View Full Version : How to help my son take his meds?

bunkie68
04-13-10, 02:43 PM
And a related question - are there meds that come in forms other than pills/capsules, such as liquid or patch?

My son took Vyvanse last year for a bit (until the positive effects decreased and some negative ones started showing up, so we didn't want to just increase the dose), and we could dissolve it in liquid, as it was a powder inside the capsule. We're now going to start Focalin XR if I can find a way to get him to take it. It's granular, so won't dissolve in a liquid (which makes sense if it's designed to be extended-release), and my son flat out will not take a pill. He won't even try to swallow one. I've considered mixing the Focalin in with applesauce in the mornings, but I leave very early for work, so 1) there's no guarantee that I'll have him up and moving before I have to leave, and 2) there's no guarantee that he'll want to eat anything at all that early if he is up.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Our pediatrician has been the one working with us on meds thus far, but the psychologist who did our evaluation recommended we see a child psychiatrist for medication help if need be, so that's a distinct possibility.

O'Doyle
04-13-10, 03:17 PM
next trip to the doc, consider asking about Daytrana. It's almost the exact same med as the Focalin—and it's a transdermal patch. Medicates all day, without having to deal with pilling your kid like a cat :D

Focalin=dexmethylphenidate
Daytrana=methylphenidate

Focalin is *slightly* more powerful than MPH per mg, but that's only when given orally. Transdermal delivery of MPH is wicked powerful, has good sustained duration, and shouldn't cost much more (since both are name-brands).

My $.02, anyway.

~OD

bunkie68
04-13-10, 03:21 PM
O'Doyle, thank you - that's very good to know! Our pediatrician had mentioned a patch, but not by name - she said she doesn't recommend it very much as it really degrades the skin. Do you know if that applies to Daytrana? If not, no big, I'll just call her and ask.

Medicates all day, without having to deal with pilling your kid like a cat :D

OK, that made me laugh out loud. I think I'd told someone that I can't very well roll the pill up in peanut butter and force it down my kid's throat like you might with a dog. LOL Great minds think alike!

ADHDTigger
04-13-10, 03:33 PM
Any transdermal patch *can* degrade the skin. When it is removed, wash the area with warm water, dry, and apply a skin lotion like Gold Bond. The next morning put the patch on a different area.

The lotion should keep his skin from getting too dried out. The rubbing will encourage circulation to keep the skin healthy.

O'Doyle
04-13-10, 03:34 PM
O'Doyle, thank you - that's very good to know! Our pediatrician had mentioned a patch, but not by name - she said she doesn't recommend it very much as it really degrades the skin. Do you know if that applies to Daytrana? If not, no big, I'll just call her and ask.

There's only one transdermal patch for ADHD, so I imagine she must be talking about Daytrana. I haven't heard anything about it "really degrading the skin" or anything, but the transdermal delivery system itself can be irritating, MPH drug notwithstanding.

I used the nicotine xdermal patches to quit smoking years ago, and yes—if you ALWAYS put the patch in the same exact place, it can get itchy & irritated (kinda like wet excema). The good news is that we have a LOT of skin. Rotate locations & your kid should be fine :P

If it blistered & irritated everybody, they wouldn't sell the stupid thing. :D

~OD

MuscleMama
04-13-10, 03:34 PM
If you search around I know there have been a few threads about this. Someone mentioned starting them with mini M&M's. Some say chocolate pudding does the trick. I've heard good things about the Daytrana patch.

O'Doyle
04-13-10, 03:36 PM
If it itches & he's tempted to remove it, put it somewhere on his back he can't scratch, lol. Outsmarting your kids is the best part of parenting :D

Lady Lark
04-13-10, 08:57 PM
Trying to get the hang of swallowing pills with tic tacks works well to, since they are even pill shaped, and smaller then most M&Ms. Plus, there's not of the psychological effects associated with it cause it's not really a pill.

Also, talk to the pharmacist, cause they know a ton of tricks. Some meds can be opened and sprinkled on pudding, applesauce, etc, but some can't so it's always a good idea to check.

OnlyMe
04-13-10, 11:55 PM
My littlest is five, and very competitive, so every morning we have a pill race. He takes his teeny tiny little ritalin pill (5 mg), and I take my vitamin D and other supplements. Naturally he wins the race, but I'm happy he's got his medicine in him.

I've also taken some granular pills and sprinkled them inside oreos then put them back together, but that was for bedtime melatonin, not sure if you want to feed him cookies first thing in the morning.

JenSMP
05-18-10, 09:22 PM
We did the tic-tac trick, and our ds6 was still scared to death. The funny thing was once he did it the first time, he was hooked. He was swallowing tic-tacs all the time just to prove to himself he could do it! Then he wanted to show us all the time. It was like he'd climbed a mountain or something! I think we bribed him to get him to do it the first time.

My husband and he also did the pill swallowing races with the tic-tacs, and he was hooked on that for about a week as well. Once they do it once or twice the fear is gone.

I also bought this stuff on the internet called Spray-n-Swallow. You spray it on the pill, and it makes it taste better and makes it really slippery so it just slides right down.

That said, we are about to try the Daytrana patch because we are having trouble with finding the right dose of Concerta. We will start in four days, so I'll let you know how our weekend goes on the Daytrana.

Good luck, and keep trying. I was shocked at how quickly my son learned to swallow pills, and he's scared of EVERYTHING! Major over-reactor! HTH

PunkNae
06-15-10, 11:01 PM
My 4 yo ds takes asthma meds. I told him to swallow it like he swallows gum. He puts it in his mouth, swallows, then takes a drink. The one time swallowing gum was a good thing!

Rebelyell
06-15-10, 11:38 PM
I know all about this pill thing,when i was 9-10 an put on meds I didnt know how to swallow,so I had to chew em,very bitter an nasty tasting.My parent suse to chas eme around the house,put it in applesauce an try to force feed me a few times,I hated meds they made me skinny,whiny cry easily,I was an easy target for bullies at school and it eventually made me get full blow tourettes.the patch sounds like the best way to go.

Treys_mom
06-16-10, 04:37 PM
And a related question - are there meds that come in forms other than pills/capsules, such as liquid or patch?

My son took Vyvanse last year for a bit (until the positive effects decreased and some negative ones started showing up, so we didn't want to just increase the dose), and we could dissolve it in liquid, as it was a powder inside the capsule. We're now going to start Focalin XR if I can find a way to get him to take it. It's granular, so won't dissolve in a liquid (which makes sense if it's designed to be extended-release), and my son flat out will not take a pill. He won't even try to swallow one. I've considered mixing the Focalin in with applesauce in the mornings, but I leave very early for work, so 1) there's no guarantee that I'll have him up and moving before I have to leave, and 2) there's no guarantee that he'll want to eat anything at all that early if he is up.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Our pediatrician has been the one working with us on meds thus far, but the psychologist who did our evaluation recommended we see a child psychiatrist for medication help if need be, so that's a distinct possibility.

Have you tried maybe in a glass of milk?

bunkie68
08-11-10, 04:47 PM
Came across my old thread and thought I'd update. My son swallows his pill in a spoonful of applesauce. It took him a few tries the first time, but he kept at it (surprising, as he's usually so easily frustrated that he gives up at something he can't do the first time) until the pill went down, and now it's easy peasy. :)

Rampage
08-11-10, 06:28 PM
I tell my six year old that SPRITE makes

the pill slippery and easier to go down.

I don't always give him sprite, because it's a pain

to keep it in stock, since i don't drink it.

plus, it's soda and not healthy.

but, i figure it's "healthier" to let him have a swig

of sprite and take his meds then to not to.

OnlyMe
08-11-10, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the update, I always wonder about the ends of unfinished stories. :)