View Full Version : Taking Dexedrine Spansules 3x/Day; Want To Try Vyvanse

bookofmatches
05-06-10, 04:17 AM
Hi, I currently take dextro-amphetamine generic 10mg spansules by BARR 3x a day. Each 10mg spansule lasts only 5-6 hours for me which is why I need 3x a day dosing, but sometimes I can just get by with 2x a day dosing. It does get irritating at times having to re-dose during the day and having to feel the medication wear off during the day until that next 10mg spansule kicks in.

I was just wondering if Vyvanse is a lot longer lasting than the dextro-amphetamine generic spansules? I heard Vyvanse can last up to 12hours+, which would work wonders for me because I wouldn't have to have the whole 'valley' effect of having to feel my dose wear off in the middle of the day like I do with the spansules. Sadly, my HMO doesn't cover Vyvanse in their formulary as of yet though; they only cover dextro-amphetamine spansules and the dextro-amphetamine 5mg IR tab. They don't even cover Adderall XR, only the IR. My only other option for an extended release med under my HMO's formulary would be Concerta, but I'm not a big fan of methylphenidate.

Does anyone know what my other options are? I'm really interested in Vyvanse because of the fact that it lasts all day long instead of having to dose my spansules all day. Also, I know a lot of people like to bash the BARR generic spansules, but would I get a longer duration of effect if I switched to the brand name Dexedrine spansules by GSK? I don't know if I can switch, I'd have to ask my pharmacy at my HMO.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

ginniebean
05-06-10, 04:35 AM
yeah, well adderal is the long lasting dex I think.

bookofmatches
05-06-10, 04:51 AM
yeah, well adderal is the long lasting dex I think.
Well, my HMO's formulary only covers the Adderall generic instant release, not the XRs. They don't cover the Adderal brand name IRs either. Would switching to Adderall generic IRs be any better? Would they last longer than the Dexedrine spansules? I don't really like the levo-amphetamine in the amphetamine/dexamphetamine salts mixture of Adderall though, as it tends to get me a bit too stimulated; that's why I am wondering if Vyvanse lasts longer and if there's any possible way for me to try it out.

tlhengel
05-07-10, 01:20 PM
Firstly...if your insurance won't cover Adderall XR, they most likely won't cover Vyvanse.

You might see some benefit from the GSK branded formula of Dexedrine versus the generic. You won't know unless you try.

And as for Vy lasting 12+ hrs....Rarely! I was on it and it lasted around 6 hours max. Read through the Vyvanse threads and you'll find that it rarely lasts as long as Shire claims it does.

Good luck. We all need it!