View Full Version : Focalin XR

Don Shimod
04-24-10, 08:09 AM
New here so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section.

Recently diagnosed with ADD. Psychiatrist put me on Focalin XR 20 mg.

Medication works great. Definite improvement at work and home. Very minimal side affects.

I take the med daily between 5 - 6 am. My work hours are from 8 -4.

The med seems to wear off around 2:00. I wouldn't say a major crash but definitely lack of focus after 2:00. I would like to be little more productive after work as well.

Doctor suggested I might need a higher dose so he put me on Focalin XR 30 mg. It is still the same thing. 2:00 and it has worn off.

I thought about taking the med later once I get to work however I do have a quite a bit of house hold duties to get done every morning including getting a 7 year old son ready for school. Med has worked wonders for this.

This is the only ADD med that I have tried. Are there others that last longer?

With Focalin xr 30mg, does this mean I am getting one dose of 15 mg to start and then several hours later another 15?

I was just wondering if I should ask about the possibility of just asking for regular Focalin three times a day instead of the extended release once a day so I can see when I need it and create a time table myself to manage the med.

Just looking for feedback. Researching all the different medications or ADD has been mind blowing. They Claim Focalin XR lasts 12 hours but I don't believe that.

Only long lasting XR seems to be Vyvanse.

smartestblonde
04-24-10, 10:24 AM
Hi Don,

I was just recently diagnosed as well at age 34, and I am now on day 5 of Focalin, and yes, my understanding is that Focalin metabolizes exactly as you've indicated...50% of the med is administered immediately, and the other 50% is delivered 4 hours later. How long each of those deliveries actually last is dependent on the individual, and I too only find this med works for about 8 hours for me.

Prior to this, the first drug that I was started on was Concerta. At 36 mg, I didn't really notice that much improvement but did notice a significant drop off around 4pm, so the doc increased me to 54 mg...unfortunately, that just increased my irritability too much.

I've researched the drop off of the meds quite a bit, and it seems like the most common thing to do is take a low dose of the short acting meds around the time that your long acting wears off. If your Focalin is working well, I wouldn't try switching to another drug. Believe me, if you found a good drug on your first try, stick with it because that's rare!

Good luck!

Don Shimod
04-24-10, 12:26 PM
Good point.

Just seems weird taking another med later on.

Basically it just ritlin with some Isomer adjustments.

After googling it it seems Focalin only comes in XR. I was hoping it was made in single dose forms so I could maybe take 3 separate doses a day.

smartestblonde
04-24-10, 04:39 PM
Actually, Focalin does come in just the short acting....I believe it's called Focalin IR, it's just an older med.

Amtram
04-24-10, 11:07 PM
I'm on week two of focalin XR. Jury's still out. I definitely think it's not effective long enough - I'll take it at 7:30, it takes almost an hour to really kick in, and by dinner it's already faded enough that I notice the difference. It's only 10 mg, and it's still an experiment for me at this point, but I kind of like having more than 8 or 9 hours of focus in a day!

Amtram
04-25-10, 07:03 PM
And here's another thing that's come up - I'm starting to feel anxiety when the Focalin is wearing off. Right now, I just took a quarter milligram of xanax because the panic is very, very uncomfortable. One of the reasons I discontinued Adderall recently was that I was having panic and anxiety while it was working. This is a different drug, but it's still a stimulant, so why is it doing this to me after it wears off? I'm completely stymied.

I'm also wondering if it'll stop being a problem after I've been on the Aplenzin (buproprion) for a few more weeks. . .but for now, I'm just curious if this happens to anyone else on Focalin.

babu
04-26-10, 09:07 PM
I just started taking generic focalin regular, 5 mg 3 times a day, say 8, noon and 4 pm. Helpful, but it does have an intense rebound anxiety effect as it wears off. I hate it. Thought it was the generic. I took focalin -the original- years ago and liked it much better, very smooth, no anxiety at all. I wonder if they're changed the manufacture or some such....?

Josh_kelly
04-27-10, 08:36 AM
Generic focalin is nothing compare to the brand by novartis.

one generic made by teva. Anything that this company makes along with companies teva owns barr, duramed,....(ADHD meds wise) focalin, adderall, generic adderall, dexedrine generic tabs and spansules.

felt the same in varying degrees. LIKE DRINKING TOO MUCH COFFEE. And I am taking 5-8 cups in one pill. harsh.

go back to focalin brand. Novartis has an assistant program for focalin XR only.

jt51
05-11-10, 08:39 AM
Good point.

Just seems weird taking another med later on.

Basically it just ritlin with some Isomer adjustments.

After googling it it seems Focalin only comes in XR. I was hoping it was made in single dose forms so I could maybe take 3 separate doses a day.

Some people such as myself don't do well with XR medications. None of them have worked like half immediately and half 4 hours later for me. They always work well for 2-3 hours and then I feel like I'm crashing for the remainder of effects. You may need to add in a booster dose in the afternoon or split the XR dose and take both a few hours apart. Talk to your doctor about it.

Also, the 'isomer adjustments' are that focalin is only the d-isomer, dextro-methylphenidate where ritalin is both the d and l isomers. This makes an absolutely huge difference in effects. The d-isomer achieves the desired focus effects, while the l-isomer causes much of the the side effects like jitters and a cracked out speedy feeling. In my opinion, your doctor chose an extremely good medicine to start with. Hope everything works out for you.

Don Shimod
05-12-10, 07:59 PM
Well here is my issue,

I told the Psychiatrist that when I was on 20 milligrams of Focalin XR it worked but It didn't last.

So he thinks I need a stronger dose and ups to 30. It still wears off after 4- to 5 hours. Crash!

I cant figure out why not 15mg XR twice a day instead. All the increase did was put more stimulant in my body than was needed in that 4 - 5 hour window. Result was the same.

I got fed up with Psychiatry and went to my Family Physician. We talked for awile and decided to give Adderall XR 20 a try. Works just as well except the onset is a little more gradual. Focalin hit me like a euphoric thunder instantly. That's not what I was looking for

However the med still wears off by noon. I wake up a 5:30 and take my med. I have a 7 year old son and a wife who is partially disabled. I need to start the med when I wake up because I have a lot of stuff to get done.

I work 8 -4 and cant have the medication wearing off at noon. Plus I have family stuff to get done after work.

I am going to see my Family physician on Friday and ask him if taking adderall XR 15mg twice a day is an option. One in the morning than one at noon. I would honestly rather try to to keep a lower dose in my system for a longer period than I higher dose in a 5 -6 hours of my day.

I called and asked my Pharmacist and he said that taking an XR Adderall twice a day wasn't that uncommon. The only concern was insomnia. I was honest and that I tried the 20 mg twice a day and had no side effects. Slept like a baby. I just don't want my doctor thinking I am drug seeking.

If I was looking to get high I would have stuck with the Focalin XR. That stuff is eerily similar to Cocaine. For me the Adderall XR is slow acting, no high or Euphoric sensation like the Focalin.

Maybe I just have a abnormal metabolism. Monday after work I had to stop at Starbucks and drink a quad espresso just to keep me going. Lady in line behind me asked how I would be able to sleep. LOL I was out like log by 9:30.

Josh_kelly
05-13-10, 10:40 AM
actually

focalin was developed to not produce a high when snorted or injected (with the isomer responsible for that taken out).

thats why its not popular in the black market
or as a party drug with college students

Fishstix
06-07-10, 06:42 AM
actually

focalin was developed to not produce a high when snorted or injected (with the isomer responsible for that taken out).

thats why its not popular in the black market
or as a party drug with college students

That would explain why it doesn't crank me up like Adderall did. :rolleyes: