View Full Version : Household tips for ADD women

Mac-distraction
06-23-04, 04:18 PM
:rolleyes: Hello everyone thanks to all who posted about problems with husbands about a messy house. A lot of people had great tips about keeping our houses clean and I thought it deserved its own post. So if you have made any discoveries that make your house more organized LET US KNOW!!!!!

I will give one I just have figured out this week. Now when I am folding laundry I fold first and put it ONE pile. I organize the clothes into piles for each of our 4 family members after I fold. (I have ALWAYS put the folded clothes into different piles as I was folding...) This may seem like a small deal, but what it means is I can fold right out of the dryer before putting the next load from the washer to the dryer. The other thing is it actually SAVES ME SO MUCH TIME! I can't exactly explain why- I think I actually wasted a lot of time after folding looking at all of the piles deciding which pile each item went on.

I also now make myself put away the laundry also before putting clothes from the washer to the dryer. Laundry is a HUGE problem for me. I don't do it often enough because I hate it. Then I will only do part of the process so I have piles on unfolded clean laundry, piles of folded clean laundry, piles of dirty laundry..... I can't tell you how often I end up washing clean clothes because the piles got mixed up!!!

Hopefully I can keep this up and get a grip on the laundry. In fairness and full disclosure I should point out that I recently started Strattera ( 6 weeks ago) and I think it is also really helping me not dread mind nummingly boring tasks like laundry......

Flyfisher
06-23-04, 07:56 PM
I am going to give your suggestions a try! I hate laundry and with a family of six, we have a lot. However, I have jokingly come to terms with the fact that the only escape from laundry is death, so I guess I better just start dealing with laundry, lol. ;)

Laundry and dishes are so difficult for me when it comes to concentrating. A tip that helps me is I tackle these when I am on the phone with a friend and it goes much quicker.

I also use a timer to beat the clock and put a challenge to certain tasks.

FlakeyGirl
06-23-04, 08:05 PM
We are a family of seven, so paper plates and cups are a lifesaver, especially in the summer when everyone is home all day. If only someone would invent disposable socks, t-shirts, towels and underwear.....

Onwari
06-24-04, 11:18 AM
"Laundry and dishes are so difficult for me when it comes to concentrating."

Laundry? My laundry may need to go through the cycle again as it has been waiting to come out of the washer for two days. I am "just to busy" to pull it out and place it in the dryer! Gaaadds. I better go do it since I am talking about it and thinking about it....

Mac-distraction
06-24-04, 07:41 PM
Nothing better than the smell of laundry after it has been sitting in the washer for 4 or 5 days!!!

FlakeyGirl
06-24-04, 08:23 PM
1 capful of Lysol concentrate in a rinse cycle will eliminate that mildewy odor. Not many places I have found carry it so I stock up when I see it. It is not the big yellow citrus bottle, it is the small brown bottle. It smells sort of hospitaly, though. I always wash everything down with it after someone gets the stomach flu. I can't stand the smell of bleach.

Onwari
06-24-04, 09:21 PM
Boy that stomach flu is some nasty nasty stuff. When my family has it, you will find a garbage bag full of linens at the curb! Plus, a bout of that stuff and you will find my house sterilized. Quite a rarity. I have a childhood fear of vomiting.

Brianne
06-24-04, 10:17 PM
Anyone got suggestions for not wanting to do your laundry because you live in an apt and you have to walk up and down 2 flights of stairs to do it? Thats my problem right now. I know I would do it so much more if I had my own washer and dryer. We can't afford them now nor do we have a place to hook them up. Having to find quarters isn't always fun either. And the last place my fiance lived when I tried to help with laundry one day while he was at work, I fell down the stairs. OUCH! Bruised my knee pretty good. After that he didn't want me to do laundry anymore! He helps me when he can but the Army has him working a lot of overtime right now so I have to do most myself. :(

This will only be a problem for 9 more months but 9 months of hardly doing laundry isn't good either. In 9 months we will be moving to Hawaii. We don't know where we will end up though could still be a problem when we first move there too. Just depends on if post housing will be available or if we will have to waite a few months............anyway once we get a place that we can hook them up my grandmother wants to give us the money to buy them as our wedding gift.

Until then any suggestions would be sooooooooooooooo great! ;)

FlakeyGirl
06-25-04, 01:29 PM
Aww, Bri, I remember doing laundry at apt. community machines. You have to stay there and watch your stuff so nobody takes it or throws it on the floor and they are not usually the most secure places either. Those laundry rooms are so hot, too. I guess my suggestion would be to generate as little laundry as possible. That would entail re-evaluating your definitions of "clean" and "dirty." I have discovered that there is so much gray area here. Invest in a bottle of febreeze and keep it in your closet. Pick up some new packs of socks and underwear so you don't HAVE to wash so often.

If you have a friend who is in a similar situation, you could plan to wash together and find a laundromat in your area. They are usually in strip centers with other shops so you don't have to be so bored waiting. The change machines usually work too. Do your "bleach" load first to get rid of the unknown funk in the machine.

That is so nice of your grandmother to offer such a generous wedding gift. I swear you will love you washer and dryer more than your china and all that other fancy stuff. If you have any say in what machines she buys, I'd suggest skipping all the bells and whistles and go for capacity-it will save you time and money. And don't we wash out our "delicates" in the sink anyway? A gas dryer is cost a little more at the outset, but an electric will cost you way more to operate in the long run.

Jellybean
06-25-04, 04:02 PM
I don't mind the laundry too much, I am probably still on a washer dryer honeymoon phase. This is the first time in my life I have had both and in my home. I guess it 2 years now. My family is small, but my kid often goes through numerous clothes a day.
Seems like I wash a lot. But I have never had it so easy, washing at home, drying at home.
Dishes are another story!!! I have always despised dish doing soooo much!!! I don't want to eat because they just add up soo fast! I refuse to use paper plates as the idea of more trash sucks too. Like someone mentioned doing them while on the phone helps, and I use the clock to race myself. I also do work better when I am upset at someone like my son. Or as an excuse to avoid my son, after I get him to bed. It isn't the break I dreamed of but he leaves me alone, or I can't hear him. And I think the clanking sounds are comforting to him that I am not far.

I just wanted to vent I HATE WASHING DISHES!!!!!!!!

krisp
06-25-04, 05:18 PM
I have to admit that one of the highlights of my so-called adult life was buying myself a washer and dryer. I'd just moved into a duplex by myself, and was thrilled to find washer-dryer hookups. At the same time, I was still young enough to be embarrassed about getting so excited over appliances. It was the first nail in the coffin of my coolness. :rolleyes:

I hate putting laundry away too. I've found that I really have to put it away immediately. A pile of laundry becomes nearly invisible to me within 20 minutes, and the longer it ages, the more difficult it becomes to pick it up and move it to its appropriate spot. Sometimes I'll watch TV while folding. I rarely watch grown-up shows on TV anymore, so it's enough of a novelty to keep me distracted while I fold.

tudorose
06-27-04, 04:26 AM
Hubby and I spent the entire weekend cutting the kitchen apart and adapting the plumbing to install a dishwasher. It it the best thing ever invented. As for the laundry, I get so stressed that everyone has to help. I get four baskets and everyone folds their own. I don't fold socks - I just chuck then in a drawer.

Mac-distraction
06-29-04, 01:33 AM
The only way I can do dishes is if the news is on NPR or they are talking about something else interesting. We have a tiny kitchen and our house was built so long ago they didn't make room for modern appliences.

This site is so awesome! I can not believe how much I laugh as I am reading. Krisp your line that unfolded laundry becomes invisible to you after 20 minutes is SO ME!!!!! It is so true. I think other people just can not understand that a pile of laundry does not "bother" me. That is not totally true- it bothers me because I think maybe my hubby will get annoyed- but it does not bother my athetic senses....

FlakeyGirl
06-29-04, 11:06 AM
Tiny kitchens are highly underrated. The less room you have for stuff, the less stuff you can have, and therefore you have to less to wash. I know if I have three dozen plastic tacobell cups in the cabinet, sooner or later there WILL be three dozen dirty pastic taco bell cups partying in my sink.

I try to have as little "foldable" laundry as possible and hang as much as I can. Putting stuff on hangers right out of the dryer is practically a guarantee that it gets put away. I mean really put away, not just in a pile on somebody's bed, waiting to get knocked on the floor and deemed "dirty" before it's even worn. Carelessly tossing something unworn in the hamper to mingle with funky draws and sweaty socks is a crime punishable by a month of folding. ;)

Brianne
06-29-04, 08:12 PM
Thanks Flakey............oh and as far as china...I have asked not to get any. Since Ken is in the army I told them all I don't want stuff like that. It will be to easy to break and eventually I will inherit 5 sets of china. ACK! What will I do with all that? Hopefully that won't be for a long time and I can pass it on to my kids or something. LOL!
My grandmother is just going to give us the money to pick out our own since we don't even know yet when we will have housing once we move. I would like one like my mother just bought last year..........she got one that saves on heat and saves the hot water heater because it heats the water itself!

LOL I have more socks than I know what to do with already! I don't wash anything that I didn't wear long enough to get dirty and wear most my jeans more than once unless I sweat in them or get something on them the first time. I think we could solve part of the problem if we had more hamper space but money is so tight right now I will have to wait on that. I just get tired of steping over all the clothes all the time. I didn't mind as much when it was just my stuff but some of Kens army stuff can be dangerious on the floor. At least it is for me .........doesn't bother him but hes not the one getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom when you can't see and tripping over it and waking up with brusies cause he left out his ruck sack! ouch! I tried using a night light at night to see where I was going but it distracts me too much when I am trying to go to sleep.

MRB
07-25-04, 03:52 PM
For Bri (and anyone else dealing with the laundry-walkup situation) -

call your local laundry and find out if they have a laundry-doing service. Yeah, you have to get over the queasy feeling of someone else handling your underwear but once that first pile of freshly-done clothes comes back - ALL FOLDED -that you didn't have to deal with, you can get over it pretty quickly. Our laundromat charges by pound of laundry b/c they realized that ADDers aren't the only ones in our rush-rush-hurryup-get-it-all-done society that have to deal with this issue.

Brianne
07-27-04, 10:27 PM
ok Thanks MRB!

triple*eee
08-08-04, 08:53 PM
This certainly hits home . I HATE DOING LAUNDRY!! It's the putting away that I hate. We are a family of 5 so there is lots.

I have come sooooooooo close to putting an ad in the paper to hire someone to come in twice a week to do our laundry. I would pay them 10.00 an hour. 3 hours max each day.

Any takers??? lol

Denise

maiasmom
08-08-04, 09:13 PM
i just wanted to say that laundry and dishes and my childrens toys are a huge prob for me too. i am so glad that other people have these problems. it really helps. currently my mother and siblings are staying with me and i hear it all the time. she is always on my case about laundry, etc. "how can your house be so clean one day and the next it looks like trash?" thats what i got tonight. it is driving me nuts and makes me feel like crap. she doesnt understand and now i am happy to know that i am not the only person that cant keep a "perfect" home. thanks again!

moxee33
08-21-04, 09:18 PM
Hi,
I also have to go down 2 flights of stairs to get to the laundry machines and I really procrastinate until my husband is out of clean underwear!, but I get through it by telling myself the stairs are good exercise for my calves! Also, I buy a couple of great magazines or a book that I read while I am sitting on the washer! A candy bar and a coke are also good rewards if you are not on Atkins. I have a really old radio that I leave downstairs (I live in a 3 unit building) and I turn on the music if I am folding...I really HATE folding!
Try to give yourself a special reward that you only get when you do the laundry. Hope that helps :O)

SASSYRED
08-22-04, 08:52 PM
:) I try to wash & day as soon as we have a load of clothes dirty.That way I can keep it uncontrol,But lately I have not be keeping up as well as I was because I had surgery.
Sassy

Salsa
08-30-04, 12:27 PM
I've found the FLY LADY routine to be helpful. Somedays I don't have the gumption to follow all of it, but it's still a good guideline for a person like me who has a hard time falling into a routine.

http://www.flylady.com

Also, when I have a lot of chores to do, I find it helpful to have upbeat music in the background to help me get going. If time allows, it also helps me to do a few things on my routine or "to do list" and then take a break. Then go back and do a few more things.

Salsa
08-30-04, 12:30 PM
i just wanted to say that laundry and dishes and my childrens toys are a huge prob for me too. i am so glad that other people have these problems. it really helps. currently my mother and siblings are staying with me and i hear it all the time. she is always on my case about laundry, etc. "how can your house be so clean one day and the next it looks like trash?" thats what i got tonight. it is driving me nuts and makes me feel like crap. she doesnt understand and now i am happy to know that i am not the only person that cant keep a "perfect" home. thanks again!
maiasmom,
I don't know how old your kids are but I remember reading a suggestion for young kids and keeping toys under control. I tried it a few times and it does work.

Lay out a large blanket and make that the play area. Toys have to stay on the blanket. When they're done playing, all you have to do it pick up the blanket and all the toys are picked up.