View Full Version : Two weeks for the drug to work?

Marko
05-03-10, 04:56 PM
The Methylin drug information says: "It may take up to two weeks to notice an improvement while on this drug."
I wonder if anyone in the forum has experienced this. I have been taking the drug for almost two weeks and I haven't seen any changes. :confused:

meridian
05-03-10, 06:19 PM
I don't have any experience with methylin, but this is common in psychoactive medications such as anti-depressants, SSRIs, SNRIs and the like. Some take far longer to really kick in. Give it a little time.

sijd
05-03-10, 08:48 PM
Methylphenidate is a stimulant and should start working after about 20 minutes. Some need time to notice the changes, but 2 weeks should be plenty for that

What's your current dose ?

Marko
05-04-10, 11:16 AM
After starting with 20 mg per day, now I'm taking 40 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon.
The weird thing is that when I started taking the 20 mg (divided in two doses), I felt it working after 20 minutes (as you say). THe only problem is that the effect only lasted for one hour and I usually forgot taking the second dose. So I was prescribed 36 mg Concerta per day; it didn't work at all.
And I'm still waiting... :o.
Now I thought of another question for those with experience with stimulants: Do they work everyday exactly the same?

sijd
05-05-10, 12:44 PM
As far as I know 60 mg/day is the maximum dose, and you probably shouldn't go any higher, at least not without a good reason. Since all the meds you mentioned are based on methylphenidate the doses are more or less comparable with concerta equating to 3x10mg spread across the day. So it might be that the 36 mg were just not enough and that a higher dose would be more effective. Some here also combine an extended release form like concerta with a small dose of immediate release (say methylin) to have the benefits of both sides

In case that none of that works out you're probably better off with an amphetamine based med (Adderal, Dexedrin or Vyvanse)

Now I thought of another question for those with experience with stimulants: Do they work everyday exactly the same?

Yes, at least most of the time. When I'm really tired or just don't feel very motivated there might not be much of an effect, but I don't think that this is something I could blame on the meds

Daniel