tudorose
04-14-10, 08:05 PM
I know that West Aussies are called Sandgropers

SA are called Crow Eaters

QLD are called Banana Benders

What are NSW, VIC, TAS and NT called?

danelady
04-14-10, 08:25 PM
Holy Cow!! I see you're an Aussie. I think if we call people 'names' from certain states here in the US it might not be politically correct and might just po some people! (even though lots of people do it!:D)

I think we can call the sports teams from different states by the name of whatever their mascot is...like corn huskers or the like.

I guess in Australia you are able to call people things and they don't get so mad about it?

tudorose
04-14-10, 09:06 PM
Holy Cow!! I see you're an Aussie. I think if we call people 'names' from certain states here in the US it might not be politically correct and might just po some people! (even though lots of people do it!:D)

I think we can call the sports teams from different states by the name of whatever their mascot is...like corn huskers or the like.

I guess in Australia you are able to call people things and they don't get so mad about it?

I see what you mean. It makes it easier to understand why the rest of the world find us offensive on occasion when you actually think about it.

I thought I'd post this coz I saw someone on here with the user name of CrowEater and then I saw they were from South Australia. We refer to ourselves as these names too. Personally I'm a Sandgroper (we have a lot of desert over in the West). Queenslanders are called Banana Benders because most of the bananas come from their tropical climate.

I have heard that Victorians are called Mexicans because they're south of the border from New South Wales but I'm not sure if this is the official nickname or just an insult.

danelady
04-14-10, 10:15 PM
Haha!! Well,because I'm Italian I can say this...I guess. But Italians are called Dagos. And cause I'm from Newark,NJ I guess I can say this too...Italians in NJ are called 'guidos'...but sometimes people get a little ****ed about these names.

I would love to visit Australia one day and look for some cool rocks!