View Full Version : Vyvanse Tolerance?

ADHDpinball
04-28-10, 09:56 PM
I've always thought that I've had ADHD, but never really cared to see a doctor about it. Recently I noticed that my ADHD was affecting my performance at my new job, so I finally decided to talk to a doctor about it. My doctor confirmed that I do indeed have ADHD, and prescribed me 20mg Vyvanse. For the first few days it seemed to help, but after that I couldn't tell much of a difference. I had a follow up appointment with my dr a few weeks later and after telling my dr that I only noticed that it helped for a few days, my dr upped my dose to 40mg. With 40mg I noticed a signifcant difference in my performance and ability to focus on tasks at work...but this only lasted for about two weeks. Now I'm kind of able to tell that its helping, but nothing significant like I was noticing before.

Is it just me or do you get immune to Vyvanse really quick? If so, do you have to keep upping the doseage frequently? Is that even a healthy thing to do? Should I ask my dr to up the dose again at my next appointment? I know that some people abuse the drug, and I don't want my dr thinking that Im some junkie and want more to abuse it....I'm glad to have something that helps at all!

Any feedback/advice is appreciated!

nonalori
04-28-10, 11:19 PM
Hi adhdpinball, I am new to all this myself, but I don't think you are too high according to the reviewers on WEBMD. A usual starting adult dose of Vyvanse is 30mg, then advancing up to a medium is 50mg, and a little higher is 70mg. Much higher and they start showing strange side effects. Wishing you the best, nonalori

Magsmoll
05-06-10, 09:49 AM
I've always thought that I've had ADHD, but never really cared to see a doctor about it. Recently I noticed that my ADHD was affecting my performance at my new job, so I finally decided to talk to a doctor about it. My doctor confirmed that I do indeed have ADHD, and prescribed me 20mg Vyvanse. For the first few days it seemed to help, but after that I couldn't tell much of a difference. I had a follow up appointment with my dr a few weeks later and after telling my dr that I only noticed that it helped for a few days, my dr upped my dose to 40mg. With 40mg I noticed a signifcant difference in my performance and ability to focus on tasks at work...but this only lasted for about two weeks. Now I'm kind of able to tell that its helping, but nothing significant like I was noticing before.

Is it just me or do you get immune to Vyvanse really quick? If so, do you have to keep upping the doseage frequently? Is that even a healthy thing to do? Should I ask my dr to up the dose again at my next appointment? I know that some people abuse the drug, and I don't want my dr thinking that Im some junkie and want more to abuse it....I'm glad to have something that helps at all!

Any feedback/advice is appreciated!

I think you'll find similar posts on here if you search. Vyvanse seems to do that. I titrated too quickly the first time around, so I stopped for a month. When I started again, I started at 30mg. I titrated by 10 mgs when I felt little to no effects from the previous dose. I added adderall salts slowly in the pm for a booster, this was also done very slowly.
I am now up to 70 mg and lucky to get 5 hrs. So, even titrating slowly, the effects definately seem to dissipate. My husband takes it, as well. He went up by each strength one month at a time. The effects of 70mg seemed to lose it's effectiveness after 2-3 months?? He does have a consistant better outlook and more clarity ( mostly). Its effects are short, though.
Vyvanse is the best drug out there for us, unfortunately, it does seem to lose it's effectiveness. Maybe finding boosters or adding another Vyvanse later in the day might work. The best advice I can give you is to TITRATE SLOWLY and write down effects. This will maximize the many benefits of Vyvanse. Good Luck!!