View Full Version : would tylenol pm be better than xanax to sleep

LoveSoCal06
04-11-10, 03:17 AM
i usually take a xanax 1mg to go to sleep now im on adderall ir and the xanax does not work so could i take tylenol pm?

FinallyAnswered
04-11-10, 04:53 AM
i usually take a xanax 1mg to go to sleep now im on adderall ir and the xanax does not work so could i take tylenol pm?

Fellow insomniac here...lol

Instead of Tylenol PM, I would take some Benadryl. It's the same active ingredient for sleeping, which is an antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25mg). The Tylenol part (Acetaminophen) is very damaging to the liver and shouldn't be taken if you're not in any pain.

You can buy a 100 ct bottle of generic Diphenhydramine at Walmart for less than $4.00, which is much less expensive than Tylenol PM as well.

LoveSoCal06
04-11-10, 04:57 AM
wow thats awsome i didnt even think about that and your very right about the tylenol part! thanks a lot!

Nikka
04-11-10, 06:11 AM
Hi Katie,

I'm also prescribed Xanax 1mg, but not for sleeping. My doctor has told me they are very addictive, but nevertheless he has prescribed them to me for 6 years now, I always have them on hand because I get panic attacks and am agoraphobic, although I rarely need them these days.

Although it is a benzodiazepine, in Australia Xanax is used to treat Panic Attacks, Panic Disorders & Anxiety Disorders - to my knowledge it's not prescribed as a sleeping pill - although some doctors may probably do. It's also been used to treat some stress related illnesses like irritable bowel syndrome.

Xanax does have a sedative effect, and is also a muscle relaxant, they do really help with panic attacks, but I wouldn't use them as sleeping tablets!

I get a tea from the health food shop called 'Sleepy Tea' it's got chamomile and some other herby ingredients, 2 or 3 cups of it and I can't keep my eyes open!

Also I'm not in the medical profession - just repeating info my Dr has told me :)

LoveSoCal06
04-11-10, 03:35 PM
thanks nikka i didnt add that i had also taken the xanax before i was put on the adderall because of stress and frustration panic attacks and i was getting overwhelmed really fast everyday. he put me on the xanax for about 6 months then i started feeling a little better but it still made me pretty tired so i asked to go off of it and after doing some research about adhd and since my mom also has it i thought i would tell him to send me to see if that was more of my problem. it turned out that was all of my problem after i started my adhd meds i got off my prozac and xanax and had a crap load of xanax left over(i had no prob stoping by way no side effects)so nights i cant go to bed my dr said i could try a xanax but i would rather not because it makes me sleep to hard and feel tired the next day even after my adderall in the morning. thats why i wanted to know if i could take tylenol pm just because that has worked for restfull sleep but i wasnt sure if you can take it with adderall. and siince im still figuring out my dose for adderall and when i need it and what works im on a weird scedual with ups and downs. i really need it to be working all day and evening but still want to sleep. i cant take the xr because it made me feel like crap should i try a diff adhd med? and if so what should i tell my dr to try me on?

TygerSan
04-13-10, 05:56 PM
I was going to also suggest benadryl over Tylenol PM (less harsh on the liver), but also wanted to caution that it doesn't work as a sedative for everyone. . . It actually makes my mind race. Good luck!

Addr68
04-14-10, 06:01 AM
I use to use Benadryl all the time for sleep...Then my old psychiatrist mentioned to me, taking benadryl for a long time can affect the memory..

*I have no evidence other than what this professional shared with me.

yankees440
06-17-10, 01:16 AM
I use to use Benadryl all the time for sleep...Then my old psychiatrist mentioned to me, taking benadryl for a long time can affect the memory..

*I have no evidence other than what this professional shared with me.

As far as I know and research, I have never come across a study that showed long time benedryl usage affected memory. Though, in the future it may well be proven that it can affect memory?/!