View Full Version : afternoon dip with Focalin XR

Diane 1986
05-03-10, 07:43 PM
I take 40 mg Focalin XR in the morning, and I definitely notice a drop off in its effectiveness in the early afternoon.

To fix it, I've tried:

making sure to eat enough at lunch and drink lots of water. Didn't work.
having a bit of caffeine when I start to feel the dip. Worked, but made me uncomfortably jittery.
10 mg methylphenidate. Just tried this today, and it made me very, very tired.

Adderall has too many side effects for me. I'm out of ideas. Do you notice the afternoon dip, and, if so, how do you fix it?

Josh_kelly
05-04-10, 08:18 AM
Sodas tech (focalin xr) beads. half instant and half 4 hours later. its similar to release mech by adderall xr.

you need to naturally alkalize your urine. so focalin would be more effective

3 drops of alAlkaZone Alkaline pH Booster Drops to water should do the job (amazon) dont exceed 3 drops. i would suggest having using alkzone mid day before you feel the effect of xr are diminishing.

jt51
05-11-10, 08:50 AM
I had the exact same problem you describe. I asked about adding in an afternoon IR booster dose, and my doctor suggested spacing out the XR doses by a few hours, but that didn't work well. I love focalin so I wanted to stick with it. Because taking multiple doses isn't a problem for me, I ended up switching to Focalin IR and have been much happier with it. It gives me more control over my dosing, and works much better for me. I think I metabolize XR drugs differently because I would get good effects for 2-3 hours then feel like I was crashing for 8 or so more hours. This has happened with all the XR drugs I've tried, not just focalin. At least focalin xr didn't have the nasty comedown of concerta or adderall xr. I still can't believe I took concerta for so long before I found out about focalin. Talk to your doctor about spacing out your XR doses (I'm assuming your prescribed 2x20mg xr daily like I was), adding in an afternoon booster dose, or switching over to IR. I hope everything that works out for you, good luck.