View Full Version : Can I switch back to an "old" med without titrating?

musikat
04-28-10, 01:08 PM
My son was on Vyvanse for a couple of weeks, finally ending up at 30mg (after trying 20, 40 and 50). He did great at 40 for a few days, couldn't handle 50 and at 30 seemed to have okay focus but it did nothing for his hyperactivity.

Now that we are trying Intuniv (to help with hyperactivity and other behavior issues) we are currently on Focalin 5 mg. He has been on Focalin since 4/15. It seems like the Focalin isn't doing much if anythyihng for his focus and may be contributing to negative behavior. I don't think I like it as well as the Vyvanse for him.

I still have a nearly full bottle of Vyvanse 30mg. Could I try him back on that, or would I have to start at 20 mg again? I could also halve it and go to 15 for a few days. I just have a feeling that combination might work better than the Focalin, since we never saw any benefit from Focalin but did from Vyvanse.

Thoughts?

Turbochica
04-28-10, 02:14 PM
That is a question that you should consult your prescribing Doc about .

JenE
04-28-10, 02:15 PM
Yes, please talk to your doctor before changing any meds like that. He/She can help you do it correctly so it is safe. Hang in there!