage also includes leaving it on for more than the "approved" 9 hours... You might just leave the stupid thing on a few more hours and call it good :)

I'm a full-time college student, which makes for long days—so my doctor gave me the option to be medicated for up to (and sadly, sometimes WELL over) 16 hours at a clip.

Did I mention I LOVE my doctor? :D

Cherie
04-10-10, 06:16 PM
Thank you so much. After thinking about the patch it sounds like it might work well for me. I like the leaving it on longer advice. It sounds like they would gradually decline, vs a fast drop effect. Yeah, I know the Drs are all different about what they will and won't do. Mine goes by the FDA guidelines so, I was wondering about the FDA guidelines regarding 2 separate prescriptions for one person to cover the day. I hope that the patch is all I need. :) Thank you for your help and time :)

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 06:18 PM
Thank you so much. After thinking about the patch it sounds like it might work well for me. I like the leaving it on longer advice. It sounds like they would gradually decline, vs a fast drop effect. Yeah, I know the Drs are all different about what they will and won't do. Mine goes by the FDA guidelines so, I was wondering about the FDA guidelines regarding 2 separate prescriptions for one person to cover the day. I hope that the patch is all I need. :) Thank you for your help and time :)

Hold on there, tiger—I would follow your doc's instructions/titrating schedule to get you up to the dose you need, and then GRADUALLY experiment with longer patch days. Don't just slap the biggest patch on and leave it on like it's an extended-wear contact lens, lol. That's a good way to end up in the ER.

Aim for longer days at the optimal dose, sure—but go slowly. You only get one brain :D

Cherie
04-10-10, 06:26 PM
I only want the least amount the works best. I would work up to more only if needed. He is not really a Dr. I do not like taking medicine.

Cherie
04-10-10, 07:16 PM
Hey I was wrong the patch is equivalent to 30mg 3.3mg per hr. delivered. Even though it has 82.5 content. 3.3 mgs an hour is going to do nothing for me. Thanks for trying to help.

O'Doyle
04-10-10, 07:21 PM
Consider switching from a reuptake inhibitor class of med (which MPH is) to an agonist class med, like Adderall IR or XR.

That oughtta straighten you out :D

Cherie
04-11-10, 02:35 PM
I am having such a hard time with figuring this med thing out. I have Limbic ADD and Inattentive ADD also symptoms form the other types except type 6. I took SSRI's for 19 yrs for depression and PMDD. They did nothing for my Limbic ADD. I was reading about Adderall last night. Dr. Amen book Healing ADD suggests Adderall as first choice for inattentive ADD. He says it's gentler as it wears off.
I get tired after the methyl wears off for about 1 hr. need nap. Haven't been able to figure out how space them and what strength during what time of the day. I am gonna keep trying to figure it out. Today I'll try 20mgs. 4 hr apart.