View Full Version : Prescriptions in the UK

sam
06-24-04, 09:22 AM
Next September I'll be attending university in Sussex/Brighton Medical School, but I was wondering what's it like to get perscription drugs to help my ADD over there? More specifically, is it possible to attain either strattera or adderall? I don't know how the healthcare system over in the UK works -at all-, so any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Tara
06-24-04, 01:24 PM
Strattera just recently became availible in the UK.

sam
06-25-04, 07:06 AM
I know what is available in the UK but I also read how your doctor would have to fax the prescription to a single distributor (in the case of strattera) but how complicated is it compared to the US?

clawless
06-25-04, 12:28 PM
as far as i know you can get ritalin (generic verision, equasym,tranquilyn)
concerta xl i only know these ones because they are the ones we have tried with John
strattera is being released this month
i will try and find out so extra inro for you

clawless
06-25-04, 12:34 PM
just found this hope it helps

Medications used for ADHD in the UK

Methylphenidate (Ritalin® or Equasym® in the UK) a stimulant medication has been used safely for many years to help children and adults with ADHD

Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine or Dex) has also been used for many years in both the USA and the UK

Doctors in the UK tend to favour Methylphenidate, but if this does not work for your child then Dex is often the next one to try as both have different effects on different people.

The way these drugs work is not fully understood. It is presumably through their effects on multiple catecholamine neurotransmitters. It has been found that between 60 and 90% of children respond to drug therapy for ADHD.
Unfortunately there is no clinical data to clearly predict which medicine a particular child is most likely to respond well or poorly too. The presence of a co morbid diagnosis and parental preference best dictate the choice of medication.

Clonidine is being used with increasing frequency for patients with aggressive behaviours or co morbid (associated) tic disorders.

Risperidone is used for the same reasons as the Clonidine above

Tricylic antidepressants are used primarily in patients with complicating factors (e.g., co morbid psychiatric conditions) or if symptoms are resistant to other medicines that have been tried.

SR Ritalin a once-daily treatment for ADD/ADHD, is now available in the UK. There are mixed reactions to it and a 'top up' of the ordinary methylphenidate is required with it.

Concerta XL, a totally new concept of long acting medicine lasting up to 12 hours, now available at all Chemists in 18 and 36 mg caplets

sam
06-27-04, 05:49 AM
Thank god for email. I was able to talk to a friend's doctor in England about it and he cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

Thanks goes to you guys, also! :-)

clawless
06-27-04, 08:38 AM
glad u got it sorted :D

hope u will be abel to get it on perscription as i dont think students have to pay for them here :D and evey penny counts when you are a student :D plus the night life is good in brighton or so i've heard :D