View Full Version : Wondering if my pills are brandname?

Angelcat
04-18-10, 02:00 PM
Im reading lots about 'barr'? dexedrine and brandname GSK? My pills dont say gsk anywhere on the bottle or on the pill. I am wondering which kind they are.

Im in Canada not sure if that makes a difference. Mine are orange triangles that say SKF E19. someone had posted about orange sheild ones but called them Desoxyn, not sure if that is the same thing?

Im only on day 2, 5mg in the am and 5 mg 5 hours later. She wants me to double the dose in a few days and see how i feel. i have my next drs appt in 2 weeks. Are these ones the good ones? Just wanting some advice and eperiences with these certain pills. I heard some kinds were discontinued in the states as well, should i expect mine to be discontinued here in canada?
Thank you in advance!
Cat :)

Josh_kelly
04-18-10, 03:06 PM
http://images.ddccdn.com/images/pills/mtm/Dexedrine%205%20mg.jpg

these are differently Brand name Dexedrine tablets by GSK. Famous heart shape that we dont have the privilege to obtain in the US. Only one horrible generic.

While I was in Montreal, I got prescription for these. They are amazing. Professional quality medicine. Not high octane coffee like the generic dex we have here.

Very smooth, potent, lasts 4-6 hours for me with a "clean finish". Not severe crash, no anxiety.

They were discontinued in the US. Although they are manufactured in the Kentucky by GSK under a different pharmaceutical company owned by GSK. But only for Canada's market.

But should say Dexedrine on the bottle (maybe not GSK to insult us here:D).

my bottle has Dexedrine name on it.

No, these will not get discontinued in Canada.

this is a vintage ad from the 50s for Dexedrine. You can see the tablet (lower right side) which matches what you have now, right? how do you like it?

it even says "Smooth...happy...wellbeing...energy" in the in the ad below.

Now its taboo to have a sense of well-being and happiness while on add meds. We are immediately classified as junkies if we feel that way on add meds.

http://www.decodog.com/inven/MD/md30563.jpg
http://www.decodog.com/inven/1ptrans1.gif

Angelcat
04-19-10, 02:00 AM
yup those are def the ones i have. I have never been on any other meds before and Ive only just begun but im finding that they are defintily pretty good. smooth is a good word to describe them. Im also very calm and my thoughts are not racing as much as usual. I seem to have more focus now. Before it seemed like i had so many thoughts in my head that it felt like i was in a busy room full of talking people. Now it feels like the room is alot less empty and so i can concentrate more on what i am trying to concentrate on. Everything feels more clear. :) Im liking them. Why did they discontinue them in the states if they are so good???

Josh_kelly
04-19-10, 09:27 AM
They discontinued them for many reasons

1. extended release are 4-5 times more expensive than the instant release tablets. (dexedrine comes is extended release also:spansules). If they stop making the tablets consumer is forced to switch to the extended release to get brand quality medication.

2. liability and bad image from abusers

3. the practice of suing big pharma companies for any side effects true or not. some lawyers are specialized in extracting millions from these companies just by suing them and let the case be in the system 3-5 years. So its more cost effective for pharma to pay up and settle out of court. Plus the media attention

4. stop making the drug to increase the sales of another where they hold patent and make more profit like what shire is doing with vyvanse as appose to adderall and adderall xr.

"Court Backs Five-Year Exclusivity for Shire plc (http://www.addforums.com/forums/company_profile.aspx?CompanyId=1005967)'s ADHD Drug Vyvanse"

3/5/2010
http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?NewsEntityId=172939 (http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?NewsEntityId=172939)

5. GSK is uniting with shire to promote Vyvanse (extended release dexedrine).

Why would a company promote competitors drug while they make the same medication (dexedrine spansules) and Vyvanse are both extended release d-ampthamine.

"Shire and GlaxoSmithKline Enter Agreement to Co-promote VYVANSE(R) (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) CII for the Treatment of Adults With ADHD"
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2248396/

"Shares of Shire soar after GlaxoSmithKline agrees to co-promote its hyperactivity medicine in the U.S."
http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/31/gsk-shire-vyvanse-markets-equity-pharmaceuticals.html

Its a different legal system in Canada. Where the government has alot more control and accountability. It favors the interest of the consumer to the interest of companies. So there is alot of accountability and explaining to do when a pharmaceutical company want to change price and availability of the drug. They have to provide justification which is examined by a court in a public hearing.

for example, when that scare of adderall xr in canada. adderall xr was immediately banned and shire was under the spot light.

On the other hand, when Barr pharma here in the US, discovered that some batches of their adderall is twice as potent as the actual dose. They called for voluntary recall (posted on FDA website) and notified pharmacies to call people who might purchased these patches.
FDA was no where to be found.

I am assuming also in canada the government is paying most of the bill if not all for these meds?

Angelcat
04-19-10, 10:13 AM
Not sure on the regular price for them. I was prescribed 30 and a 30 refill, and it was $29. I am covered under my husbands medical for 80% so it wasn't very much for me. Not sure if government covered any cost before the $29 though. Is that the regular price for these types of medication?

KingMidas
04-29-10, 08:36 AM
Not sure on the regular price for them. I was prescribed 30 and a 30 refill, and it was $29. I am covered under my husbands medical for 80% so it wasn't very much for me. Not sure if government covered any cost before the $29 though. Is that the regular price for these types of medication?
same boat as you, I was prescribed the shields and 10mg spansules, the shields were $27, according to the details on the recipt my fiancees medical paid 80% and none by the govt.

stuart
05-11-10, 05:52 AM
I think this forum in general needs to stop concentrating so much on implanting preconceived ideas about different medication types and brands, and instead encourage people to form their own unbiased opinions from their independent experience.

I worry that people may be discouraged away from options that may have worked out well, only because of mental barriers formed ahead of time that may cause them to skip a possibility completely or cause them to make a biased judgment once they do give something a shot.

The biggest culprit in the case of this particular sub-forum is the anti-Barr bandwagon. I respect that some of you may not like it, but it does work for others. I fear the bandwagon hatred that piles up in replies whenever that generic is brought up might be doing more harm than good when it comes to helping others help themselves.

That's just my opinion.

Josh_kelly
05-11-10, 08:42 AM
i disagree

people have questions that they cant answer for themselves

saves time, money, and frustration for some to share their experience saving others the trouble of going thru the same cycle.

assume that one company is good. you will have more people saying its good than not. barr was a good company until bought by teva. search the news of teva reputation and quality of their meds and you would find many. after teva bought barr. adderall formula for barr generic and brand changed. people (including me had problems). maybe you didnt so be it.

they have surveys and statistics in the news everyday.

imagine seeing a doctor. he prescribes you a medication
and it does not work. you are stuck with it for a whole month. one month of uncontrolled adhd make a big difference in ones life and well being.

go to amazon.com. why they have reviews of different products from actual consumers. all products have good and bad reviews or ratings. but usually if you have more good reviews this product should be the best based on users opinions. overall, the best drug (product) wins.

if you are talking about placebo effect. it does not come from actual users i dont think.

it comes from marketing. and people paid from the company to give the product good rep when it sucks.
people on tv, nice packaging, style, and even high price makes a product more attractive to people without them even realizing. but i think overall the best product wins in the long run.

Angelcat
05-12-10, 12:47 AM
and it does not work. you are stuck with it for a whole month. one month of uncontrolled adhd make a big difference in ones life and well being.

i sooooooo agree. i didnt take my meds over the weekend and am still suffering emotionally cause of it. it was a horrible weekend. :( my self esteem took a big hit and still isnt back where it usually is.... probably will be awhile longer till i feel better about me. i just felt like the dumbest person in the world, like it was plastered on my forehead. and i was so off that i could see it and had no control to stop it.

it never made a difference till i found out, was diagnosed and put on meds. Now that ive been on meds, and i know how good i can feel, how normal (smart!! lol) i can be, and i can see that at this moment, if i were prescribed something that didnt work, that i was stuck with, it would just be brutal. Just two days med-free and im feeling :(:confused::eek:, and know now that im not up for that again for awhile.

We need people to share their experiences so that we dont all have live through the hard ones. So that we can learn from each other and help each other. Cause not everyone is up for finding out the hard way...

stuart
05-12-10, 04:05 AM
i disagree

people have questions that they cant answer for themselves

saves time, money, and frustration for some to share their experience saving others the trouble of going thru the same cycle.

assume that one company is good. you will have more people saying its good than not. barr was a good company until bought by teva. search the news of teva reputation and quality of their meds and you would find many. after teva bought barr. adderall formula for barr generic and brand changed. people (including me had problems). maybe you didnt so be it.

they have surveys and statistics in the news everyday.

I'd love to see those daily surveys and statistics, where can I find them?

Many doctors are willing and capable of writing prescriptions for a week's worth of medication. If someone has been in a fog their whole life and is just now seeking help, rushing the medication trials to get things settled in as quickly as possible is reckless when the risk is passing by a drug that could potentially be the most helpful.

go to amazon.com. why they have reviews of different products from actual consumers. all products have good and bad reviews or ratings. but usually if you have more good reviews this product should be the best based on users opinions. overall, the best drug (product) wins.

There's a difference between people rating the quality of some plastic toy or a book, and the outcome of an infinitely complex physiological reaction in a specific individual of a specific medication. Both are subjective, but compared to molecules working their way through personalized pathways, rating entertainment content is a walk in the park. Given a large as possible sampling pool, some sort of rule of thumb aid could maybe be established, but this forum is a relative drop in the ocean compared to the numbers necessary to form a vaguely reliable rating system for very specific differing versions of prescriptions.

if you are talking about placebo effect. it does not come from actual users i dont think.

it comes from marketing. and people paid from the company to give the product good rep when it sucks.
people on tv, nice packaging, style, and even high price makes a product more attractive to people without them even realizing. but i think overall the best product wins in the long run.

The placebo effect is independent from any specific source of external influence. Preconceived expectations can be formed from drug company marketing just as they are formed from people's opinions here. This is the role double-blind studies play. In a sense, it is similar to spoiling the ending of a movie for someone who hasn't seen it. They will go into the viewing and will be watching it through the lenses of what they already know, which destroys what may have otherwise ended in forming an independent judgment.

I just see that as being the same problem here. I know people just want to be helpful, but I think that even one person passing up a medication that could have been their magic bullet (even if they are the sole person on the planet who benefits from it) is a shame. There's a difference between gentle advice and the militant attitude that often pops up here. This forum should have the goal of helping guide people towards hope, instead of an attitude that is more of an authoritative "we know what's best" tone.

Just my scattered thoughts. :o

Angelcat
05-12-10, 10:43 AM
Just my opinion here but since coming here, I havent seen any advice i would call militant.... People have been generally helpful and non pushy.

i do see people offering advice and experiences and trying to help others by sharing, as people always tend to do :) i see people posting questions, WANTing the advice and experiences, wanting to be heard, to be answered so that they can learn more about the drugs they might be taking and the experiences that they may or may not have, and what others have gone thorugh on the medications. I see people not wanting to form singularily independant judgments, otherwise they would not be posting looking for answers and experiences. Personally I use this forum often because I want to know more about this medication, specifically from other people who are on it.

i also know that people have something in their power.
It is called choice. They can choose whether or not to take someones advice or try something for themsevles. I have seen posts where barr works better for people and i understand that different things work for different people and it takes trying to know. People have the choice to read something and take from it what they will....

sorry i just know my own experience is to come here for these reasons that you don't seem to like, that i would be lost without. :(
How else can I learn about this medciation?
Being on medication, for me, is scary, even if it is supposed to help me. I NEEd other people to tell me their thoughts. Not saying I follow each one, but I WANT to hear everything about their experiences etc etc.
That is one of the only reasons i use the dexedrine forum.:rolleyes: