View Full Version : 15y/o daughter just diagnosed-questions about Concerta and side effects..

maryann
04-26-10, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry if I'm posting on the wrong board. I'll try the med board too. I'm new to these boards so forgive me. My daughter has just been diagnosed with inattentive ADD. She has struggled academically since elementary school, but has gotten by with being sweet and non-confrontational. Sound familiar?

We had her tested by a Psychologist, and then took her to her Pediatrician who is trying 18mg Concerta. We started this past Saturday to see how she would react. She has had headaches every day, and after school today she had one, along with irritability. She yelled at me and her brother, whom she dearly loves. This is rare for her.

Do these headaches go away? I hate to give her Advil every day for them, and cannot bear to think how she will be when she is PMSing...I also hate to think of her being so miserable after school. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mary Ann

Tisha
04-27-10, 09:32 AM
Hi. I know how hard it is to have your child diagnosed and start meds. Both my boys were diagnosed in the fall. Different meds have different side effects. Even the same med at the wrong dosage has bad side effects. If your daughter's irritabilitly doesn't stop within the next few days, I would contact her ped, and ask what to do.

My son was on Vyvanse and it made him a zombie. We took him off of it for 2 months, and he's just started Focalin XR today.

My other son was on Vyvanse 60 mg, we upped it to 90 and he became very hostile and irritable. We took him off of that dosage almost immediately.

I feel like they are guinea pigs, but we just have to keep trying. good luck.

OnlyMe
04-28-10, 10:09 AM
I second trying a different med, they have different effects on different people.