View Full Version : Does anyone else reverse their letters when writing?

birdchica
04-18-10, 04:47 PM
I noticed that i reverse my b's and d's when writing. Sometimes I have to trace the letters before I actually write them to make sure I'm writing the right letter. I have never read them wrong, just written them wrong. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this ADD or a sign of a learning disability that I never thought about?

meridian
04-18-10, 06:08 PM
Yeah, it is dyslexia and quite normal in children under the age of 8.

Obviously you've been doing OK in spite of it, so I wouldn't be very concerned. Sometimes I forget which is the hot and cold tap!

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/reversing-letters.shtml

Where do I see you bird pictures? I'm a photog too. :)

AirJordanV
04-18-10, 06:39 PM
I don't reverse anything but do sometimes miss them out ie: I write a letter,miss one out(but leave a space?!),write the next letter and then go back and fill it in

Quite bizarre and MUCH more common if I'm in any kind of hurry.

(I might add that this only happens with handwriting. My TYPING well, that's so all over the place that it takes no pattern at all)

Addr68
04-18-10, 06:51 PM
I will type out th eword 'just' as jsut'

And did you notice above, I seem to drop the letter 'e' off onto the next word.

It might be LD or even part of being impulsive. i.e hitting keys to fast?

I remember my cogintive test..when they had me hit the spacebar any time a letter flashed on the screen..but I was instructed not to hit the spacebar when the letter 'X' flashed..

This part of the test was for impulsivity. (if I remember right)

I hope this helps.

Bry

after thought note:

After re-reading your OP..I think what meridain posted is right on to what is happening with you.
My post was impulsive.. :p didnt stop to read your OP correctly. my bad *going home now* lol

I'm hitting the keys to fast :p

birdchica
04-18-10, 07:18 PM
I don't really have as much of a problem when I'm typing. I can miss letters or type them wrong but I think it's because I type fast. Thanks for the insight Meridian. I've had people mention that to me before, but I thought " Are you sure, I don't read backwards?" I guess I just wasn't as educated about it. Oh and btw, my handwriting is terrible and always has been. I had to use a pencil grip when I was in elementary school. Does that have anything to do with it.

AirJordanV
04-18-10, 07:27 PM
I always assumed that my problem with skipping letters was just my hand trying to keep up with my brain.

birdchica
04-18-10, 07:28 PM
Yeah, it is dyslexia and quite normal in children under the age of 8.

Obviously you've been doing OK in spite of it, so I wouldn't be very concerned. Sometimes I forget which is the hot and cold tap!

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/reversing-letters.shtml

Where do I see you bird pictures? I'm a photog too. :)

All you have to do is view my profile and look under albums. Oh and another question. If a pic file is too big and the upload fails, is there any way to compress the file without photoshop? I have some really nice pics that I wanted to upload but the upload failed and I'm guessing it's because the file was too big. I used to have photoshop elements but I got a virus on my computer that corrupted the program and haven't been able to re-install it. :(

Addr68
04-18-10, 08:05 PM
All you have to do is view my profile and look under albums. Oh and another question. If a pic file is too big and the upload fails, is there any way to compress the file without photoshop? I have some really nice pics that I wanted to upload but the upload failed and I'm guessing it's because the file was too big. I used to have photoshop elements but I got a virus on my computer that corrupted the program and haven't been able to re-install it. :(

mod note: The question asked in the quote above, is a good subject for the ADD Tech Corner. ;)

Rather than on this Thread and in this sub forum :)

Thank you

Amtram
04-18-10, 09:19 PM
Download Picasa. It's free, and you should be able to change the file to make it smaller.

I don't reverse letters, but I reverse tails of letters up and down. p becomes b, q becomes d, and vice versa. Not that anyone notices, since my handwriting is essentially illegible!

meridian
04-18-10, 10:16 PM
I will type out th eword 'just' as jsut'

And did you notice above, I seem to drop the letter 'e' off onto the next word.

It might be LD or even part of being impulsive. i.e hitting keys to fast?

I type like tbhat all the wtinme, here's what my typing looks like with minimalr correbtions. That;st why I go back all the time to edit.,:)

mhyper790
04-18-10, 11:00 PM
I noticed that i reverse my b's and d's when writing. Sometimes I have to trace the letters before I actually write them to make sure I'm writing the right letter. I have never read them wrong, just written them wrong. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this ADD or a sign of a learning disability that I never thought about?

In responding to your thread Title: No But Sometimes I reverse my numbers, does that count? (6, 9 and 3's ughh)

fracturedstory
04-18-10, 11:44 PM
I use to reverse my b's and d's when I was a child.
I don't do that so much but confuse my numbers, write words with the letters becakwards or jumpbled, miss out words or put in a word without even noticing it.

^I delibrately left in the spelling mistakes. I usually use Safari spellcheck.

It's a dyslexia symptom common in ADHD.

tinkerbell84
04-19-10, 12:41 AM
My old roommate was dyslexic and he did that. But he also had trouble with reading and writing in general. If that's your only problem with writing, I wouldn't be worried, but if you have other issues, it might be worth looking into because my old roommate got special accomodations for his dyslexia such as extra time to complete exams etc.

ADHDTigger
04-19-10, 01:11 AM
Bird, hon, this sounds like dysgraphia to me. I don't write. I draw. I can send you some links on this.

Dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and dyslexia are the most common LDs with ADHD. I think you just need some brain shift to be successful... and to know what you are up against.

PM me for writing links, hon.

sarek
04-19-10, 03:21 AM
I used to spell quite well up to my late thirties but have found I am becoming sloppier. Maybe its nothing more than a consequence of the fast internet culture.

But I hate it that such things make me look so dumb.

Krys.
04-19-10, 07:03 AM
Are b & d the only letters you reverse? Any trouble reading, spelling, or writing otherwise?

ginniebean
04-21-10, 02:49 PM
yep, numbers too

mildadhd
04-21-10, 03:17 PM
Letters p and q.
Letters d and b
And the concept of automatic and standard in cars.
No other problems except focus.
FH

Krys.
04-21-10, 03:34 PM
Dyslexia was mentioned earlier in this thread. That doesn't seem dyslexic to me. While there are varying degrees of it, I don't think that 2 letter sets would qualify (I could be wrong though) Children without dyslexia often reverse those letters because they look so similar. Could be that for some reason, those particular ones just never clicked in your head. Just my 2 cents.

mildadhd
04-21-10, 04:12 PM
Dyslexia was mentioned earlier in this thread. That doesn't seem dyslexic to me. While there are varying degrees of it, I don't think that 2 letter sets would qualify (I could be wrong though) Children without dyslexia often reverse those letters because they look so similar. Could be that for some reason, those particular ones just never clicked in your head. Just my 2 cents.

I need to write them both out to get them right. Almost everytime. Looking at one word only and I am not sure.
Although I don't seem to do it on the computer????
I really have no idea.
Now I need to look up dyslexia,
Wonder what causes dyslexia?
FH

krb388
04-21-10, 08:32 PM

I do that and I constantly have to remember which direction I am going N/E/S/W? And I have trouble distinguishing my left hand from my right hand. I always have to pretend im writing in the air to remember which is which??? I have no idea what causes this but I do know that I never mentioned it to my doctor or anyone really so I wouldn't know..

krb388
04-21-10, 09:03 PM
[quote=birdchica;868196] trace the letters before I actually write them to make sure I'm writing the right letter. /quote]

After looking up the dyslexia it says reversing letters. I think it means literally writing the letter backwards. What I do is mix up the letters b and d while writing them only. I think it might be an related to ADD because its probably memory thing. add = not the best memory

fracturedstory
05-01-10, 06:45 AM
Bird, hon, this sounds like dysgraphia to me. I don't write. I draw. I can send you some links on this.

Dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and dyslexia are the most common LDs with ADHD. I think you just need some brain shift to be successful... and to know what you are up against.

PM me for writing links, hon.
I thought dysgraphia was messy writing and unable to space letters correctly?
I knew a boy in school who couldn't space his words at all. I do the opposite - leave really huge gaps between words.
I have dyscalculia. I'm awful at math, just awful.

After looking up the dyslexia it says reversing letters. I think it means literally writing the letter backwards. What I do is mix up the letters b and d while writing them only. I think it might be an related to ADD because its probably memory thing. add = not the best memory
It can mean both ways. I used to research dyslexia obsessively when I thought I had it.
You can also mix numbers up.
One dyslexia symptom I have that is really strong is when I hear or read a word I don't know the meaning of it's hard to pronounce and I just get stuck on it and confused. My vocabulary isn't very wide. Still, my dyslexia is only mild.

peripatetic
05-01-10, 08:05 AM
hi birdchica,

i was diagnosed with dyslexia when i first started primary school. it has been speculated, that is to say written on an evaluation by a psychologist (though not necessarily *confirmed* true), that breaking my arm and being forced to write with my 'off' hand contributes to it. i don't know if that's accurate or not...but i doubt that's the whole story since i've known other dyslexics who never switched hands.

i transpose letters frequently (put them in the wrong order), but i wouldn't say i necessarily write the individual letters backwards. i also transpose entire words within sentences, but less frequently (i think). i started learning to type around the same age (first on a typewriter and then using a word processor). it's been an enormous help to me (different spelling/grammar check software has also been invaluable).

i avoid handwriting as much as possible, but when i must it's a complete mess and i try to remember what i might have been thinking to figure it out. now that elementary school, with the tyrannical teachers demanding i write lines on the blackboard, is long past, my handwriting is very rarely seen by others.

my reading ease depends a lot upon the style of font. for example, with the one i'm using now, the 'a' and 'e' are basically indistinguishable; i rely on keyboard placement and finger used in lieu of the way it looks. other fonts present 'a' versus 'o' problems and you might have noticed that i never use capital letters (in spite of doing a considerable amount of writing in my profession--i employ an editor largely for all those reasons). i'm at a complete loss for reading any frilly/old world-style script and i can't decipher cursive handwriting worth a crap. in general, i tend to skim the sentence and identify the less ambiguous words, and then use context to fill in troublesome ones if i don't think i've gotten the overall point.

Werl
05-25-10, 01:59 AM
'b' and 'd' 'p' and 'q' 'P' and 9.

I don't do it as muchas I used to.

Arwen
05-25-10, 02:56 AM
Yea, it's embarassing. Numbers and letters. Not as much as before.