View Full Version : My tics are better!!

CrazyLazyGal
04-18-10, 07:08 PM
A few months ago, my doctor put me on a medication called Mirapex, 0.25mg once a day. It's normally used to treat restless legs syndrome. I'm thrilled to report that my tics (mainly facial) are so much better. I still have them a little, but they don't impair my life like they used to.

I'm trying to avoid getting too excited because there are periods when my tics are better anyway before they get bad again, and this may all be a coincidence, but I wanted to share this success story!

ZiggyFry
07-31-10, 07:26 PM
I hate to see no responses on this post for so long

Congratulations!

Sin.Ziggy.

mADD mike
07-31-10, 11:08 PM
I hate to see no responses on this post for so long

Congratulations!

Sin.Ziggy.

I agree. You shouldn't have to celebrate alone. That is awesome! I hope things are still going well for your tics.

CrazyLazyGal
08-06-10, 07:31 PM
Thank you! My tics are still under control, I'm happy to say. My sniffing/snorting tic came back a little, so the doctor bumped me up to .5mg, still an extremely low dose, but the other tics are all manageable. I'm even back to wearing my glasses comfortably. I used to twitch off my glasses all the time and had to push them back on my nose several times a minute when the tic was at its worse. In case you're wondering why I didn't wear contacts at the time, the answer is that my blinking tic made my contacts fall out, and it's easier to push your glasses back on than to re-insert your contacts all the time. :)

mADD mike
08-07-10, 08:58 PM
Thank you! My tics are still under control, I'm happy to say. My sniffing/snorting tic came back a little, so the doctor bumped me up to .5mg, still an extremely low dose, but the other tics are all manageable. I'm even back to wearing my glasses comfortably. I used to twitch off my glasses all the time and had to push them back on my nose several times a minute when the tic was at its worse. In case you're wondering why I didn't wear contacts at the time, the answer is that my blinking tic made my contacts fall out, and it's easier to push your glasses back on than to re-insert your contacts all the time. :)

Cool, glad to hear it. Ugh, I'm one that wears glasses but they drive me up a wall somedays. Especially when they're new. Eventually I can get used to them, but when they are new I'm constantly having tics to do with them. I would love contacts, but my eyelashes are a mess and often grow literally straight down, so I could never get them in. I would imagine that with my blinking issues, I too would be losing contacts even if I could get them in. Oh well. Never thought about that.

Anyway, enjoy your nearly tic-free life!

ZiggyFry
08-07-10, 11:16 PM
I've been playing with the idea of getting diagnosed and medicated.

How are the side effects? I've heard that tourettes meds can have some pretty unpleasant side effects, but those were mostly anti-psychotics.

Sin.Ziggy.

Rebelyell
08-08-10, 01:21 AM
I'm so glad your meds are helping your tics and there subsiding.Soda pop and cake for every 1:D jk

CrazyLazyGal
08-11-10, 06:26 AM
I've been playing with the idea of getting diagnosed and medicated.

How are the side effects? I've heard that tourettes meds can have some pretty unpleasant side effects, but those were mostly anti-psychotics.

Sin.Ziggy.I have had absolutely no side effects with Mirapex, but everyone is different, obviously. I also tried Ropinirole, which worked for tics but caused a bad headache, and also Abilify, which didn't work and made me sleepy all the time. Abilify is an anti-psychotic, but I was on a way lower dose than is used for people with psychosis symptoms (2mg for me vs. over 30mg for patients with psychosis symptoms). Of course, everyone is different.

Abilify is really expensive while Ropinirole and Mirapex are both generic and thus affordable.

indolering
10-16-10, 11:34 PM
How are you doing CrazyLazyGal (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=39242)? I am going to talk to my doctor about Miraprex soon because of this post. : )

Actually sitting near a beautiful, smart, loving girl that I just met up with. Hoping I can get on this before she hears one of my verbal ticks : / But even so, she is really understanding!

CrazyLazyGal
11-30-10, 10:03 PM
How are you doing CrazyLazyGal (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=39242)? I am going to talk to my doctor about Miraprex soon because of this post. : )

Actually sitting near a beautiful, smart, loving girl that I just met up with. Hoping I can get on this before she hears one of my verbal ticks : / But even so, she is really understanding!Sorry, I didn't see this post until just now. I'm still doing great on Mirapex! I love being able to wear glasses without twitching them off. My doctor thinks I may be ready to go back down to 0.25mg because allergy season is over.