View Full Version : just curious

leftywoody
04-17-10, 08:41 AM
I have a 9 year old grandson that has fallen behind in his classes at school . he is bright , active , kind , generous , mannerly , respectful ,shows good patience
, and a dream come true . However , in his own words he says sometimes the answers to his test questions just get stuck in his head . He , in my opinion is in no way hyper or shows any signals of a more serios mental disorder , He can think outside the box on many questions you ask him . He has many friends and is not anti- social . When it comes to school he just does'nt retain some of the lessons and therefore has low grades in some important subjects . He has started taking a med for a.d.d. and so far so good . He had a bad dream the other night about his little brother and he was concerned about him the next day . Are some meds for a.d.d .the cause or is he just becoming more aware of his surroundings ? My question I would say is , can a.d.d present itself as a form of memory, comprehension , and retention problems and not show any problems with hyper activity .

ADHDTigger
04-17-10, 05:35 PM
Someone with a positive ADHD diagnosis with no evidence of hyperactivity/impulsive behavior would be considered "Primarily Inattentive". This is one of the three DSM recognized sub-types. "Combined" and "Primarily Hyper/Impulsive" are the the other two.

You might want to look at some of the threads in the Inattentive forum here to get a sense of the differences.

The good news, potentially, is that many inattentive people do their best on very small amounts of stimulant medications.