View Full Version : "Big Pharma's" invention of Adult ADHD, etc.

APSJ
05-01-10, 02:18 PM
8 Invented Diseases Big Pharma Is Banking on

Since direct-to-consumer drug advertising debuted in 1997, pharma's credo has been When The Medication Is Ready, The Disease (and Patients) Will Appear. Who knew so many people suffered from restless legs?

But pharma's recent plan to move from mass-market molecules into more lucrative vaccines and biologics did not see the anti-vaxer movement coming: millions of Americans saying You Want to Vaccinate Me -- and My Child -- with WHAT?? and condemning vials of H1N1, rotavirus and MMR vaccines to sit, well, way past their expiration dates. Nor were fears of an international vaccine conspiracy helped by former CDC Director Julie Gerberding resurfacing as President of Merck Vaccines in December. (Nice revolving door if you can catch it.)

Now pharma is back to creating new diseases, patients, risks and "awareness campaigns" faster than you can say thimerosal (the vaccine preservative that started the backlash.)

4. Adult Autism, ADHD and Refusal to Play Nicey

Having marketed adult diseases like depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in 4-year-olds to death, pharma is now finding childhood diseases in adults. Adults with ADHD have hyperactivity, impulsivity, "executive function deficits" and "difficulty with organization and time management," says Harvard Medical School's Joseph Biederman, in a 2004 JAMA. The disease, found in most people's brother-in-laws, requires "lifelong" medication says Biederman, who was accused of pushing Risperdal and hiding pharma income by Congress in 2008. Adults may suffer from autism too says a 2008 article in Psychiatric News, if they're "unsociable, extremely rigid, given to angry outbursts" and "acutely sensitive to light, heat, and pain." Luckily, in two studies "SSRI antidepressants led to a decrease in repetitive behaviors and to somewhat more socializing," in adults with autism says Psychiatric News.
alternet.org/story/146471/8_invented_diseases_big_pharma_is_banking_on/?page=entire

Journalistic Integrity Deficit (JID) is a condition which is still poorly understood, but some details, and a consistent set of symptoms are beginning to emerge. Chief among them is the tendency to use authoritative language to make erroneous claims regarding subjects about which the JID sufferer has no knowledge. JID patients often suffer from delusions of a very specific variety known as IDUSINR (I Don't Understand It So It's Not Real) delusions. Some researchers argue that these are secondary to a lack of basic research skills, others that a deficit in the ability to distinguish verifiable fact from baseless, or even verifiably false, opinion is responsible.

Most agree that instruction in basic research and critical thinking skills can help, but JID sufferers are often resistant to such measures. At this point, the most promising avenue of research would appear to be pharmacological, but to date, no effective medication for JID has been brought to market. Until an effective treatment is found, we must all be vigilant in screening journalistic endeavors to ensure that people suffering from this debilitating condition do not fall through the cracks.

FinallyAnswered
05-01-10, 02:48 PM
LOL apsj......JID is a perfect example of why my signature quote is what it is.....

SB_UK
05-01-10, 03:22 PM
With respect to the corporation and its quest for money, profit and market share.Misinformation through ve$ted interest - it is difficult to know what to believe, pretty much across the board.

Who has the time to verify a corporation's claims ?

I'm holding out hope for a change in society and its habits resulting in an elimination of the disorders which pharmaceutical companies make their money from.

Optimal physiological and psychological functionality without the need for medication.

Examples of some of the most important changes which we'll require -

Education for all,
[explanatory note - Man is defined by mind - the mind need be filled]
An end to the manufacturing sector (an end to pollution),
[explanatory note - I believe that man may be more sensitive than animals to environmental pollutants (a consequence of our more highly evolved status)]
Improved fresh, 'organic' produce diet,
[explanatory note - The acidosis/alkalosis argument]
A flattened workplace structure,
[explanatory note - To counter the stress of a competitive environment]
An end to variable remuneration ... ... ...
[explanatory note - Remove the quantity of money motive and people will seek quality of life measures]
Human/solar/wind powered batteries/generators
[explanatory note - The madness of the most pernicious of unsustainable industries - the oil/plastic industry has to end] ... ...

Human empowerment over inflated payments to corporation board members.

Not much originality in those suggestions
- we all kinda' know what's up with society.

SB_UK
05-01-10, 03:55 PM
"The camera only goes where the cameraman points it." Don't accept any one point of view as the absolute truth. Look OUTSIDE the narrow scope of the lens to find the whole truth!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNg7_mVIGs

The only advert which I've ever remembered.

Amtram
05-01-10, 06:36 PM
APSJ, I am very sorry that I can thank you only once for that. Had me in stitches, and spot on!

ADDMagnet
05-01-10, 10:01 PM
APSJ,

I loved your description of JID! Thanks so much for finally giving a name to this often undiagnosed disorder.

Shmeepod
05-03-10, 07:22 AM
You would tend to think that these people clamoring that adult ADD and autism are "inventions of big pharma" would be more supportive of neurodiversity and more willing to be understanding and accepting of differences.

However, in my experience people who claim that it is all made up to try and sell drugs are the very same people who are most intolerant of differences and most likely to demand that people with poor impulse control and poor social skills change their behavior.

Really they need to make up their minds. Either the behavior is normal and needs to be accepted and tolerated or it is abnormal and should be treated (in my personal opinion it falls somewhere in between and while people should still try to accept and tolerate differences, it is useful to treat these disorders).

These people are basically stamping their feet and whining that everybody should just be like them.

APSJ
05-04-10, 11:57 AM
I think it would be great if JID sufferers saw this subforum as a safe place they could come to seek support. In the meantime, at least, we can collect the published embodiments of their disorder here to raise awareness.