View Full Version : Strattera and Neurotin

MaMa Chameaux
04-23-10, 09:47 AM
My psych just changed my meds from Vyvanse and Abilify to Strattera and Neurotin because I asked for meds with generic and still fely scatterbrained on the Vyvanse 70mg.
What the heck is Neurotin? My web search said anti-seizure drug. Why would she put me on a low dose of this as a mood stabilizer?
I am worried about not having the "wake-up" affect of Vyvanse on a non-stimulant. Is Strattera and wellbutrin a better choice?
I don't even want to get the Neurotin prescription filled!!!!

Sit-n-Spin
04-23-10, 04:59 PM
Neurontin is the name brand of Gabapentin. Gabapentin is sometimes used to fill prescriptions for Lyrica, too. It helps with pain. You might have seen ads for Lyrica for diabetic neuropathy. I'm not sure how it will help with ADD. Neurontin can cause problems with blood sugar and weight gain. Also, even if you have not had seizures before it can cause them if abruptly stopped. I think that's even more of a problem when taken with Wellbutrin. That's about all I know. I'm interested in hearing why your doctor prescribed it, though.

MaMa Chameaux
04-24-10, 02:27 AM
That's a great question. My Doc gave me a 10 question test which was pointing at Bi-polar, but I completely disagree with the diagnosis. I have ADD and I'm depressed, but not bi-polar. She prescribed Abilify before, which was super expensive and I didn't notice any great difference. The only antidepressant I have taken that made any difference is Lexapro.
I am trying to lose weight. God knows I don't want to gain more!!!

Sit-n-Spin
04-24-10, 02:55 PM
I think that's a valid concern, esp. if you might be prone to type II diabetes.

MaMa Chameaux
04-26-10, 10:28 AM
I found out Strattera does not have a generic.
Back to the drawing board!!!!