View Full Version : Concerta weight loss? Question...

JAC1968
04-11-10, 10:24 PM
My 7 year old has been on 27 mg Concerta for about 2 1/2 months. He was 57 lbs prior to starting. He currently weighs 51.

We try to feed him large breakfasts and late dinners. He rarely will eat anything once the med kicks in until after it wears off. Sometimes I can get him to eat ice cream etc. Anything to get calories in...

Also, the 27mg seems to make him a bit of a "zombie". He certainly can lock in at school and his day dreaminess is no longer an issue. Curious to see if anyone has any positive experience about going to a lower dose (18mg).

Thanks,

JC

MuscleMama
04-12-10, 08:03 AM
My (almost) 9 y/o takes just 18mg and it has worked out well. SOmetimes when he's been very overactive or if he has a big day (like MCAS last month) he has two pills (36mg), but usually just the 18 is fine. He's never been a zombie in his life ;)

Lady Lark
04-13-10, 11:51 AM
If you're getting a zombie effect, it's very likely that it's either too high a dose, or not the right medication for him. If things are working as they should, there isn't a zombie effect. I'd suggest talking to the doc about lowering the dosage and see how that goes.