View Full Version : Would you call and tell ADD Coach?

Tisha
04-12-10, 10:44 AM
My 16 year old son started seeing an ADD Coach a month ago. He lacks internal motivation for any long-term type studying and preparing. She's a wonderful lady, and has an ADHD 29 yr. old son herself. He didn't want to go at first, but I told him just one visit. They meet at a coffee house, so it won't seem so much like a doctor visit. He really liked her because she "understands" him and knows how he ticks.

Last visit she said she wants him to sit down with us on Sunday mornings and go over what all is expected the coming week for school. To start doing this as a habit, to become responsible, etc. He seemed agreeable, and I think he THINKS he will do it come Sunday.

Well, I mentioned it to him yesterday morning and he practically sneered at me. I didn't mention it to him again and it never happened. One of the reasons we got a Coach is because of the battling between us. The psychologist said to let the Coach do her job.

Well, today is their next meeting. Do you think that I should call the ADD Coach and let her in on what did NOT take place, so she can be better prepared for him (to ask him questions, etc), rather than to go in blindly. Or should I just back off completely, and let it unfold naturally between them.

This is all quite expensive, and I want for them to get the most out of their meetings...but I know there needs to be a level of trust established between the both of them.

I think I just answered my own question, LOL!

But I'd like to hear your opinions.

Tisha

Tara
04-12-10, 11:56 AM
It's VERY important that the ADHD Coach knows the full story. She won't be able to help your son unless she know what's going. Have you thought about doing parent coaching too?

meridian
04-12-10, 12:01 PM
I also think you can ask the coach what she thinks.

MuscleMama
04-12-10, 12:12 PM
I also think you can ask the coach what she thinks.

I agree. Ask the coach if she wants you to give her updates or if she wants to hear just from your son. Do you think he would lie to her or will she find out from him directly as soon as they start talking?

Tisha
04-12-10, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I took your advice to heart and called her. She was very appreciative and said that this type of info helps her know how to approach him, what to say and even adjust how she will help him. I told her I didn't want to do anything that would make him not trust her, and would only get in contact with her if I think it would help.

Anyway, I feel better about it. Thanks again...

Tara
04-12-10, 06:04 PM
Usually something like this is in the agreement before you hire an ADHD Coach. Did she discuss communication with you beforehand or was is in a written agreement?