View Full Version : ADD/ADHD and Sleep Disorders

Joscelin
04-21-10, 07:45 PM
I know there is another thread going on about sleep apnea, but I have another issue and I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it.

I DO have sleep apnea (Diagnosed in 1996) I faithfully use my CPAP and just recently had a sleep study to make sure my levels were set properly. I get about 7 hours of sleep a night. I know I'm hitting REM sleep, because I dream.. something I don't do when my CPAP isn't properly calibrated.

I am having a problem with EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness) despite all of this. I have been reading quite a bit about ADD and I understand that sometimes stimulants, like coffee, will have the opposite effect on some people with ADD/ADHD. I have most recently cut back on my coffee intake to see if this helps.

I tend to doze at my desk within the first couple of hours of starting the workday.

My blood sugar and thyroid have also recently been checked- and ruled out as possible culprits.

I'm seeing my therapist this evening and we are going to talk about this, and I'm going to see how she feels about trialing medication that might help me work through these sleepy times.

Any info you all can share about your experiences, and/or general thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

~Julie

PS: I DO take 40mg of Celexa at night before bed, as depression is one of my comorbidities.
PPS: I am newly diagonsed with ADD.

mhyper790
04-21-10, 11:05 PM
Very interesting thread. I think I might have some form of Hypnagogia. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Joscelin
04-21-10, 11:15 PM
Very interesting thread. I think I might have some form of Hypnagogia. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Hypnagogia is also associated with narcolepsy, which may account for my sleepiness. Have you ever had a sleep study?

mhyper790
04-22-10, 07:25 PM
Hypnagogia is also associated with narcolepsy, which may account for my sleepiness. Have you ever had a sleep study?

No, I am just now wondering about it. I don't really feel sleepy during the day. Its just sometimes I will be in a conscious state and my body will paralyzed I try to open my Eye lids but I can't. I see images and hear noises just like it describes in the Link I posted.

Does not happen all the time, actually rarely.

Saalyg
04-22-10, 08:09 PM
I have extreme insomnia and a nocturnal sleep pattern. I very frequently go a full 24 or 48 hours without sleep. I don't have a regular sleep pattern at all, but most often I fall asleep around sunrise and wake up mid-afternoon. Lately I've been doing better, but I ended up sleeping through my classes today and they're from 2pm-10pm....I woke up at 5:00 and I would've been way too late for it to be worth the effort.

Joscelin
04-22-10, 11:04 PM
I have extreme insomnia and a nocturnal sleep pattern. I very frequently go a full 24 or 48 hours without sleep. I don't have a regular sleep pattern at all, but most often I fall asleep around sunrise and wake up mid-afternoon. Lately I've been doing better, but I ended up sleeping through my classes today and they're from 2pm-10pm....I woke up at 5:00 and I would've been way too late for it to be worth the effort.

Wow that's gotta be tough on your body. I'm 43 and I certainly can't do without about 6 hours of sleep minimum anymore.. but I remember the days when an all nighter didn't drag me down for two days after! :) I see you're already taking advantage of what you know about yourself by not taking any early classes. Smart move that one! :)

Joscelin
04-22-10, 11:10 PM
I am having a problem with EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness) despite all of this. I have been reading quite a bit about ADD and I understand that sometimes stimulants, like coffee, will have the opposite effect on some people with ADD/ADHD. I have most recently cut back on my coffee intake to see if this helps.

I tend to doze at my desk within the first couple of hours of starting the workday.

Well Krys and I had a detailed chat last night during my session. Because of my existing sleep apnea, I am going to look into Provigil. Since it was created to help people with sleep disorders initially, I know I won't have any trouble from my insurance company since my OSA diagnosis has been in my records since 1996. I'm hopeful that I may be one of the folks with ADD who also reap benefits in THAT area while on Provigil. Right now I just want (and need.. as my boss has noticed and had a 'chat' with me about it the other day) to STOP DOZING AT WORK.

It's getting harder each day for me to fend off the sleepiness. From what I've read about narcolepsy, you can have it for a long time but not notice symptoms (that can't be passed off).

We'll see. I'm enjoying hearing from others about their sleep habits/issues. Thanks for chiming in.

~J

Imnapl
04-23-10, 12:31 AM
People with sleep apnea also take Ritalin.

Joscelin
04-23-10, 07:43 AM
People with sleep apnea also take Ritalin.

Thank you Phaedrus, I will take that into account when I see my new provider next week. :cool:

Addr68
04-23-10, 08:07 AM
Joscelin how did you doc visit go? (you mentioned this in your OP ) :)

When I worked..and there was no stimuli, I would find myself very tired.
*thonk on the desk* Serious! lol

I found structuring my work day i.e setting goals and taking breaks (treats for making goals) very helpful.

I was a College Admissions Officer.

Sample of a goal: Make 'X' amount of calls/emails within a hour.
Bam! Did it...Took a small break..outside my office.

This helped break up the day and I was stimulated :)

For me, this was not a sleep disorder, rather me being bored.

Best to you Joscelin :)

Bry

Joscelin
04-23-10, 09:04 AM
Joscelin how did you doc visit go? (you mentioned this in your OP ) :)

Hi Bry!

Well my therapist thinks a trial of Provigil may be useful.

For awhile, getting up, having some caffeine or a Five Hour Energy would allow me to keep working.. but it is getting more and more difficult to stay alert. It is frustrating because I can feel myself slipping into snooze mode and nothing I do lets me snap out of it.

I'm seeing a new doctor next week (my current PCP has kind of given me the brush off when I mention ADD) and am going to see if we can give it a go. Will keep ya'll posted.

~Julie

Imnapl
04-23-10, 09:21 AM
Its just sometimes I will be in a conscious state and my body will paralyzed I try to open my Eye lids but I can't. I see images and hear noises just like it describes in the Link I posted.

Does not happen all the time, actually rarely.Does this happen when you are trying to sleep? :confused:

Addr68
04-23-10, 09:24 AM
Hi Julie!
Very frustrating for sure..I can only imagine, what you are going through...

I do see this, you have determination; a desire to resolve, and even in the mist of what you are going through..you have a great attitude!

Yes! Please keep us posted :)

Bry

mhyper790
04-23-10, 04:26 PM
Does this happen when you are trying to sleep? :confused:

Its kinda hard to explain. It happens both When I am trying to sleep and during sleep Maybe at a certain phase of sleep.

But I do find that it happens when I try to sleep when I am under a lot of stress or worry.

Maybe that is what is disrupting my sleep patterns.

Sit-n-Spin
04-23-10, 04:54 PM
I have several problems with sleep.
Mild apnea with no recommended treatment other than continuing to lose weight.

I have Restless Legs big time!

I clench my jaw (even before ADD meds).

And interrupted Delta Sleep, which is the deep stage of sleep needed to rest completely.

I also am a nocturnal person, but am trying to change that a bit by habits.
I did not like Provigal at all. It made me feel the way I would after staying up and studying a couple of nights in a row for exams and drinking too much caffeine. And I can't take Ambien. I called people on the phone while still asleep. Nor Rozerim, which just kept me up all night until I quit after the samples and finally got a decent night of sleep!