View Full Version : Brand Ritalin vs Generic Methylphenidate - Can you tell the difference?

David
06-24-04, 08:21 PM
Can you tell the difference between brand Ritalin & generic Methylphenidate?

I previously mentioned this in another thread but dediced it might be interesting to start a new topic with a poll specifically on this. I may be the only one but I thought I would find out. :)

Personally, I have much better results with brand Ritalin than I do with generic Methylphenidate of the same or even a slightly higher dosage. I have more side effects with the generic as well. When I am coming off the gereric dose I feel more "dirty" than I do with brand. Sometimes I will have a bit of a headache as well, and I rarely if ever do on brand.

I take 10 mg aprox. 4 times a day. Every 3 hours or so.

This may also be relevant. I have better effects from breaking 20 mg tablets in half than I do with using the standard 10 mg brand tablets. You would think they are exactly the same but I can tell the difference. After I kept asking my doctor to prescribe me the 20's instead of the 10's he asked me why. I told him that the side-effects were less for me on the 20 cut into 10.. I thought he was going to call me crazy on it but he said he had heard that before. He asked me to conduct a test by having my girlfriend give me either a 20 broken in half or a 10 mg brand pill and for me to tell her what I think I was on. (She dropped this into my mouth with my eyes closed so I couldn't see the difference) Out of 10 doses, I only called one wrong.

Just curious if anyone else could tell the difference?

David

Gracie
08-02-04, 11:23 AM

I have better effects from breaking 20 mg tablets in half than I do with using the standard 10 mg brand tablets.

Ditto to everything you said, David. I tended to have more side effects with the Methylphenidate too. I take it that you were splitting the tabs as opposed to the capsules? I have the brand LA 20mg capsules but they say that you can open them up.

douglasb52
08-08-04, 08:41 PM
I was taking Ritalin brand in the late 90s and up to 2001, but was actually buying it over the counter in Tijuana Mex. because I live in San Diego. It was only available in 10 mg tabs. I was doing that because I had financial problems at the time and couldn't afford a shrink. Now I got into some UCSD program with a sliding scale that made the shrink very affordable, and I get a generic made by Malinkrodt. Another poster says that Malinkrodt makes a very good generic version of Dexedrine, and I am here to say that their version of methylphenidate is pretty much identical to brand name Ritalin. Always ask the pharmacy who makes the generic. It really is cheaper and I can't tell the difference. 60 of the 20 mg. tabs are only about $50, cheaper actually than dealing with the farmacias across the border, though the doctor's "prescription" cost a mere $10 and made it legal to bring it across the border and declare it to Customs.

Keppig
08-09-04, 05:52 PM
I was never given the option of Ridalin just the generic so I don't know.

Kostics
09-04-04, 04:50 PM
Douglas, thanks for that great tip.

I'm switching next week to Ritalin because of tolerance (aka "poop-out") I developed to d-AMPH.

I assume you were referring to METHYLIN®, Mall's brand of methyphenidate? I too was tipped off by a poster about Mallincrodt's excellent version of Dexedrine. (Saved me plenty,too.) So I'm not surprised that they make an equally good version of Ritalin, too. But it's great to get confirmation from someone who knows!

So thanks again.

Best,
Allen
Kansas City, MO

douglasb52
09-06-04, 08:49 PM
Yeah I'm very happy with the Mall generic. The 20 mg have a similarly more highly active "kick" compared to the 10 mg tabs, as I have read in other posts with brandname Ritalin. In other words, a 20 cut in half seems stronger and more effective than a single 10. Who knows why. I take a 20 in the morning and cut one in half and stretch them across the afternoon, tho often the second "half" isn't necessary. It depends on what I need (or think I need) to get done. I have to watch that. I'm the kind of ADDer who can sometimes cross a line and start using the meds to simply go from vegeholic to workaholic. Know what I mean?

hypergeek
09-09-04, 02:35 AM
hi. i take four 20mg tablets a day. sometimes i think theres a difference but mostly the generic "methelphenidate" does okay.

Scatterbrains
09-10-04, 10:20 AM
I was taking 1 Ritalin LA 30 mg once a day, and just
this morning started with a generic 10 mg 3x a day.
So far I don't think it's working so great, I don't feel
half as focused as I did yesterday. I will be switching
insurance because the other HMO covers brand name
Ritalin.

Eve
09-11-04, 07:46 PM
I have taken almost all brands of Ritalin. I'm not sure if this is relevent to your question, but the only kind I have not had is plain Ritalin. I've been on Concerta(didn't like), Ritalin LA(only for a month by mistake, didn't like either.), And Ritalin Se(not bad).

After I took those varieties for several months I switched to methylphenidate 20 mg twice a day(I take 10 mgs at a time). I've taken that for a while now and it has worked pretty good. Yesterday I went to a different pharmacy and they gave me Methylin. So far I like it, except the pills are really hard to break in half.

Kostics
09-11-04, 10:43 PM
Look, I just started a few days ago on Methylin, a generic brand of Ritalin. I can't tell you how it compares to the original, except in price (Ritalin's nearly twice as much).

This I can tell you. Many people will tell you that generic RXs are just as good as the brand. Well, I wouldn't count on it, friends. Not where my health, physical or mental, is concerned.

The truth is that many people who have switched from Ritalin to a generic will tell you that there can be a BIG difference, and not for the better.
That's why I'm so pleased when I can find someone (besides the FDA!) who can vouch for the quality of their generic because they've actually USED the brand (like douglas, earlier in this thread).

These generics are like store brands. The quality can vary greatly. (oddly, some people talk as all generic drugs are made by the same company (Dubious Generic Pharmaceuticals, Inc).

There are lots of companies that make generic drugs, and these companies have names (usually right after the generic drug name on your RX bottle) Curaco, Purepac, Watson, Teva, Mallincrodt and a lot of other names you never heard of. Potency and quality can vary enormously, even within companies. Generic Valium made by Zilch company might be a bargain, but their generic Dilantan might give junior a seizure---literally!

Never mind people who tell you it's all in your head, that the FDA certifies all generics. It's not quite that simple.

(URL removed)

The only way to play it safe is to at least START with the brand RX, and have your doctor sign the scrip DAW (despense as written), then LATER switch to a generic Adderall, or whatever, so you can tell if there's a difference.

k.

sla
10-09-04, 12:45 AM
I've only recently started taking a generic ritalin. I don't know who makes it but I think I'll find out after reading these posts. My doctor tells me all the generic ritalins contain the exact same quantity of medication as the name brand drug but the problem comes with the way the pill is made and how much it allows your body to absorb. She tells me that because of the coatings used with the generic ritalin you absorb roughly 30% less than with name brand Ritalin.

douglasb52
10-10-04, 12:30 AM
Ask for Methylin, the generic brand made by Mallinkrodt. It is identical to brand Ritalin. I have to pay for it. I don't have insurance. My prescription is 60 of the 20 mg tablets. Ritalin is $90. Methylin is $51. If you have insurance, who cares, get the brand. It is absolutely every bit the same drug. All the other generics, especially anything made by Barr Laboratories, are suspect.

batgrl2000
10-10-04, 05:53 AM
Hey,
I don't know personally but my husband takes ritalin and says he likes taking the brand name better. He says the "crappy" side affects of generic are very noticable and he thinks the brand ritalin works better.

jnixon
01-04-05, 06:29 AM
I onced complained about generic ritalin and was told to chew it instead of swollowing it,. variable absorbtion rates make an impact. realize it.

douglasb52
01-04-05, 10:42 PM
Dexedrine generics are similar. For the most part I have not had the problems other people complain about with generic anything. Chewing makes sense, though. Sometimes solutions are just too simple...

Lisa G
01-10-05, 07:53 PM
I do the SAME thing David does, I notice it works much better, I don't need such a big dose I need it for a longer period of time. I was started on 1 5mg and I only felt it when it was wearing off, there is also that stigma that goes along with, but I almost doubled my mark in one of my exams. I take 1 20 and 2 10 a day but I notice breaking up the twenty works much better, I felel less intense and I use the other half in the evening. I also notice every 3 hours is better than every 4 hours cause at the end I feel "dirty" too, good word ha ha.

FightingBoredom
01-10-05, 10:18 PM
I've used both brand and generic Ritalin. In fact, just this month I got Brand bc my pharmacy couldn't fill with generic. (backordered, go figure..it must be over prescribed! :D)
The Brand version still doesn't seem any different than generic. I've taken them alternately on the same day or tried a couple of days of brand then a couple of days of generic.
NO difference. Well, except the Brand copay costs TWICE as much as the generic.

rasberryrum29
01-25-05, 10:13 PM

I previously mentioned this in another thread but dediced it might be interesting to start a new topic with a poll specifically on this. I may be the only one but I thought I would find out. :)

Personally, I have much better results with brand Ritalin than I do with generic Methylphenidate of the same or even a slightly higher dosage. I have more side effects with the generic as well. When I am coming off the gereric dose I feel more "dirty" than I do with brand. Sometimes I will have a bit of a headache as well, and I rarely if ever do on brand.

This may also be relevant. I have better effects from breaking 20 mg tablets in half than I do with using the standard 10 mg brand tablets. You would think they are exactly the same but I can tell the difference. After I kept asking my doctor to prescribe me the 20's instead of the 10's he asked me why. I told him that the side-effects were less for me on the 20 cut into 10.. I thought he was going to call me crazy on it but he said he had heard that before. He asked me to conduct a test by having my girlfriend give me either a 20 broken in half or a 10 mg brand pill and for me to tell her what I think I was on. (She dropped this into my mouth with my eyes closed so I couldn't see the difference) Out of 10 doses, I only called one wrong.

David
you know i am glad i read this because i take ritland to and i have always wondered if there was a diffrence between the generic and the regular brand. right now i am on the Ritland LA 10mil once a day but i think i need something stronger.

dgnboy2
05-31-06, 03:55 AM
I am glad to find this site. I have lots of questions, but for today I would like to comment about brand vs. generic Ritalin. There is a generic methylphenidate 10mg tablet that is made by the same company that makes Ritalin brand. My previous pharmacist told me this, I didn't just dream it up. The company that makes Ritalin produces the powder in bulk and then sells it to generic manufacturers. I am afraid that I don't recall the name of the generic company (my doctor switched me to Adderall XR-YUK!) but what the pharmacists told me seems true. The generic 10mg tablets that I used to receive were the EXACT same light blue-green color as the brand name 10mg tablets. I was allowed to take up to 6 per day--no closer than every 3 hours. They worked excellent for me for 10 years but they started loosing their effectiveness. That is when my doctor switched me to Adderall XR. (Plus one of the pharmacists didn't like the fact that my doctor said I could take 6 tablets per day and was always giving me grief about it as well as my doctor. The rogue pharmacist wouldn't originally fill my prescription because, "that is just too much Ritalin for anyone to take!" When the rogue pharmacist pulled out one of his reference books he quickly learned that 60mg/day was the maximum total daily dose recommended by the manufacturer, not a grossly high dose as he originally thought. He said that that was the only reason he finally agreed to fill the script.) I definetely didn't like some of the generic brands--they gave me the "dirty" feeling. Some of the generics were like taking placebo. And then there is the Methylin---I don't know what they use to hold their tablets together or if it is something else, but those tablets give me the shakes really bad. Thanks.

Lynn88
05-25-10, 02:44 PM

David

Heck yes I can tell the difference. I've been on Brand Ritalin for over 10 years at 20mg 4x per day. Tried generic and it really stinks! Jitters, headache, grumpy, etc... Current insurance company is fighting me. Their review board suggested to my doctor that I try the generic made by Sandoz since they are the manufacturer Novartis uses. I'm trying to find a pharmacy that carries it. Sam's Club/Walmart - no, Costco - no, Walgreens - no. Have yet to try Smiths and Albertsons. Hope they have it since I pay $178.00 for 120 tablets - that's with my Sam's Club discount.

kevpor123
10-29-10, 05:32 PM
I just Started 3 months ago on ritalin.I got the generic 10mg watson & it worked good but i needed 20 mg ,so the next time it was 20mg of generic made by Sandoz,it did'nt work as well,but still ok.the 3rd time I got Methyl by Mallincroft,This didn't even seem like the same medication I could not funtion on it,so this whole month I've been caling pharmacies to see if they have watson.i finally found a place,but when I called them back up they said they switchet to mallicroft they told me they can get for about half the price,I finally found a medication that works,but than they changed the manufacter.It made all the diff. on what gen. brand I got.Now I don't know how to work with mental to tell them this,becouse my Dr. is backed for 3 monthsI know the methylphinadate by Sandoz, & Watson did fine,but mallicroft-Methyl is messing me up,all my meds are changing from pepsi brand to flat diet shasta togive an example

StoicNate
10-29-10, 06:29 PM
Walgreens has Watson generic ritalin, but you have to tell them that you want Watson.

CVS has Sandoz generic ritalin, you also have to ask them for it.

Methylin by Mallinckrodt is a bad generic, avoid it at all costs.

DSLDAW2
01-11-11, 01:14 PM
I too, have only been on (Watson's) brand generic for 2 months, and then
got my most rescent script at Winnie Dixie. They gave me (Mall's) Methylin,
since that's all they carried. Holy C???, what junk!!!! I almost thought I
had taken a different med. After looking at the bottle and searching online
about what this med was, I realized I was screwed. It was just one of those times, where a generic version of a med is completely inferior.
I know that Walgreen's (Watson) brand is also a generic, but it's like
night and day. I was having so many serious side effects from the Methylin.
The muscles in my legs were so damn tense, and the bad circulation I'm
used to, got horribly worse. Even on a low dose, I couldn't function, and it
made my normal pain go through the roof. Thank God, I was able to get
switched to my old (Watson) brand. Now, I'm more relaxed, and able to
function. The (Mall) generic should be taken off the market, for all I care.
I even gave it about 5 days, just to make sure, that I wasn't just having a situational issuue, but it just got worse as each day went on. I was feeling
new pains and aches, in places, that I had never even had any, who needs
that? I'm almost certain, that the actual name brand Ritalin, would be even
better, than (Watson's). I might just go for the name brand next month,
couldn't be any worse, than the methylin, could it?

SfumatoPants
01-11-11, 05:50 PM
No, they act exactly the same. Only the emotional response to themarketing is different.

In Canada brand name and generic are both made by the same company in the same facility.

SF_DG
02-02-11, 06:39 PM
I look forward to giving you my opinion of brand Ritalin vs generic next month.

I have to say that I am feeling something close to outrage that I _endured_ Walgreens Watson/methylphenidate for as long as I did. I knew something was wrong but never imagined that it was my methylphenidate. Who knew that there can be a significant difference in quality between manufacturers?!

About two years ago I noticed a change in how my generic ritalin felt. At the same time I noted that I had increasing levels of other symptoms that were put down to "aging."

My prescribing Dr. left practice and at the my appointment with the new one I mentioned "something wasn't quite right with my ritalin." I told him I strongly suspected a change in quality but it couldn't be that, right? In my attempt to be gracious with him right now I am allowing that he may not have been aware of the possible differences between manufacturers for methylphenidate. But he is writing me a script for brand name this week and I shall never forget to remind him that drugs can vary between manufacturers.

I plan on speaking about it with my neighborhood (Walgreen's) pharmacist tonight. Perhaps he will be able to stock the brand name in the future? At least I've done my duty in informing him my opinion of the difference I've seen.

The difference between manufacturer quality is so marked that Parnassus Heights Pharmacy won't even stock the Watson version. Last month I tried the generic they do carry; Sandoz's generic methylphenidate. I found it to be a noticeable (and cleaner, less anxious) improvement.

This discovery all came about when I finally got brave enough to broach the topic "something wasn't quite right with my ritalin" with a pharmacy assistant.

Before registering here today I read "have your Dr. prescribe the name brand, and after a while then switch to a generic so that you know what you are looking for." I regret that I didn't remember the poster's ID so I can give him credit and proper paraphrasing of his wisdom. I plan to remember this gem and repeat it for the next few decades.

I am grateful for this wonderful ADD Forum.

Many thanks,

SF_DG

Lynn88
02-07-11, 05:14 PM
Heck yes I can tell the difference. I've been on Brand Ritalin for over 10 years at 20mg 4x per day. Tried generic and it really stinks! Jitters, headache, grumpy, etc... Current insurance company is fighting me. Their review board suggested to my doctor that I try the generic made by Sandoz since they are the manufacturer Novartis uses. I'm trying to find a pharmacy that carries it. Sam's Club/Walmart - no, Costco - no, Walgreens - no. Have yet to try Smiths and Albertsons. Hope they have it since I pay $178.00 for 120 tablets - that's with my Sam's Club discount.

Sandoz was bad for me too. Made me anxious and depressed. Had to go back to Brand. Not sure what the regulations say but due to recent crack down on doctors, I had to go to 20mg only 3x per day instead of 4.

Bezuidenthustra
02-07-11, 05:20 PM
I can't remember which generic I tried out first, but it was terrible. The brand name worked perfectly. Definitely a huge difference between the two. I always insist on brand-name Ritalin when I go in to the pharmacy.

CoreyMack
02-28-11, 04:11 PM
I have been on a generic brand 10mg pill that has DAN on one side and is a light green/blue color for 4 years now. anyone know of or were prescribed it? Last week I increased my dose the 20mg generic, this time, it was a light pinkish colored pill, again Dan text, scored in have with 20 on the bottom have, obviously 20 was for 20mg. I do experience moderate anxiety/nervousness, headaches and sometimes stomach pains, jitters, shakes, lots of times results in a depressing "come down" and I sweat more than usual are my side affects. I don't have insurance but will pay triple the price to minimize and/or cease half the side affects... my script of 60 20mg generics is only 39 bucks at wal-greens, but I assume that says a lot. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should switch to for best results in my case? I just signed up for this site today because after reading all of the post on this threads the majority of you really know what your talking about and have been more than helpful, 100% more helpful than my doctor lol,
thanks!
\
Corey:D

Lynn88
03-07-11, 03:47 AM
Walgreens is about the most expensive place to get Ritalin. I'm on 20 mg 3x per day. All the generics are really bad for me. Sam's club has the best prices although brand costs me 150.00 a month. If you can afford it I'd go for brand it's like night and day. Really.

Lynn88
03-07-11, 03:49 AM
No, they act exactly the same. Only the emotional response to themarketing is different.

In Canada brand name and generic are both made by the same company in the same facility.

Well, you are one of the lucky ones. BS on emotional response to generic. They are not the same. I wish!

tired tired
03-07-11, 05:22 AM
well it depends on the type of brand

brand is made by novartis (formerly ciba)

there is a generic made by sandoz

sandoz is owned by (and is the generic wing) of novartis

sandoz generic is novartis brand. they are even made at the same ficility in New jersey if i am not mistaken.

tabs are different in color but look exactly the same
imprint is different too.

that is called authorzed generic. meaning that the brand company makes but sells it under a generic company's name (so it would have access to the generic market without hurting the sales of the brand and without you putting 1 + 1 togther and find out that you the brand co makes the generic (which is a brand and exactly the same quality) but its camouflaged by the color and the other generic company's name.

even the FDA have a list of authorized generics on their website. you have to look it up. they tell which medication has an authorized generic without telling you which generic manuf. so you have to do little digging.

in this case

novartis makes ritalin, ritalin SR
sandoz has the generic for these two and its indeed authorized (its brand).

teva makes a generic ritalin but you compare between the quality of sandoz generic ritalin, and tevas generic ritalin.

FDA authorized generic list
generic companys are fighting to ban authorized generics so the brand manuf wont get profit thru the brand and the generic (authorized) sales.

and also everybody knows that authorized generics are way better than the generics. Why? because the brand maker makes. and they always make it the same way and at the same plant that they make their authorized generic. it would cost tons of money to have them processed in two plants and to play with the formula making it less effective than the brand and yet legal according to FDA rules (80-120%)

FDA Listing of authorized generics
http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/centersoffices/cder/ucm126391.htm

wiki Authorized Generics are prescription drugs (http://www.addforums.com/wiki/Prescription_drugs) produced by brand pharmaceutical companies and marketed under a private label, at generic prices.

Authorized Generics compete with generic products in that they are identical to their brand counterpart in both active and inactive ingredients<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1] (http://www.addforums.com/forums/#cite_note-0)</SUP>; whereas according to the Office of Generic Drugs (http://www.addforums.com/w/index.php?title=Office_of_Generic_Drugs&action=edit&redlink=1), generic drugs (http://www.addforums.com/wiki/Generic_drugs) are required to contain only the identical active ingredients as the brand<SUP id=cite_ref-autogenerated1_1-0 class=reference>[2] (http://www.addforums.com/forums/#cite_note-autogenerated1-1)</SUP>. Authorized Generics compete with generics on price, quality and availability in the generic marketplace, and are marketed to consumers during and after what is commonly known as “the 180-day exclusivity period”. In June 2009 the FTC issued an Interim Report http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/06/generics.shtm (http://Interim%20Report%20on%20Authorized%20Generics). "The Interim Report (http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/06/P062105authorizedgenericsreport.pdf) finds that drug prices are lower when authorized generics are m....

from the list
<TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=362><TBODY><TR><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="15%" colSpan=2>RITALIN

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="12%" colSpan=2>Tablets

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="13%" colSpan=2>5 mg

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=top width="15%" colSpan=2>Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="31%" colSpan=2>08/23/2007

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="14%" colSpan=2>Unknown

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="4%">470

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="15%" colSpan=2>RITALIN

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="13%" colSpan=2>10 mg

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=top width="15%" colSpan=2>Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="31%" colSpan=2>06/08/2007

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="10%">Unknown

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="4%">471

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="15%" colSpan=2>RITALIN

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="13%" colSpan=2>20 mg

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="31%" colSpan=2>10/09/2007

</TD><TD height=26 vAlign=center width="10%">Unknown

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
==================

sandoz and novartis are the same company
"Novartis was created in 1996 through the merger of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz, two companies with a rich and diverse corporate history. Throughout the years, Novartis and its predecessor companies have discovered and developed many innovative products for patients and consumers worldwide.

To learn more about Novartis was created in 1996 through the merger of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz, two companies with a rich and diverse corporate history. Throughout the years, Novartis and its predecessor companies have discovered and developed many innovative products for patients and consumers worldwide.

To learn more about
"
http://www.novartis.com/about-novartis/company-history/index.shtml

kamikaze942
03-25-11, 03:43 PM
Hey, glad i found this website. I finally started doing some research on different generics. Apparently I always thought I was on ritalin when I was younger and didn't know any better, but have taken (mostly) generic ritalin my whole life, and I always remember watson. Anyway, i have also taken adderall & dexedrine, but don't particularly remember much about them and if they had any differences.

I went back on meds 2 years ago after a few mishaps and bad decisions in my life, and I was very pleased with generic Ritalin Watson. I take 3x 20mg a day.

Couple weeks ago I was given two bottles, 4 of mallincroft, and 86 sando. IMO mallin was alright (but only sampled 4), and Sando blows.

I first thought it was probably just in my head (the differences), but after I started talking to myself on a regular basis, and starting hopping, skipping, singing. I came upon the conclusion my ADHD was back in full swing.

I called the pharmacy today asking to go back to watson, but apparently my pharmacy discontinued watson. (cheap-o's). So I guess my options are...

1. wait for mallin (backorder till may)
2. pay a few bucks to go to another pharmacy (have school insurance )
3. Take the crappy sandos
4. Or see if i can get 6 x 10 mg of another brand Celltech that's generic.

Haven't heard much about celltech, but It might be worth a try. I've never thought much about adderall, what's yall's opinions on dexadrine? And if you guys like a particular one, who's the manufacturer? Feel like I'm going back to SQUARE ONE!!